“Great room, shame about the food”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Apparently the Rex was built in 1795 and has a brilliant position close to the ferry terminal with brilliant views across the bay.
Luckily I had looked at the previous reviews before I arrived and booked garage parking as even though it was the beginning of October all the parking bays outside or even close to the hotel were full. The garage cost an extra £8 per night and you need a map from reception to find it. There is room for 4 cars in the garage and is good secure parking.
We had booked room 4, it has a great view of the bay with lovely high windows and even the ability to sit on a small balcony if you wanted. The room also has a four poster bed and much to our surprise a fantastic Jacuzzi bath.
Checking in had been easy with a nice welcome. The room was very clean so all was fine in the world.
We decided to eat in the hotel rather than go out. The dining area is in the basement and used to be the wine cellars. There were three other couples when we went down but for a while no sign of staff. After a few minutes a member of staff appeared from the kitchen and sat us in one of the bays, giving us only the menu for 2 or 3 courses rather than the additional table d'hote. We were asked if we wanted to see the wine list and initially not offered the free glass of wine that came with the menu offered. When we asked for it we received a very ordinary glass of red wine.
I ordered the mixed grill and my wife the sirloin steak. The steak was cooked to her requirement as was mine amongst the grill. However there was no taste to the food and was bland, lacked seasoning. The sausage in the mixed grill looked as though it came from the value range rather than anything of interest. I had to taste it and can confirm it was horrid.
Overnight the bed was comfortable and a reasonable sleep was had.
In the morning we went for breakfast. I had kippers and my wife the full English without the sausage based on the experience the night before. The kipper was fine and the breakfast ok.
I would say that this is a nice hotel to stay in, the room we had was probably a lot more expensive than most but worth it. The food though is bland and needs seasoning or at least something to give it taste.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend at Hotel Rex. All of the staff were friendly. The food was the best we had had out for a long time. We had a beach view which was very nice. Room was very clean. It looked as though it had recently been refurbished. I would reccommend using their parking facilities for a little more as parking spaces in the area is very limited and relatively expensive. Will certainly go back.

Room Tip: Don't let the small amusement park put you off as there is very little noise from it. Go for the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cadder1951
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a few times. It's not the Ritz Carlton and neither does it try to be. Staff are trained and curteas. The rooms are clean and the food I'd good. Will stay here again soon. The best thing us its location. Fifty yards from the beach.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank bombomCardiff
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and very friendly during our whole visit. The rooms were clean and fresh and I was luck enough to have a sea view of the bay which was beautiful. The large TV room was a lovely place to relax during the day time and the bar area was great on the night time. There is a lift with access to all floor which is good as the stair could have been testing with a heavy bag.We also took advantage of the park permit that gave reduced parking rates.
We all had a fantastic time, thankyou.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Martin J
Reviewed 4 September 2013

had a trip booked to st malo with my 14 yr old daughter with condor ferries. was told the ferry would now be leaving weymouth at 8 am instead of 13.30pm so we needed to be in weymouth early. i booked the hotel that evening, receptionist very helpful i said i would be arriving late approx 11.15pm . got to the hotel was welcomed shown to a sea front twin room ,very clean. comfortable beds,balcony ,window opened right up for access.
went down to the bar for a late drink,very nice ,sat in tv lounge.
in the morning we had an earl breakfast, the barman from the night before kindly made us tea and toast in the cellar restruarant and offered us cereals and fruit. he was very helpful and kind to my daughter. thank you.

Room Tip: seafront view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank robbren55
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The hotel staff was friendly and keen to help. Breakfast had a variety of food, but nothing that stands out as different Although it was nice and enjoyed. The room was small for a double and in need of a spruce up and an update, although clean. The attractions/ amusement arcades are across the road all very noisy with lots of holiday visitors,with a lot of youngsters drinking. Hotel ok for price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The staff at this small family hotel were excellent. Helpful, efficient and smiley! I was in a very small single room that for the price, and my purpose, was more than adequate. It was clean, the bed linen crisp and fresh, and the in-room facilities were fine. I did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on their food. I would most certainly stay again in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo