“Easter weekend”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Lounge/Diner
The Chesil Bank - a view from Portland
View from the Chesil Bank across Lyme Bay
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
joolseybo...
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“Good Price for Area! Moonfleet Holiday Cottage Weymouth Dorset”
Reviewed 23 May 2018 for a stay in May 2018
people found this review helpful

Moonfleet Holiday cottage is a comfy two bedroomed cottage on a small housing estate in Wycliff, Weymouth. I booked about a month before my stay and had fairly good communication before we arrived with the owner (Joe) before hand and on arrival, but this communication lessened during my stay. Methinks this landlord is only about for check-in times mainly.

For security reasons Joe sent me the combination of the keysaf e on the day we were due to travel down. He told me this was how he usually does it and not to worry. Finding the house was not a problem, the sat nav led us right to the correct house. However we were thrown off by next door announcing in the street the house is in, that it was 1 Dorman place....not the best thing to do in another street. The keysafe was hidden round the front pretty well, so well we didn't know it was there. Maybe Joe could have reiterated it via email two days before we arrived instead of just sending us the code on the day of the departure. Also the advert on trip advisor did not show the house itself, so that didn't really show us what to look for. As mentioned on a previous review a sign at the front of the house stating "Moonfleet" might have been a useful addition.

When we walked in it all seemed very homely but maybe not as newly furnished as some places we had been to...Still when everything is new one does feel a bit worried to touch anything in case you break it or whatever. The sofas for a start need a good clean - not the best idea to have cream leather or faux leather sofas in a holiday rental I reckon - the seats were a bit dirty and scratched. No throws were provided to cover the seats or protect them as in previous lets we have stayed. Also it might have been nice to come into a warm house instead of having to locate the boiler, especially as we were expected in on this day.

Trip advisor kept my payment details for this property in case we break anything or steal it for that matter. {But how do you know that someone wants to blame an old tv or video going bust on you}. The rental for seven nights in May was £410.00. Good value for what you get, but like all popular lets it could do with a bit of updating . Maybe less pictures on the walls in the living room for a start as it all feels a bit of a mish mash. Perhaps a new more modern rug for the living room and some upstairs to cover up the stains from previous occupants ( that although cleaned are still visible). I have no idea whether he has ever charged anyone as there are not many replies left to the reviews that were left. Joe shame on you, I hope you do reply to this one and that you do not take too much offence at my open honesty about your lovely house in its gorgeous close to the sea location.
The dvd player was not connected. This was a puzzle and a shame as there were hardly any tv channels. In this day and age this was a bit of a surprise frankly. Why leave a dvd player there and not connect it. Also there was a note not to leave the tv plugged in. Er what did they think would happen to it I wonder. We always leave ours plugged in at home plus it is a bit of a pain the scrambled behind the tv to keep unplugging it.

I texted Joe, where was the wifi and the code; it is under the wifi....no the wifi stated a different code and password being admin admin but then my hubby found a card downstairs on the side stating the real wifi password and username. Thank goodness we got into it. There was information Joe sent me via email however it did need updating re when he was going to send the key safe number ect. When we first got in the house this information was not in a folder anywhere which might have been a further help to us. I am not a great one for printing things off frankly.

The kitchen is small and fairly well equipped but could do with some bigger bowls for cereal methinks as hubby does enjoy this. The kettle could do with a good descaling also. There was tea and coffee in the cupboard and an array of things, but a little bit of milk in the fridge would have been nice as I have also said in other reviews. There was an errie aray of knives above the kitchen cupboard, too high up for me to reach but not un-noted by my hubby who was certain they were going to fall and stab me, leaving him no doubt with the blame lols. Unusually the plugs on the appliances in the kitchen were all "pat" tested and on top of the microwave was a small note asking for it to be left unplugged - what was it going to do plugged in and unused I wonder - not seen this in other holiday lettings so was a bit mystified to say the least. Unfortunately I did unplug the microwave - or so I thought - but it turned out to be the fridge instead - whoops. Maybe if you wish the microwave unplugging Joe it might be good to put a lable on the plug stating what is which.

Upstairs were very lovable bedrooms. Once I had unpacked I felt right at home. The carpets however are clean but show signs of stains, especially under electric lights. What a shame. (As an ex army wife I had problems with light carpets myself, might be worth hiring a big machine to bring them up to a good standard, the pile in them being very soft showing a lack of wear). There is adequate storage available. The bed I slept in was the big double and it was cosy and comfortable. The cottage and its surroundings are quiet; just a piece of heaven waiting for people to rejuvenate from their overworked life.

The bathroom was a medium size and nicely laid out. The bath itself is plastic but is a good size and there is, what I think is a power shower, which works but is very noisy. The showerhead needs replacing or cleaning and I did spy a tiny bit of mold next to it which is easy to remove- just attack it with a detol spray and all will be good. The shower curtain and pole needs some attention as it is loose and the curtain itself comes up for a good wet cuddle when you least expect it, it was also discoloured at the bottom of it yuk! I noticed a new shower curtain in the cupboard in the main bedroom, no doubt its replacement and fixture is on the "to do " list for Joe to implement. Towels would have been nice, if I had not have asked Joe I just would not have known. Description says linens, which mostly people would expect to include towels.

Having explored the house, the area it is located in IS amazing with views not far away of British Best Seaside and the Jurassic Coast. Am not going to be lounging about in here when there is all this to explore for sure even though it is a beautiful house.

I did discover a rubbish problem during our stay. Apparently the woman next door took a great dislike to this property's bin - so I was told - and kicked them over in the garden; this led them to being locked in the garage!! For which we did not have a key. There was also a very unhelpful cleaner who pursued us out to our car waving the milk, bread and marg we have left in the fridge for the next guests alas, so much for us being thoughtful.

Also the property manager was under the misapprehension that trip advisor was holding a deposit from myself. They were not just the payment details to charge any rentee up to ten days after the let is over. This if you pay via paypal can be cancelled as all regular payments can. I personally would not pay via any visa or card; you do not really know what landlords are like until you have stayed there a few times methinks.

Big question...would I recommend this let to my best friend...hmmm maybe, if it wasn't for the rubbish situation and the hostile cleaner, plus this holding of payment detail thing. Also the colours in this let are not typical letting colours. Light carpets and sofa are not the most serviceable colours when having hundreds of guests each year. Route of the problem maybe the neighbour.

Even knowing that didn't really spoil our week as we just do not get involved in such problems really unless they bother us; which she didn't. However, she had also been known to have a go at another guest re a spilt bottle of sun lotion. Plus there seems to be a bit of a land dispute thing going on. Sorry to let flood with all the gossip but I think people should not get caught up in these problems just ignore it and get on with their holiday. The lack of bins however would raise a question or two though no doubt which is why I have put this info in the review. Probably wouldn't really spoil a holiday unless you did have a breakage and nowhere safe to put it away from the children.

I don't know much about letting, but I know what makes me comfortable. So trip advisors, please make your reviews REAL. Do not let the fact that payment details are being held about you prevent you from stating what you really think. This property certainly makes its money worth as it is good for value. Dog friendly upstairs carpets in a beige colour probably would be recoverable in rental remuneration. After all the cottage is kid friendly and in my memory children do have accidents on floors as well as animals - having been a mother I recall there not being much differences at times at all. I have given this holiday let a three star re all the problems listed above. I however did hover over the two star, but its location and its cleanliness won me round to an average. The house is lacking somewhat, but the location indeed makes up for it.

This wonderful clean house with a few tweaks here and there is certainly worth a visit. A good holiday home and haven that I would gladly come back to time and time again, however I am one of the people who do own pets that I have to get a sitter for while I am away; so my visits would be limited. This accommodation I see is well booked up for the summer season and not surprisingly so. If you wish to visit make it early autumn. Joe I hope your holiday let keeps going from strength to strength as such lettings are fundamental to the great British holiday; and I wish you all the best for the future. Thank you for reading my thorough review. If you found this helpful please give me some encouragement by giving it a thumbs up or a like. Happy Holidays!

Tracey M
“Easter weekend”
Reviewed 3 April 2018 for a stay in March 2018
people found this review helpful

Sat nav took us to the wrong property but after phoning owner we found it easily. Quite spacious and relatively clean. Pretty enclosed garden.
Everything we needed was there. Kitchen was well equipted, I even made a dinner.
Plenty of takeaways and convenience stores within half a mile.
We took two cars, we parked one in the space provided with the house and used the lay by for the other car.
I would recommend staying here especially if you have young children. We didn't walk to the beach as we didn't have the weather but it's very close.
We met the owner who was lovely.
The only thing I would recommend is a instruction book on how to turn heating/water on and the Internet password as we had to search for the box and maybe a moonfleet plaque on the front of the house.

Management Response
4 Jun 2018
Thank you Tracy for your review and we will take on board your recommendations regarding an in house instruction folder which we had ,but on my last visit i never noticed it was gone .
We do provide an instruction and information pack on line to print .
The house is very popular and fully booked for most summer months, so refurbishments will start this Oct.
We are pleased your stay was enjoyable and hope to see you and family next year Susan & Robbie
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2018 for a stay in February 2018

KimberlyB...
Bristol
“Good Location”
Reviewed 4 January 2018 for a stay in December 2017
people found this review helpful

Stayed here over New Year for a couple of days. It is a lovely little modern 2 bed-roomed house on a small housing estate close to Weymouth & surrounding areas.

Very comfortable & cosy with everything your need for a self catering holiday.

lesleyhee...
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Excellent property in a fab location”
Reviewed 22 November 2017 for a stay in November 2017

We really enjoyed our weekend break at moonfleet. Joe the owner was exceptional he left very good instructions for us and could not be any more helpful when we asked a question. We would definitely stay again.

Lynne T
“Moonfleet Cottage”
Reviewed 26 October 2017 for a stay in October 2017
people found this review helpful

Lovely cottage fully equipped with more than everything we needed.
Joe sent an email with full instructions for everything so there was no need to worry about anything.
Lovely, comfortable, warm and homely, great place to stay, lovely walks close by and lots to see and do.
Even Storm Brian couldnt spoil our stay.

emmahunte...
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely house, great location, wonderful stay”
Reviewed 25 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017
people found this review helpful

We had a wonderful stay.
The house is lovely, well looked after, nicely laid out, plenty of space.
Good location for Weymouth and surrounding areas.
Would visit again.

Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing