“Bad choice for me...restaurant is terrible”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Hove
“Bad choice for me...restaurant is terrible”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Booked in for one night on business B&B and evening meal. First impression of room, very basic but clean, paper thin walls, could hear my next door neighbour if though he was in my room, avoid room 21!. Staff in the hotel were pleaWas advised by reception that evening meal is between 6pm-7:30pm, ok a short window of opportunity, glad i did not arrive there after 7:30pm otherwise I would have missed that, but was looking forward to the meal having been tempted by their online sample menu when booking. What a mistake that was, I arrived in restaurant and 6:20pm, the place was empty, I found a male member of staff by the kitchen who looked me up and down and said "yeah", I asked if they were open, he said "no, you best go upstairs and talk to reception as we have a party we are catering for tonight". So back upstairs, spoke to a pleasant receptionist who was confused why they were not open and asked me to take a seat in the bar while they bought me a menu. Menu arrived, nothing like the sample menu on-line, this was hugely disappointing and uninspiring, a limited choice of deep fried turkey, deep fried fish, or a vegetarian pasta for main. I ordered, and then waited to be called to the restaurant, 5 mins later I am led back to the basement by a lovely member of staff and passed to a waitress who then offered the worst single seat dining position in the restaurant (right by the main door where everyone is walking in and out of), I asked if I could sit somewhere else, bearing in mind there was lots of empty tables (even with the party of people sat at their tables) Well if looks could kill, she said well it is either that one, or that one, and pointed to another single seat table stuck in a dark dingy corner. They know how to make you feel good here!, food arrived "bombay Chicken" dry overcooked leftover chicken probably from previous night cooked in a curry sauce, the main was breaded frozen turkey escolape deep dried with deep fried potatoes and some fresh veg (at least I had something fresh), dessert was Cheesecake that had not defrosted properly with frozen berries on it, I took one mouthful of that and decided to leave that. I then saw another menu, and picked it up and saw some nice looking dishes, I asked how come I was not offered this?, and was told, "oh no, we just do a set menu tonight". This is a contradiction to what was told to me on the phone when booking, where I could have anything from the restaurant menu, I felt dupped. The food was horrible and the service from the waitress was unpleasant. I really would not recommend this place, maybe my expectations are high on food, and so they should be if you are paying to eat out. The venomous manners of the waitress was unpleasant, not verbally but you can read a lot by body language and voice tonality, I hope she was just having a bad day and not like this all the time. Good luck, if you stay here.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank TJRHove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Masterchef eat your heart out!

Fabulous Mothering Sunday lunch for five very spoiled mummies! The restaurant was completely full but we still felt unrushed and well-served by the charming and attentive staff throughout. Relaxed atmosphere for a drinkie in the bar before lunch, then down to a comfortable, cozy restaurant setting downstairs.

A few highlights: the pate was very smooth, elegantly presented, and quite delicious; Portabello mushrooms were spectacularly flavourful; lamb main course was particularly tender, with a melt-in-your mouth perfect texture, tasty gravy, and perfectly complimented by the lovely side-veg; apple pie & custard was divine, shortbread, fresh strawberries, and chantilly cream was beautifully presented and both refreshing and delicious!

All in all we couldn't fault this lovely meal. Compliments to the chef & his team, and we will definitely be back for more.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michelles190817
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Well situated for the town and beach. Warm welcome and rooms clean and warm. Food plentiful with substantial breakfast and evening dining excellent with freshly prepared food whilst you wait.
Staff very friendly and helpful. About 10/15 minutes walk from train station for those without a car.
Highly recommended but choose a room at the back not to have noise from fairground across the road from hotel affecting your sleep!! Although at this time of year not much problem of noise.

Room Tip: At back of hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Good efficient check in which posed no problems. Room was spacious and clean. A beautiful hotel with a sweeping staircase and loaded with history and character. We ate a super evening meal waiting in the bar whilst our meal was prepared. Waiter was excellent. Breakfast again fresh and plentiful. Only gripe was the heating, these are rooms with high ceilings and large single glazed windows. Although the heat was on full blast the windows provided plenty of draught therefore quite cold!! We would return.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We were in a group and were very pleased with the hotel, It has obviously been refurbished and our room was very clean and well-presented. The TV was not quite right and when I told Reception the Manager came up and fixed it but said a new cable was needed - and it was done next day !!!
Meals were good - staff training in the Restaurant could be improved but all the staff were very helpful and pleasant.
Wonderful location.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are really good and the lift worked well
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This was our first trip to Weymouth, and on first impressions Hotel exterior looked very jaded, and did not give a good impression, however once inside, we were treated to a warm welcome from reception, and the decor was very good, We were given room 1 with a balcony, which was ideal for the wife as she cannot walk far, and it is next to the lift. room was very pleasant only disappointment was a severe draft from the windows, and the smallest TV screen I have seen, en suite nicely laid out. Dining was a pleasure, the waiter was excellent on both nights, and the food was cooked fresh and was very appetising, breakfast is a must, decor very appealing as well, definitely a recommendation. we stayed for 3 nights, and althought the weather was not the greatest we had a very good experience, do not feel that the extra cost for the balcony during winter is warranted, but definitely for the summer months, would definitely come back when the weather is better, and a seaview room is a must. overall a great stay thank you all!!

Room Tip: Room with a seaveiw a must
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peripete
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We have stayed at the Rex on many occasions and have never been disappointed. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, the rooms are very comfortable and the food is always of high standard. Great location with the beach, harbour and town all within walking distance. Will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: "Sea view rooms are larger and brighter"
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends