“awful value for money”

The Fairhaven Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 18 September 2013

A below average hotel with an above average price. 4 coat hangers in room no drawers for two people. The window frame was rotten. Not suitable for people with walking difficulties, many steps. Not allowed to have cereal and orange juice, one or the other. Waiter and waitresses unable to smile or understand English. If you had paid half the price you might have no cause to complain, but it was the worst value for money coach trip we have ever been on and we have been on lots.

Room Tip: Keep away from the attic rooms and ask for sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank rustynail7

Reviewed 16 September 2013

this hotel was booked through work for one night (am writing this while at the hotel), considering I work for the public sector and have never stayed anywhere really bad, I just presumed it would be, at worst, just average.
to start, the parking is a nightmare. if lucky enough to get a space at the front you need to get a permit. or, like I did, you can pay £5 per night for a space at back of hotel (took me 3 attempts to find it), don't bothet if you have a big car, as I doubt you will make it through the extremely narrow street. if you do manage it, be warned, literally parking in front of each other and have to leave keys on reception. I'm not happy about doing that but unfortunately I don't have much option.
From the car park you walk in the back entrance through the dining room. I asked the waitresses where reception was and they just pointed as I struggled through with my bags.
Eventually found my room on 3rd floor, luckily they do have a lift. it felt like I was walking through miles of very narrow corridor to get to my room. Very 1970s feel about the place and I seriously think nothing has been decorated since then.
I have a 3/4 bed and a single in what was booked as a double room. Very thin blanket on the bed but luckily a spare one, albeit rather shabby, not sure what would happen if person in single bed was cold!!
the room is freezing with a small heater which is fighting a losing battle against the sea breeze coming through the windows and their flimsy, ill fitting curtains!
seriously lacking any mod cons; an ancient portable small tv with 5 channels, no wifi anywhere in hotel, very well used and shabby furniture and decor.
on the positive, I am overlooking the seafront and the kettle works!!
I'm seriously dreading the bathroom, again very worn and tired looking but does have bath and shower, even if it is older than me!!!
Breakfast starts at 0830 so I will be going without, as have to be gone by 0745....looks like a bacon buttie from a side of road van for me tomorrow morning! !!
seems to be some form of entertainment every night but I think its Billy Bongo tonight for a singalong in the Ballroom! !
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, although it looks to be popular with the older generation. Personally, I would suggest amywhere but here!

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed here for one night in a single room on the 31st August. I knew that by booking a single room it would be small, unlikely to have a sea view and not quite be what I have at home. I was absolutely right but to be perfectly fair, although my room was small (I could touch both walls easily) it was clean, tidy but well worn. The TV was "vintage" but you don't really stay in your room and watch TV all day on holiday. (Do you?!?) The shower was fab though, and looked brand new. The room did experience some noise during the night from party goers heading home, the town hall clock bell(!) and seagulls(!!).

I had a fairly good night's sleep despite all that and breakfast was lovely. I was a bit puzzled that you couldn't have cereal AND a cooked breakfast but maybe that's me. Orange juice, cooked brekafast and toast (plus tea) was what we had. The breakfast was small, but freshly cooked, well presented and tasty. The tea was nice and extra toast was forthcoming. The dining room staff were well organised and full marks for getting the breakfasts ordered, delivered and all with a full dining room. Really good, quick service.

The clientele are of a certain age to be fair but that's not a bad thing and if we had stayed more than one night we would have got to know them better. The "entertainment" does reflect the age group but that's just targetting the right audience.

The location is great, a minute from the beach and only 5 minutes or less from the harbour. In terms of delivering what we needed which was a bed and breakfast, it did the job. Would I stay again? I wouldn't mind to be honest. I wouldn't want to stay a week or two but for a few nights, it's fine. It's an old fashioned seaside hotel with a prime location.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back experience noise from partygoers heading home from clubs and bars.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank NickKeo
Reviewed 31 August 2013

this was without doubt the worst hotel I have the displeasure of staying in. I have been holidaying in Weymouth for many years and this is the only hotel or guest house that I would never return to. our room and the corridors surrounding were unclean and looked like they hadn't been decorated since the 1960s. the staff were cold and unfriendly and the breakfasts felt like they had been standing around for ages. the only good thing was the location and the weather at the time was gorgeous, to the point that my girlfriend and I contemplated sleeping on the beach for the night rather than going back to our room

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank matt d
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The "fun prevention officer" and myself stayed at the Fairhaven from the 12th to the 15th August 2013. We were part of a large coach party, the majority of whom were pensioners. The remainder of hotel guests also appeared to be of a "certain age" although a few younger families were also resident. My personal opinion is that the hotel would suit the older generation more due to the type of entertainment provided which was of the 70's "club singer" type. I don't say this as a slight against the acts that were on, who were very good, merely that I don't feel they would appeal to the younger end. The concert room is a bit featureless and could do with a bit of a revamp and there is a bit of a premium on the drinks, however it was fit for purpose with regards to our party.
Our room was situated at the back of the hotel and was compact, ( being charitable), but it was clean (although it could do with a new carpet), and as we were hardly in it I have no real issues. Some of our party had rooms overlooking the front, which although they had the better views, there were a few complaints about excessive noise from outside during the course of the night.
The service in the hotel was excellent, especially in the restaurant, where the staff were predominantly Spanish, and the food was excellent throughout our stay. This view was echoed by all our group.
The hotel itself is nicely situated with the beach, (which is cleaned daily), directly across the road. The shops are nearby and there are plenty of good local pubs at the back of the hotel. As you turn right from the hotel it's just a few minutes walk to the harbour which is very scenic and we found it highly entertaing to watch the kids fishing foir crabs on the quay side.
Overlooking the harbour is the Nothe Fort which is worth a quick visit although it's up a bit of an incline so if people are bad on their "pins" or in a wheel chair they'll need assistance.
For those who like walking there's the coastal walk which can be picked up near to the Nothe Fort.
Also in Weymouth is the Ridepole RSPB nature reserve which is free to enter and is well worth going to if you're into birdwatching or if you just fancy a good walk in scenic surroundings. I believe there is another RSPB reserve a mile or so outside Weymouth so this may be worth enquiring about.

Moving further afield, a short distance down the coast is the Portland Bill lighthouse and Chesshill ( probably spelt wrong), beaches , where the "Dambusters" practised during WW2. Poole and Swanage are also worth a visit.

All in all we had a very enjoyable 5 days and we'd definately go again.

Weymouth is a lovely resort and although it's a bit like stepping back in time, to me that's part of its charm.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marktaylor99
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Perfect location, good price, clean rooms, decent brekkie, only thing is carpark round back bit tight fit but booked in advance u can have a parking space allocated for 5 pound a night which is well worth it! Would definatly come here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

my husband and i stayed here in august 2013 just for a short 3 night stay ,i was a little dissapointed as the room we were given was a very small box room overlooking the back of the hotel so no sea view here even though i had asked for a sea view room,the room itself was in need of a serious makeover ,really old tv ,kettle coffee and tea making was on a tiny plastic shelf ,wardrobe was like something out of the 1920s overall a very dated room.even the carpet was stained and needed replacing ,bathroom had been refurbished and was ok
on the plus side breakfast was adequate and well cooked the only good thing i can say about this hotel
,reception staff need some serious training they were really quite rude and unattentive,
lots of elderley people use this hotel there is very little entertainment in the evening ,
lots of screaming and shouting outside the back of the hotel so if you do stay here ask for a sea view room but good luck with that one ,my advise only stay here if you reallly really have to

Room Tip: always try to get a sea view room ,
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple