“Well looked after”

Lilac Villa Guest House
Ranked #37 of 166 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at Lilac Villa for a few days in March. The new owners looked after me well, provided an excellent breakfast and helped with anything I requested. The room was spotless and comfortable. I'll visit again in the future.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank James M

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Mary and Stephen (the new owners) were very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were keen to help me. I have stayed in much more expensive establishments in the past that were not a patch on Lilac Villa. The place was very good value, the decor was high quality, the room was more than adequate with comfortable beds, and the breakfast area was nicely laid out. The breakfasts were excellent - I had the full English - with fresh, good quality ingredients that were very nicely cooked. I was only there for two nights but would happily have stayed there for longer.

Room Tip: Tell Mary and Stephen what your requirements are - they will select the best room for your needs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2014

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel so welcome. The owners Mary and Stephen took over not long ago but you wouldn't have known as our stay was seamless from start to finish. We stayed with two young children who really enjoyed the stay and they're own room, we stayed in the main house in rooms 1 and 2. Breakfast was lovely, poached eggs we can recommend! The beds are comfy, rooms spotlessly clean - as were the new bathrooms. Lilac villa is a short bus journey (3mins) to the sea front or a 20 min walk with the bus stop just outside the B&B and buses running fairly regularly so you do not have to wait very long (we purchased the weymouth day ticket which was £3 and could take you further afield if required). We would definitely return to Lilac villa and thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. New owners, Mary and Stephen are fantastic! The rooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable and the bathrooms were gorgeous! The facilities in the room were great! Tea/coffee, biscuits, TV/DVD combi with freeview. I had a patio door leading onto the garden with a gate taking you out to the parking at the rear! Breakfast in the mornings was lovely with a choice of continental and/or full English! The dinning room is lovely, spacious and bright with a little snug bar in the corner where you can relax and watch a bit of tv, listen to music or chat to the owners Mary and Stephen, who can't do enough to make sure you have an enjoyable stay! The location is very ideal, with a Tesco Express just 2 minutes down the road, a new Sainsburys just a 5 minute drive/bus ride up the road with a Morrison's behind it and a lovely new Beefeater which I would highly recommend! (Book in advance though as it gets very busy) There's a bus stop right outside the guest house which the number 2 and 10 take you right down to the sea front which is a lovely sandy beach! There are lots to do and see! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and Mary and Stephen are the nicest landlord/lady I have ever met at a B'n'B and definitely helped with my stay! I would highly recommend the Lilac Villa to friends/family and others. The house is very homely and warm and can't wait to go back in the summer to see the owners again and have another lovely stay at the Lilac Villa guest house!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Åmãńdä Â
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The new owner, Mary Herron, took over on 31.01.14, I arrived, for a one night stay on 4.02.14. I stayed in room 6 which was on the ground floor as I avoid stairs whenever possible because of my arthitis. The room was spotless and the bathroom was beautiful. My breakfast was excellent. Mary and her husband were very friendly and as they had not yet got PDQ facilities, I paid in cash. Subsequently, Mary rang me to tell me that she thought my credit card had also been debited for the night's stay. It transpired that this was the case though it was the previous owners who had taken the payment from my card. I'm still confused as to how they did this, as Late Rooms.com are adamant that they do not authorise any payments to the owners. Their booking terms clearly state that payment has to be made at the place of booking. Top marks to Mary for contacting me and telling me of the error, which has been rectified. That's going the extra yards for the customer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Mike W
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here as I was working in the area, check-in from 2pm was ideal, the room was spotless and had everything you need (best ginger biscuits Ive ever had). Car parking onsite, a lovely breakfast and warm welcome. It's nice to stay in a B&B that's set up for the guests instead of the owners, I'll be back

Room Tip: Try the bar onsite rather than the pub up the road
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is a very good B&B and one that I would recommend. Everything was very clean and much of it looked either new or had been replaced recently. The room was a good size, clean and did not show any signs of wear & tear. The en-suite bathroom looked new and was spotlessly clean.
The B&B is set back from the main Dorchester road which can get very busy, but it was never a real problem to us even though we had a window at the front of the property. There was some traffic noise from about 07:00 until about 09:00 but it was no problem at other times. Buses pick up about every 7 to 10 minutes from just outside, or it takes about 15 minutes to walk to the beach front.
The cooked breakfast was excellent.
Just a couple of minor points to mention about the breakfast. From a personal point of view, I would have liked to choose or select what I wanted at breakfast time. I would have preferred to choose if I wanted fruit juice (and if so what flavour) and what cereal, (you never got both – just one or the other) but once requested on day one, you were automatically given this for the rest of the stay. I would have preferred a bit more flexibility to choose it from a side table or not have this at all if I did not want it. We were also told that breakfast was served at 08:30 (not as it says on the web site “From” 07:30 to 09:15) and everyone turned up dead on the dot of 08:30.
The second was an unusual thing at breakfast – my friends wife was given a lovely plate of a cooked breakfast, but as soon as it was placed in front of her, it was taken away saying “sorry that’s the wrong breakfast – it’s a mans one as it has TWO eggs”. For the remainder of our stay there, we noticed that every day the man had two eggs but a woman only has one egg. Strange, especially as some of the women were bigger & heavier than their male partners.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it, but I just think they need to be a bit more flexible about breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple