“All things considered......not too bad, really!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Prince Regent

Hotel Prince Regent
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Surrey, UK.
“All things considered......not too bad, really!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here on a three day mini-holiday. The car parking was a challenge, as there are only a few spaces, and they are difficult to manoeuvre into. Having said that, the hotel car park is indoors, locked at night so is secure, and totally free. Try paying the silly sums in the local car parks and you will really appreciate this facility. We stayed in Room 323, on the third floor, with a sea view. The room was spacious and very clean. The bathroom had free shampoo and free shower caps but not any free shower lotion, which seemed a bit odd. The wooden sash windows only opened bottom up, rather than top down, which meant that there might be a health & safety issue if children were to be in the room, as it would be only too easy to get too close to the window to take in the gorgeous view and then fall out. The double bed turned out to be two singles pushed together, but they were enormous, and unbelievably comfortable. We were surprised that the TV in the room only picked up terrestrial programmes in this day and age, but we were not there to watch telly anyway, so it wasn't a problem. The staff were pleasant enough, although they didn't smile much. Mind you, most of these establishments employ too few staff to do too much work, for too many hours for the minimum pay possible, so you could hardly expect them to be happy and smiling like Cheshire cats all of the time! The breakfast was a little disorganised and slow, but the food was perfectly acceptable. Interesting, and unusual, that the entire waiting staff seemed to be male. The dining room (and the central staircase) had all of the windows shut, and it was quite humid and uncomfortable being in there. Many people were wiping their brows, fanning their faces and generally looking out of sorts during the meal. There was a problem regarding the old-fashioned lift; my wife is partly disabled and needed to use it, as did many older residents in the hotel. The lift had an outer and an inner gate, and if these weren't shut properly, the lift stayed put at the floor that it was on. Despite notices informing people to ensure that both gates were shut, it was evidently too much trouble for an anti-social minority, so this proved to be an irritation. Overall though, it was a good experience, and we would definitely go there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Just got back from a stay at Prince Regent Weymouth. Have to say that some reviews on here are odd. Parking is very tight, have to agree with other reviews on that. Food is excellent, hot, what more do you need or breakfast than help yourself to eggs, fried or scrambled, tomato, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, beans, pastries, cereal, prunes, grapefruit or kippers, tea, coffee, toast, orange juice, apple juce or grapefuit juice! Evening meals were very tasty and healthy, with lots of veg and potatoes with expertly cooked meat. Puddings were a delight too. Waiting staff very friendly and efficient. Free wifi, great location on Esplanade. The hotel could do with refurbishing - perhaps write to Best Western as they own the hotel, to get the place up to scratch for the olympics in 2012. We have stayed in lots of b&bs in weymouth, believe me, most are rubbish.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Weymouthfan
Ulster
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Thankfully myself and my colleagues (we are a Pipe Band which took part in the Tolpuddle Martyrs Festival) only had one night to stay in this establishment.
I had contacted the hotel on the evening prior to our arrival in order to sort out room sharing arrangements. The receptionist I spoke to didn't want to know. She said it could be sorted out on arrival.
The following day we arrived around 1400 hours. They had allocated all the rooms and when I stated their allocations would have to be altered they were not happy. Eventually I was able to sort things out, however, if the girl had assisted me on the previous evening our check-in experience would have been a whole lot smoother for everyone.
On entering the room (number 120) I immediately realised there had been very little investment in this hotel in recent years. The decor was very dated, the furniture was quite shabby and old.
One of the first things I noticed was the padded headboards. There were very large grease marks on them as a result of numerous people resting against them over the years.
The next item I looked at shocked me terribly. I lifted one of the pillows. The pillow case looked clean but underneath it I noticed a large dark stain, approximately three times the size of a £2 coin. I removed the pillow from its slip and found to my horror a large dried blood stain.
I took the soiled item immediately down to reception and presented it to the yound girl beind the desk. Instead of an appology she simply said "OK" and placed the pillow on a shelf below her. She then continued to carry on with the task she had been doing.
We did not eat in the hotel, instead we went as a group (15 in total) to Moby Dicks. You turn right on leaving the hotel and approximately 500 yards or so the restaurant is on your right. I can highly recommend this eatery. The food and service was great. In fact we spent the rest of the night there.
Another fact which surprised us was the hotel bars not being opend to residents on a Saturday afternoon (the day of our arrival). They did not open until 1700 hours. What a loss of revenue as we went to a couple of bars in the town for a light lunch and some liquid refreshment.
Sleep was almost impossible because of the stifling heat. My room was at the back of the hotel and outside the window was the ugliest fire escape I had ever seen.
On Sunday morning I took a shower in a bathroom which had quite a lot of mold in it. Drying myself off was quite difficult, again because of the heat. I sat on the bed and watch the beads of sweat ooze out of my arms and legs. Even with the window open there just was not an air.
The breakfast on Sunday morning was just OK, nothing special. We were checking out right after breakfast. No one thanked us for staying with them nor asked if we enjoyed our stay.
The staff in this hotel seem totally disinterested in their paying guests.
Thankfully it was just a one night stay and some one else was paying for us. I certainly would not pay my hard earned cash to stay in this place.
Avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

My annual holiday once again included The Regent. As always the service was superb from all staff who made my stay very comfortable.Excellent food and bar facilities which is one of the reasons I return to this hotel. Have tried others in town over the years but this is by far the best.
As usual stayed on the top floor in the same room I had last year.You get a good deal and a discount as the lift only goes to the floor below but that does not bother me in the slightest. What I saved on discount I spent, and more, in the bar. Well I was on holiday.
Look forward to the next time

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Davieboy
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

The room was a great size with an ensuite bathroom, clean and comfortable, even with a travel cot.
The breakfast was lovely and everything we asked for was provided. At all meals a high chair was provided and appropriate cutlery for our baby.
It was a lovely stay and would recommend The Prince Regent to anyone.
The only down side was the parking at the hotel as it was very difficult to park and not many spaces. The hotel will provide parking permits for local roads but that means that you have to carry all of your stuff to the hotel - which can be a lot when you have a child.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HarryHarris1000
Farnham, Surrey, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

This hotel lives in the 18th century and is a great worry for the 2012 Olympics as it can only put up its already high (and not value for money) prices for probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in the UK. It appears to have gone drastically downhill since better reviews of 2007.

Are there any good points? Location (in town and on beach with fairly easy on street parking) and most staff are friendly and helpful except the Manager who is unpleasant to customers, unhelpful and 'jobs worth'.

Bad points? ALOT.
Very dirty and incredibly small room that had too much furniture so couldn't work at the dressing table. The shower had black mould, carpet was not vacuumed, bread was found in dressing table, table lamp bulb gone, nowhere to put soap bag in bathroom except on floor which was dirty around edges and found used tissue behind waste bin from previous occupant, all glass surface areas not polished.
Staff have had no customer service training so although are friendly do not understand what different customers want from a hotel. When I checked in I was immediately told the 'restaurant was full that night'. They do however offer a sandwich and jacket potato room service option which is not suitable for someone who is traveling on business.

Someone needs to turn what could be a great hotel around so we are not embarrassed in front of the whole world in 2012.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

Myself and two colleagues were booked in here by our employer for a one night stay. We were booked into double sea rooms all with sea views (the good bit). The check-in girl was terse to say the least! and was more interested in talking to her boyfriend at the counter. My room was large enough, but it was very dated and tired looking. So as not to ramble I will bullet point the rest.

The decor is well in need of modernising.
The double bed was two singles.
Mattress saggy and 'old' feeling.
en-suite tired, slightly grubby and leaky shower.
TV picture was very poor on a very dated free-standing set.
Wallpaper peeling.
Room warm and muggy.
Yellow pages 3 years out of date (trivial I know, but sums up the whole place really)
Breakfast (continental) embarrassingly shoddy.

I could go on but wont, suffice to say it is well supported by the older community, if you are planning to stay here with a family I really would think again you WILL be dissapointed. Leave it to the coach parties and find somewhere not caught up in a time warp!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business