“welcoming”
Review of Hotel Rex

Hotel Rex
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 11 May 2009

hotel comfortable, older people need to use the lift as the stairs arent the best to negotiate. however the staff are friendly and helpful. food was good, and there was a pleasant atmosphere. hotel set in a prime position. would visit again.

c & j...stratford upon avon

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 April 2009

Rooms a bit on the small side and very dated. Bathroom very old fashioned and creaky underfoot.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Food ok nothing special.
Location is this hotels greatest asset with views over the beach and harbour and very central to the town.
To sum up I would stay at this hotel again just for the location and the staff. I would have to have a sea view and not be near a bank holiday when the price is way to expensive for this standard of hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I stayed in the Rex last night on a business stop over in Weymouth.
The room was a single room, which the company had booked for me, I phoned the day before to confirm that I requested a garage parking space. this was confirmed over the phone, but when I arrived at the hotel they didn't have the record of it. After doing some checking they then confirmed that they could fit me in.
Parking can either be out on the road or they do have a limited garage with space for about 5 cars, but on first viewing the garage, I wasn't sure if the roof would be safe for parking the car in! I'm kicking myself that I didn't take a picture of it.
Well, the car survived.

The room was ok, small, but clean although the bathroom could do with a bit of deep clean and the shower was very temperamental. Also there was a shortage of emergency exit signs especially outside my room (31 on the 3rd floor). They provided a kettle, tv and alarm clock (shame the clock didn't work though).
I tried the internet wireless access and obtained a ticket from reception, but shame that it didn't work, so to be honest I decided to go for linking to the web via the mobile and that worked.

Breakfast was ok and have a good selection provided.

Something worth checking though is the prices, as the prices on the web site don't actually match what they charge (bit naughty) and tried to over charge for the room. Ok, it was only a couple of pounds, but if they do that for every guest... Also the parking for a pass out on the road was £3, but although I'd been told that the garage parking was £4, they tried to charge for £5 when I checked out.
Also when my colleague checked out, again a company guest who had a company voucher for £58, they charged £78. Ok, he did have a sea view but the response was that he had a twin room and they didn't have a single room left - strange as my room was booked several days after his booking and I got the room without any probs.

Would I stay again, to be honest I think I'd look for a Holiday Inn or Travelodge instead.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2008

We booked The Rex at short notice so were only able to stay for 2 nights of the 4 that we actually wanted.

We opted for a sea-view room at the front with lovely full length windows overlooking the beach (but also the fair ground as well).
The view would have been better if we were on the 2nd floor.

I would have to agree with previous reviews,in that the noise from the street below was very noticeable. The room was average,in need of some updating.

All in all,we had a plesant stay at The Rex. The staff were friendly, good evening meal in the restaurant,but basic breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2008

This was my first trip to Weymouth.
Booked through Expotel and was supposed to receive a single room with a bath. I received a box-room with a lumpy single bed, no bath and a shower cubicle that nearly kneecapped me whilst sitting on the lav.
The TV was tiny and belonged in a museum.
The decor was also from the middle ages.

I was so disappointed that I avoided the breakfast.

Overall, not the best option for Weymouth - although I have now been told the Rembrandt is the preferred option for most.

Stayed: January 2008
5  Thank Bluenosebob
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Just returned from a very pleasant 3 night break at the Hotel Rex in Weymouth. Me, my 2 children aged 4 and 9 months, and my parents stayed for a short school holiday getaway.

We found it difficult to get available accommodation when we tried to book up the week before, and having tried about 5 hotels, found the Rex had available rooms - and fair reviews on here. Despite them being a bit pricey at £120 per night per room b&b, but at peak season we had to expect this.

We arrived at the hotel and had to unload just outside 'double parked' as it was a very busy parking area and there is no hotel car park. We had an allocated space in a car park a few minutes walk away.

The reception staff, esp Sue, were super friendly, polite and very welcoming of my children. We had sea view rooms on the 2nd floor and the rooms were quite small, particularly noticed with the travel cot in and my 2 kids trying to get around the room to play! Despite this the room was clean, comfy beds, and had all you need. Some of the furniture in the bedroom and bathroom could do with a replacement, but all was functional!

The location was great, approx 30 yards from the beach, right opposite a little fairground and right on the edge of the shops and restaurants. It was therefore quite noisy at night until 11pm, but I didn't find this too bad afterward (and my kids were up late anyway!).

Weymouth itself is really nice, its very family friendly and has a superb beach - the nicest UK beach I have been to in fact. There are lots of restaurants and cafes/bars, and one rcommendation is to visit the old harbour and Brewers Quay area, we went to an excellent restaurant - the Galley Bar & Bistro in Hope Square, really atmospheric with candlelit tables, children's menu and superb service.

The breakfast at the hotel was good, cereal and fruit juices, some fresh fruit, and a choice of the usual, traditional, eggs, kippers etc. And very nice sausages too! Again the waitresses/waiters were quick to serve and corteous - and very friendly to my kids.

All in all the hotel is in a superb location, with excellent staff but is a traditional 3 star English hotel!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family