“Beautiful Fresh Plaice Always!”
Review of The Monkey's Fist

The Monkey's Fist
Ranked #25 of 296 Restaurants in Weymouth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We as a Seafood company were deeply shocked to read the review of the 9th April 2014 regarding the Plaice, we absolutely have no need whatsoever to freeze any fish and never have, our fresh fish is sold out on a daily basis and we also export huge quantities to Europe so this way we are never left with old stock. Our customers rely on us to send them the freshest and best quality, this is why we are now entering our 53rd year in business! If you happen to know anything about a Plaice then you will also understand that at certain times of the year a Plaice will spawn and become much weaker than normal, this does not mean that they are inedible but can be skinny and a little poorer in quality, these particular fish could have been caught in the Bristol channel but landed in our local shores, each area has a different spawning cycle however they generally become weaker after spawning between March and April.

1  Thank SJ11SAM

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Fine dining with a friendly atmosphere. Nothing too much trouble! Our waiter was superb a real asset to front of house! Only sorry I don't have his name to add. Chef excellent and quality splendid this place is friendly fun quirky intimate with great food

1  Thank Tallulahhunnibun
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I was one of the 9 & I can not believe Arnold actually wrote the review he did. My meal was fantastic, as were most of the others. I had the scallops for starters & the venison for main, all cooked to perfection. My husband too had the plaice, it was not frozen or defrosted. Having owned a restaurant ourselves, we know how difficult it is when you are so dependant on suppliers. The chef was very apologetic, offered to cook something else, more than happy to take them off the bill, I do not know what else she could do.
I have been a few times before & will definitely go again. Lovely restaurant, great chef, great value for money.

2  Thank dohadaisy
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Visited here a few times now with family and friends. The menu is always creative and food is always cooked to perfection. Had lots of delicious meals and always look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our second visit , and once again we were not disappointed . We were a party of 5 and everyone had a different meal and we were all in agreement about the quality and taste of our meals . The décor is delightful and inviting. It's a small and intimate place . The staff are young but friendly and helful . The music perfect . We cant recommend highly enough .