“Friendly hotel right by the harbour.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Berkshire
“Friendly hotel right by the harbour.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Very comfortable bed and good sized bathroom. The bathroom has a heater which was very welcome as the nights were cold outside. The bedroom was centrally heated and to a nice degree.Adequate furniture in the bedroom including a desk. Good sized wardrobe. Nice little partial view of the harbour from the window.
The staff are just great. Friendly and very helpful.
Location of the hotel is great. Right by the harbour.
The hotel is a little bit shabby e.g. doors are a bit scuffed. Soap supplied in the bathrooms but no shampoo or body wash but I always bring my own anyway so that wasn't a problem. Sounds in other rooms can be clearly heard so I think the walls might be a bit thin.
But I still slept well and the prices charged by the hotel are very reasonable. Breakfast starts at 08.30 but the hotel will open the dining room before that time if you prefer to have an early breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cat C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Melksham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights mid sunny March. Was politely greeted, checked in & given instruction where to park our car. We then went to our room, where we had a partial view of the harbour. The room was clean with a comfy bed, tea & coffee facilities & flat screen TV, my only dig about the room is that it needed updating in the decor department, as did the rest of the hotel. The breakfasts were excellent. The most outstanding thing is the staff, so friendly & helpful. Would stay here again, great location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two nights and received great customer service. It was spotlessly clean, served lovely food and offered superb value for money.
Central location too for shopping and the harbour, would definitely stay again.
A fab mini break!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul T
Viareggio, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

If you like the motto 'you get what you pay for' this hotel will suit you perfectly. It is an old style british hotel with pub and restaurant in it.

I choosed it as one of the cheapest options in town being prepared for the 'traditional' smelly, crappy old room (many refs on tripadvisor state that)... but surprisingly my room was tidy and newly refurbished. It was reasonably big with good extra space, a desk and a window from which real sky was seen (not the brick wall that sometimes you get from a back window of these old hotels).
English breakfast was not amazing but ok.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Naturalchoice
Attleborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Such a surprise - excellent service from staff, good food (porridge at breakfast was luvverly, comfortable bed and a great location just a few minutes from the sea. Who can complain at that? Definitely worth a re-visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iris W
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We have just spent the last two days at the hotel , The service and staff were excellent and the hotel was situated in an ideal position. The breakfast was first class and the reception team were very helpful , The tall grey haired manager took my luggage to the room and park my car what a wonderful hotel

well done

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gavin S
Dorcheser, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I live in weymouth and due to water damage i couldn't stay in my flat so had to find a hotel for me and my 2 yr old daughter , so we chose the crown hotel.
Our first few days we stayed in a tiny room with 2 single beds in it and we only stayed in it 1 night as we heard a humming noise which kept us awake so the receptionist moved us to a different room which had a double and a single bed in it. It was much bigger than the previous room which was nice as my daughter had some room to play in. The room was nice and clean for the first week but i think after us being there they started slacking on cleaning. My bedding didn't get changed for a couple days even though it had clear marks and stains on it , the cups were just rinsed under the tap , i mean we were there 3 weeks so i do wonder if that was the same cups we had from the 1st moment we arrived to the moment we left.
Some of the staff were really friendly while others we just plain rude and stuck up. The way they would look at us made me feel very uncomfortable.
The food was very nice and the restaurant staff were very nice and polite, the plates could of been bigger as it was pretty much falling off the plate and it was just on top of each other.
Other than that the food was lovely. The beans were not very nice they seemed to have a mint taste so didn't have them again and the scrambled egg they did for my daughter was was to runny and she didn't eat it which I'm glad off as she would of probably had a bad stomach.
The hotel is more for elderly people than anyone else. We felt completely out of place and i don't think the staff liked my daughter and me being there, shes 2 years old so can be very noisy and every time we entered the hotel she would run in due to excitement and the staff would give me funny looks because of this, i mean shes only young and its a new experience so i don't understand what the problem was. She didn't hurt anyone or upset any customers as i had many tell me how beautiful and lovely she is. She got told of for going into the bar but one of the managers would take her in there and give her a lolly and the next minute another would tell her off , if they don't like her being in there then they shouldn't invite her like the one did. They should provide something for children as there isn't any thing, i know they have a lounge but all that's in there in books for older people. They could put toys in there and maybe a television , the room is big enough to put one in the room in the corner just to entertain the kids. Would be nice to have WI-FI in the rooms , i had my laptop which i couldn't use unless i went into the lounge but after a few minutes my daughter got bored or it was her bedtime so we had to stay in the room with basic TV.
I wouldn't stay here again as i didn't feel very welcome even though by the end of my stay they had quite a few hundred pound off us. Think they need to re train their staff and maybe teach some of them to smile. Common courtesy doesn't cost anything.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family