“Ok for party goers”

Ranked #160 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
BATH
“Ok for party goers”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The place itself was clean and the room was sea facing, this is an ideal place if you are staying on a hen/stag night or just don't need much sleep, however don't stay if you are catching the early Ferry the next morning, we hardly got a wink of sleep due to the fact that it is sandwiched between a load of night clubs that seem to open until 5am and clubbers still chatting at 6am, Breakfast which was included in our price was not being served until 9am which we had to miss because of our Ferry departure. Do think they could have started breakfasts earlier to cater for all customers not just the hungover younger market who want a lie in.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
St Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

This place claims to be a hotel but is a guest house. They are undergoing refurbishment at the moment but even so I would expect the rooms to have no cobwebs, fully working lights and working television.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I guess you pays your money, but... at about 10.30 pm the music started. It would've been cheaper to sleep on the dance floor. The whole room vibrated. The heating came off at about the same time which is when we noticed the siberian wind coming in through the window. At 1.30 am I used my mobile to call downstairs to ask what time the bar would be closing. I was told it was a 'quiet' night and it wouldn't be much longer. I actually burst out laughing. I also asked for a couple of extra duvets as it was really cold in the room. I had used the cushions and my jacket as a draught excluder! The duvets arrived. One of them was wet! The music eventually died down about 3.30 am but the fun was only just about to start...
After my shower in the morning i opened the door from the bathroom to the bedroom and then the fire alarm went off. So we hurried out onto the street in our pjs. No-one from the hotel was around, just guests in their nightwear. After a few minutes we were told that sometimes when you open the shower door the steam sets off the fire alarm!!
I had booked in for 2 nights but refused to stay another minute. When i approached the woman in reception i said i wanted to check out and she informed me there was a cancellation charge. I explained that i wasn't cancelling but refusing to stay another night because of the noise and the cold room. She immediately got defensive and became quite hostile. I was then told to calm down! My friend took over from there because i had to leave to a) get the parking permit back but more importantly b) to breathe... My friend informed her that i was incredibly calm and it was in her interest to listen to her customers. I had to go back because any refund was going back on my credit card. I was determined to be polite and nice. When i got back there were some more people complaining about the noise and requesting a room change. I kept quiet, smiled sweetly and waited my turn. The woman behind the counter was in fact the owner. Customer care is obviously not her strong point because if it were, she would have realised that telling a customer to calm down once (when they were remarkably calm and polite) was rude. To do so a second time is incredible! I was asked if i was calmer now!! I handed over my credit card and smiled sweetly, informing her in a very calm manner that i had never not been calm.
I had actually found the whole experience funny because it was so farcical.
I have a couple of suggestions
- never have the owner front of house
- decide if you are a hotel/bar/restaurant but if you want to be all three get some sound proofing and draught excluders
- do something about the showers that set off fire alarms
Good luck hosting Olympic guests - both the hotel and the guests are going to need it!

1 Thank lizm036

Travellers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We stayed here for our 1st year anniversary - it was only our own determination that stopped it ruining our weekend!

The Nook has a very pretty website, the bar is certainly very well done, and popular with the locals, but to say it has a "hotel" is insulting.

We booked a refurbished room. The room was small, but was nicely decorated. There was no phone in the room, and no complimentary toiletries or frills at all...no biscuits to go with your cup of tea! There were two windows in the bedroom, one with frosted glass, the other with a view of a brick wall and pigeons. For a "superior" room, I expect a bit of a view! The communal areas of the hotel were tired and bland, I appreciate that a refurb is underway, but basics like good lighting, a lick of paint, new doors, new carpet would generally lift the quality in an instant.

So the bad stuff... We had pre booked a parking permit, but on arrival there was a problem and no permits were available. We were told to go to the pay and display and that they would refund us. I needed to get £18 in coins, and was asked to give the £18 to them to change. After about 20 minutes, and an argument between me and my partner, they agreed to give us the cash from the till. It takes ages to get served in the bar, we waited for about half an hour, while the "mixologists" were slowly serving others, and once our order was placed, it was another 20 minutes before the creations were delivered. Tasty, but not huge drinks, and frustrating that most of the evening is spent standing at the bar waiting, rather than with your friends.

And the REALLY bad stuff... after going to bed, we settled down for the night and went to sleep. Only to be awoken at around 3am by screaming drunkards spilling out into the alleyway behind the building, and right outside our bedroom window! Coupled with a racist tramp shouting obscenities, delightful. As there was no phone in the room, we reached for the mobile phone and rang through to the main number for the bar. We were told they were cashing up, and would speak to the manager in the morning! We called the emergency number displayed on the back of the door, and there was no answer - what if we'd had a REAL emergency?! At around 4.30am things were starting to quiten down, and we were able to catch a few more hours sleep.

We had booked breakfast for around 10am. We went down the stairs, only to find the interconnecting doors to the main bar and brasserie area were locked. We went out onto the street, and found the front door also locked. Again no answer from any phone numbers, so we went to Wetherspoons for breakfast and carried on calling the numbers. Eventually someone answered, but just the kitchen staff opening up. We headed back after breakfast and the manager was still nowhere to be seen, and we were spoken to by the manager of the bar next door instead. The manager appeared some time later and seemed to think that the noise we had experienced was acceptable, and that the work they'd done so far on doing the place up so far was commendable... Personally I do not care. I care that we paid £80 for an absolutely diabolical experience. Travelodge is a better deal by miles! Another hungry and disgruntled customer also appeared questioning why he had had to go elsewhere for his prebooked breakfast.

We DID get our money back, and the cost of our breakfast covered, and a token amount for lunch by way of apology.

I would not recommend anyone stays here unless they're on a stag/hen do and really don't care about the overpricing, excessive noise and abismal service.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Wabbit76
basingstoke
Reviewed 8 July 2010

The Hotel was dirty and dingy with some rooms still dating back to the 70's, the bed base was taped up at the corners and frayed around the edges. In their defence they are refurbishing the hotel but we didn't get offered a refurbished room when we booked and we were unaware that we could have had one at the time of booking. We were given a tiny, dirty single room with a double bed pushed up against the wall with a small gap to get around it!!! The carpets were an absolute disgrace, dated and dirty. The hallway and staircase leading from the front door was dull, dirty and dark, and there was no reception desk. We had to go into the bar to get checked in whilst customers were sitting having a drink and looking at us with all our luggage. When we complained we were informed that they do have some refurbished rooms available but at an extra cost of £20 per night, we were given one such room in the end at no extra cost because we complained about the room being dirty and far too small. The refurbished rooms are very nice but the cleanliness was not to a very good standard. The only plus point was the gorgeous sea view.

We went to bed at around 11 pm and no sooner had we settled down then the band started playing in the pub next door, and it sounded like they were playing in the next room!! the noise was horrendous with all the revelling, shouting and screaming that went along with it. The band played until around 2am but the pub remained open until well past 4am, the police were parked outside the pub and below our window and people were screaming and shouting down the street.

Breakfast was the only nice thing about our stay, the food was good, so no complaints there. The bar area is very nice and clean and the staff were friendly.

We would advise anyone not stay at this hotel unless you have booked a refurbished room and not one of the tired and worn out rooms, and only if you wish to participate in the revelling of the live music in the bar next door, we like to see a good band play, but its when we want to see them and not have it rammed down our throats late at night when we are trying to sleep. We were initailly told that there may be some disturbance due to the hotel being near to the local bars but we really didn't realise it would be quite as bad and loud as it actually was you won't get any sleep we can promise you that. Certainly not a good place to stay with young children.

• Stayed May 2011