“The Best Experience In Dorset!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Stuart Wiltshire Glass
Ranked #1 of 13 Tours in Weymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Glassblowing Experience, Approximately 30mins full details on web site. Hand impressions in Glassblowing/making demonstrations, if I'm not doing Experiences! From 10:30 to 15:30
Weymouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Best Experience In Dorset!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I went for a glass blowing experience and it was by far the best thing I have done in dorset. Stuart was so helpful encouraging and friendly and made me completly at ease to be able to make my own glass. I can't speak highly enough of the day! Started off with a coffee and informative briefing then go hands on with the glass (can't believe how much I got to do) and ending with a stunning glass I will treasure. Don't think about booking it just do it as you won't be disapointed!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank natasha s

Bridport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unusual handmade beautiful blown and sandblasted glass”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

I visited Freeform Studio Glass today and had an enjoyable demonstration of glass blowing and blew my own glass tumbler with the help of Stuart. There is also a retail section, which is not overpowering, that is full of lovely glass work which you can purchase. We watched some lovely tall glass bottles being sandblasted too. Very interesting and enjoyable. Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Carol P
Ringwood, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“We Were "Bowled" Over”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Tucked away in a quiet back street is what must be one of Weymouth's most interesting tourist attractions. This hidden gem comes in the form of a glassblowing workshop and studio where visitors can wander in and watch the proprietor Stuart Wiltshire blowing wine glasses, forming fruit bowls and even making pieces for a huge chandelier he had just received a commission for, which is what he was engaged in doing when we popped in with a couple of friends. It was really fascinating watching him blowing a huge glass bubble about 30 cm in diameter, which was intended as one of the centrepieces of the chandelier. Unfortunately, despite his years of training with Dartington and other top glass producers both here and abroad, he over-blew this particular one and had to start again. He was totally undismayed about this as glass is one material that is easily recyclable, provided you, like Stuart, have a furnace capable of reaching temperatures in excess of 1200 degrees Centigrade. Though I could have stood all day watching Stuart and his trainee heating, blowing and re-heating the lumps of glass they were converting in to useful and decorative items, my wife was keen to browse through the many finished articles on show finally settling on a rather attractive 10 inch fruit bowl with a pretty swirl of bluey-pink glass applied to the underside, all clever stuff. One of our friends had been there previously and had a 3 hour glassblowing experience during which he had made a number of items, which were included in the tuition fee. Stuart apparently uses only the very best raw materials so all of the items he supplies, whether on commission or from stock, are of top quality and reasonably priced. Though St Nicholas Street is not a main thoroughfare, the Freeform Studio is not difficult to find and will be well worth the effort when you do.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank cyrilmoseley
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Hand and foot prints!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

We had some fantastic hand and foot prints of my kids cast in glass. Stuart was excellent at entertaining the children as well as talking the adults through the process. Very interesting and they made great presents for the grand parents!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Alistair C
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Weymouth's Top Attraction?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

My wife paid for me to have a 3 hour glass blowing experience with Stuart, the owner. Wow! I had done it once before, 2 years ago at another studio. This was far better, I was given much more freedom during the various processes than the previous time. Stuart was an excellent tutor, only intervening at the last minute to prevent anything going awry. He was extremely calm and concise in his instructions. I made a ring stand, bracelet holder, cranberry scent bottle with stopper, a Christmas tree decorative glass ball and a stunning coloured bowl, all to a high standard thanks to his guidance. An experience not to be missed particularly if you have any artistic leanings or skills. I will be doing it again!
If you don't feel like the challenge yourself just go along to be tempted to buy from his gallery and watch him at work showing his great skill as a glassblower. You can also have a glass cast of your baby's hands/feet made as a family keepsake or even commission your own special hand made piece at a reasonable cost.

Visited May 2013