“you wont sleep”

The Nook Bar, Brasserie & Hotel
Ranked #161 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Although they advertise that there may be some noise, what they dont say is that the bar/club next door is EXCEPTIONALLY NOISY and open until 5.30am, so if you want to get any sleep dont stay here. We stayed for 1 night 20th October and that was 1 night too many. We started in room No1 well I think that must be directly above the club because I felt like I was in there(and I was wearing earplugs). Firstly you have to do your business throught the bar, there are no staff in the guest house and after the bar closes at 2.30am I dont know if anyone is available although they do provide a mobile number for you to call !!!!! The bathroom door stuck everytime you shut it and you had the fight to get it open again.The windows (old sash style) didnt have any locks on them and they obviously need work because fresh air comes through them along with the noise. At 1.15am I went down to bar and asked to be moved to a quiter room, so my son and I were moved to room No 4, this has seen better days, same problem with windows, this bathroom door didnt even shut there were water stains on ceilings and walls and it got very cold overnight. The noise was not so bad there you had to listen to all the revellers making their way home down the road behind the guest house (not as bad as the contast noise of thudding music)except for the drunken brawls. I am NOT a fussy person but their advertising (on Booking.com) cleary needs updating too read very noisy and lively, also their postcode which is wrong we couldn't locate it using a SatNav, had to ask a chap from next door the correct postcode which is DT4 8DG not DT4 8TG as advertised.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the quiter rooms unless you want to be awake all night.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Teri57
There are newer reviews for The Nook Bar, Brasserie & Hotel

Reviewed 11 October 2012

If only I had read the reviews first!!! First day and usual payment requested immediately. This because people would just get up & leave.
The room again tiny and shabby, had the radiatior on all night & you could open the window, because the noise was bad enough when closed. This mainly from a constant generator, night club, drunks peeing up the outside wall...... I could go on. With 15 minutes sleep I find myself writing a review at 02:39am! As I can't sleep & I have never written a complaint in my life, but the exeriancd really is that bad!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Wildvibes
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Having stayed at the Nook hotel just last night I've decided to write (my first) review. Instead of listing my bad experiences I will just describe the hotel as honestly as I can.

The hotel itself has no staff, all of the transactions and queries are handled by the staff in the bar next door (of the same name) who to their credit are very helpful given the facilities they have to work with!

The main door to the accommodation is a key entry affair leading to a narrow staircase which climbs three floors.

The hotel is clearly a very tired old guesthouse with a thin and poorly applied lick of paint, cheap carpets and cheaply tarted up rooms. The tiny room we stayed in (number 6) was typical of this description, thin curtains, thin carpet, flimsy 'furniture' , cheap bedding, rattly drafty sash window, no wardrobe (Just a hook on the back of the bathroom door).

The left hand side of the hotel ajoins a two storey nightclub which has a 24 hour licence, the music and patrons continue late into the early hours. In our case 5.30am, if you're looking to get a good nights sleep you'll need earplugs!

The only reason we didn't walk out was because it was late and we'd struggle to find alternative accommodation.

My feeling is that this hotel would suit a bunch of youngsters in town on a stag / hen party, just somewhere to crash without being too concerned about the surroundings. If you're looking for a comfortable and relaxing place to spend one or more nights whilst in the area, my advice is to look at the numerous alternatives in the area!

Room Tip: Somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tunneruk
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I really don't know what some people expect for there money... I have just returned from a lovely couple of days in Weymouth and stayed for 1 night at the Nook. A lovely little place that I feel deserves a good review. After reading all the bad reviews I was expecting a really awful place
( and i am quite fussy) however I stayed here with my friend and our two daughters (age 6 & 7) we shared a family room (room 7).The room was exactly as it is in the photo's, with modern decor, clean fresh bedding and towels, clean bathroom, TV, Tea/Coffee facilities and a lovely sea view and all for £90, Which we thought was good value for money. The staff were really friendly and helpful, when our hot water wasn't working in the shower, they had it sorted in 5 minutes..no problem!! The location is perfect, with the beach just across the road and the shops, restaurants, bars and attractions are all on your doorstep. The bar area of the Nook is lovely and modern with a lovely little chill out area to relax in and plenty of comfy seating outside too which we took advantage of as the weather was so nice. Great cocktail menu, the piña colada that i tried was lush.
This is a guest house and not a bed & breakfast so the breakfast is not included in the price but this is stated on the website, and you can order a full English for £5.95, which we did and it was lovely and all freshly cooked to order, there are lots of other venues offering breakfasts, that may be cheaper that you can look out for too. A lot of people reviewing seem unhappy about the parking situation, but again it does state on the website there is no car park and charges will apply when parking along the seafront which can cost upto £20 a day, which is why we used the park at my drive website and paid £6 per day to park on a residents drive just a few streets away...No problem !! After checkout at 11am we were able to leave our bags in another room so that we could enjoy another full day without carrying our bags everywhere, which was really helpful.
Yes there is a lot of loud noise from the bar below, and some people may not be able to cope with this as it does continue til the early hours, but both our girls fell asleep ok and slept through the night and once my friend and I stopped chatting after midnight we both slept ok too, but once again the website does make it clear that there may be loud noise at night Especially on the weekends so I think it's unfair for people to complain so much when they could have chosen somewhere quieter. The Nook caters for all ages, ( we are 43 & 45) but if you prefer a more 'old school' B&B then it may not be for you, all in all we had a really lovely weekend and enjoyed staying at The Nook and will definately return next summer.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view family room ask for room 7
2  Thank Tina B
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Set in a perfect location, over looking the beach and that was probably the only good bit! When checking in the barman had no idea where we should park! Cost more to park then the room did. The room was well kitted out and althouth the decor was modern the windows didnt shut properly and there was mould everwhere.We got back to our room at about midnight and the noise, not just from next door but people walking through the streets was horrific and continued until nearly 530 am! people up and down the stairs slamming doors and shouting throughout the night.No information in the rooms about the area or where to get food etc. Next time will sleep in the car!!! Weymouth itself was amazing! Beautiful place, plenty to do and stunning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived at The Nook and for some reason we had to go next door to another bar to pay because their card machine wasnt working or they didnt have one. What I dont get is why there is a tearoom/cafe in between the Nook and then theres a door on the other side saying "hotel entrance" but you couldnt get in that way. There were 4 of us, my mum, my step dad, my step sister and I, we got shown to our rooms and me and my step sister were having our own room and when we got to the room it was a double room and we had asked for a twin room. It was raining on this day and outside our room the carpet had a patch where it was wet where it had leaked. The door in the room was all tatty, the carpet wasnt very clean and the paint was chipped on the walls and the walls cracked. We told the girl at the bar that none of this was adequate for us. So we gave the keys back and found another guest house which was much nicer and was an actual guest house. Will never ever stay here again and I wouldnt recommend it to anybody.

2  Thank Kay96_12
Reviewed 25 August 2012

the windows in my room were dirty, no hairdryer, the tv in my father's room didn't work, the staff in the bar tried to be helpful but were not very. Lovely view on the bay from my room though. Very very noisy at night, due to night club next door. However the cocktails served in the bar downstairs were delicious!

1  Thank abiflo