“Lovely stay at The Nook :)”

The Nook Bar, Brasserie & Hotel
Ranked #160 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Andover, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay at The Nook :)”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I really don't know what some people expect for there money... I have just returned from a lovely couple of days in Weymouth and stayed for 1 night at the Nook. A lovely little place that I feel deserves a good review. After reading all the bad reviews I was expecting a really awful place
( and i am quite fussy) however I stayed here with my friend and our two daughters (age 6 & 7) we shared a family room (room 7).The room was exactly as it is in the photo's, with modern decor, clean fresh bedding and towels, clean bathroom, TV, Tea/Coffee facilities and a lovely sea view and all for £90, Which we thought was good value for money. The staff were really friendly and helpful, when our hot water wasn't working in the shower, they had it sorted in 5 minutes..no problem!! The location is perfect, with the beach just across the road and the shops, restaurants, bars and attractions are all on your doorstep. The bar area of the Nook is lovely and modern with a lovely little chill out area to relax in and plenty of comfy seating outside too which we took advantage of as the weather was so nice. Great cocktail menu, the piña colada that i tried was lush.
This is a guest house and not a bed & breakfast so the breakfast is not included in the price but this is stated on the website, and you can order a full English for £5.95, which we did and it was lovely and all freshly cooked to order, there are lots of other venues offering breakfasts, that may be cheaper that you can look out for too. A lot of people reviewing seem unhappy about the parking situation, but again it does state on the website there is no car park and charges will apply when parking along the seafront which can cost upto £20 a day, which is why we used the park at my drive website and paid £6 per day to park on a residents drive just a few streets away...No problem !! After checkout at 11am we were able to leave our bags in another room so that we could enjoy another full day without carrying our bags everywhere, which was really helpful.
Yes there is a lot of loud noise from the bar below, and some people may not be able to cope with this as it does continue til the early hours, but both our girls fell asleep ok and slept through the night and once my friend and I stopped chatting after midnight we both slept ok too, but once again the website does make it clear that there may be loud noise at night Especially on the weekends so I think it's unfair for people to complain so much when they could have chosen somewhere quieter. The Nook caters for all ages, ( we are 43 & 45) but if you prefer a more 'old school' B&B then it may not be for you, all in all we had a really lovely weekend and enjoyed staying at The Nook and will definately return next summer.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view family room ask for room 7
2 Thank Tina B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Set in a perfect location, over looking the beach and that was probably the only good bit! When checking in the barman had no idea where we should park! Cost more to park then the room did. The room was well kitted out and althouth the decor was modern the windows didnt shut properly and there was mould everwhere.We got back to our room at about midnight and the noise, not just from next door but people walking through the streets was horrific and continued until nearly 530 am! people up and down the stairs slamming doors and shouting throughout the night.No information in the rooms about the area or where to get food etc. Next time will sleep in the car!!! Weymouth itself was amazing! Beautiful place, plenty to do and stunning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived at The Nook and for some reason we had to go next door to another bar to pay because their card machine wasnt working or they didnt have one. What I dont get is why there is a tearoom/cafe in between the Nook and then theres a door on the other side saying "hotel entrance" but you couldnt get in that way. There were 4 of us, my mum, my step dad, my step sister and I, we got shown to our rooms and me and my step sister were having our own room and when we got to the room it was a double room and we had asked for a twin room. It was raining on this day and outside our room the carpet had a patch where it was wet where it had leaked. The door in the room was all tatty, the carpet wasnt very clean and the paint was chipped on the walls and the walls cracked. We told the girl at the bar that none of this was adequate for us. So we gave the keys back and found another guest house which was much nicer and was an actual guest house. Will never ever stay here again and I wouldnt recommend it to anybody.

2 Thank Kay96_12
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 August 2012

the windows in my room were dirty, no hairdryer, the tv in my father's room didn't work, the staff in the bar tried to be helpful but were not very. Lovely view on the bay from my room though. Very very noisy at night, due to night club next door. However the cocktails served in the bar downstairs were delicious!

1 Thank abiflo
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My partner and I stayed at The Nook Bar, Brasserie and Hotel recently and on the whole enjoyed our stay. The comments about this being the worst place that people have stayed seem a bit much to me - is it the best hotel on earth? No. Clearly not, but I've stayed in far worse places.

The room that we stayed in was clean and bright, and had a very nice sea view. It was noisy, but that was more due to people walking back from pubs late at night than it was the fault of the hotel itself. We also ate in the restaurant on the night of our visit, which seemed pretty fairly priced, and the food in itself was quite lovely.

The biggest criticism I could lodge against The Nook is that they've clearly tried to achieve a very high spec and modern finish, this isn't something that they've achieved entirely - but that isn't to the detriment of a stay there. The finish that they were trying to achieve, with lovely coloured pools of light, a very high end experience couldn't really have been achieved in the space available, and what I would imagine would be a somewhat limited budget.

We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Very dissapointing stay. Overpriced- but maybe due to the Olympics. Would never stay there again.
The bedding was clean but the actual pillows and deuvet was thin. Couldn't open the window so very very hot. There were exposed wires in the shower room and the sink was leaking. TV didn't work.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank SBW2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My friends and Mum and I stayed at The Nooke Guesthouse for one night as we were in Weymouth to watch the Olympic Sailing in August 2012.

It was appalling. It was £200 for a family room for 4 people which was ridiculously over priced for the state of the Hotel. Our room clearly had not been decorated since the early 90's, the carpet was filthy, stained in places, chewing gum stuck in it and was actually coming away from the walls. The (woodchip) wallpaper was peelling off the walls in parts and there were stains on the ceiling.

The bathroom facilities were very dated and not clean. There were actually wires hanging out of the wall.

The beds were uncomfortable with questionable clean sheets. The television did not work and was covered in dust. Tea/coffee making facilities in the room were very poor. The window had wooden bars over it so could not be opened so the room was very hot. It is also noisy as the Hotel's bar is directly below and loud music pumps out till late at night.

The staff were very unhelpful and were not even apologetic when I told them the light in the bathroom did not work.

I cannot stress how bad this place is, it looks NOTHING like the photo's on the website so don't be drawn in! It makes Fawlty Towers look like a 5 star flash hotel.

Laura

Room Tip: I cannot imagine that there are any good rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends