“good value for money, friendly staff”
Review of Russell Hotel

Russell Hotel
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 22 October 2013

we have just enjoyed a coach trip with friends and family as part of a party of 40 people to weymouth and stopped at the Russell Hotel from a friday to a monday. We were in a room on the 1st floor, the rooms were clean and tidy and a good size. The lady on reception "Janet" was very helpful and had a lovely smile. In the restaurant although there was about 3 coach parties, the food was served up hot and there was a reasonable variety and portions were just right and the menu was different each day. If you did ask for more they would try and accomadiate you. Overall we all enjoyed our stay and will be booking to go next year. I can't see where some of the reviews for this hotel have come from as we have found it very reasonably and good value for money.

Room Tip: we stopped on the 1st floor to the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rugrat29

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Don't go by all you read, I took a party of 40 for a long weekend,
Food second to none and staff very helpful, rooms very clean entertainment average shame bar not open in the afternoon, I think they would do will. Will I book here a gain yes all ready have 40 plus for next year.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gasman1952
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just spent the worst five days holiday in the Russell hotel weymouth.
Arrived to find we had been put in tiny attic rooms which were so low that Evan at five foot I was hitting my head on the beams and the heat was intolerable.
I contacted the hotel in advance to state that I had a butter intolerance and was advised it would not be a problem, on arrival I again stated this fact and was again advised it would not be a problem.
When meal time arrived I ordered and my meal contained butter, when I asked the reason for this the reply was the chef wouldn't make an exception for me, consequently I had salad for every meal.
The lift took an eternity to work, quite a lot of the waiters were rude and after waiting over half hour for beverages I was told if I didn't want to wait to go to the bar and get a drink there.
All in all this is the worst hotel experience I have had for many years.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Patricia K
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We arrived on a friday parked the car and made our way to the reception After the lady had finished talking to someone for about ten minutes about her own grandchildren she ask if she could help we said we would like to check in she very abruptly said that we where early and told to get in the queue this was a bad start it would have been nice if she said HELLO . Anyway we booked with martyns travel and i must say we had value for money and would return DONT EXPECT TO MUCH

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed in the Russel hotel for four nights. We had a room at the rear of the building
the windows were that dirty you could hardly see out. The kitchen and waiting staff need
a lot of praise ther wer.e all very good. On leaving handing back the keys at the reception
I found a scruffy man on the reception. He was anything but pleasent. The bedding
had a rubber protector. Not a very good room at all. Ask for a see view it is well worth the
extra £12

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Robert N
Reviewed 12 September 2013

First impressions are of a hotelin need of tlc. Outside is grubby no flowers no handrail for elderly visitors. Receptionisfriendly and luggage carried to room. One small lift is never enough.
Room in need ofdecoration with peeling wallpaper and dingy bathroom. Hoever bedding was clean, nicenewcurtains. Breakfast and evening meals were excellent with nothing too much trouble.

Room Tip: Pay extra for thd great sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoyNewport
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

I came down to Weymouth with my parents, grandparents and around 25 others on a coach trip. First impressions of the hotel were that it is in a fantastic location, across the road from the beach and close to the town and harbour which is lovely.
However, the outside of the hotel is extremely shabby and could do with repainting to brighten it up. On entering the hotel, it was extremely warm and very fusty and this was a regular occurrence throughout the hotel.
We went up to our rooms to wait for our luggage. The room was not great. We were in a room with a double and single bed and my grandparents had a twin room. The rooms were extremely dusty which is obviously a build up of dirt over time so the rooms are practically not cleaned at all except the bathroom and straightening the beds which they couldn't even be bothered to do in my grandparents room. In our room we had a table and 2 chairs and the table was very greasy and there was batter from someone having had fish and chips before we arrived. This was there until the second evening when we went and requested someone to clean it. There were also hairs on our dressing table were it hadn't been cleaned. The bathrooms were probably the cleanest part of the hotel even though they were in need of a bit of tlc.
The one good thing about the hotel, besides the location, is the food. Breakfast and dinner were very nice meals and cooked perfectly, credits to the chef. There was a good choice as well. But as with this hotel there is a downside, the service was awful. The food would be slapped down in front of you and as soon as you had finished a course they take it away and the next one in slapped in front of you. Often you would have to take the plate from the waiter across the table and they couldn't be bothered come round the other side of the table. I've never had a 3 course meal so fast, 40-45mins and you're done.
Most of the staff are friendly and polite, some not so, but the majority are.
The bar area was much cleaner as they had a different housemaid to the one who cleaned the rooms. You couldn't get a drink from the bar till about 5-5:30pm so had to wait around for a while and people went elsewhere, but it was decorated nicely. There was the usual entertainment of bingo and then a singer each night which was ok. Although, they definitely need to invest in some air conditioning in the bar area because at night with the doors shut because of a licensing agreement, it became extremely hot. If you are staying at The Russell I definitely recommend taking a hand held fan.
The dining room was alright, although the chairs had various stains on them which isn't nice to sit on when you've got ready to go down at night for dinner and a drink.
The walls are so thin in the rooms that we could hear next doors alarm go off and even their conversations in the morning. The window in our corridor was so dirty you couldn't see out of it, which just ruins the atmosphere and is inexcusable uncleanliness.

I wouldn't recommend staying in The Russell as there are much nicer hotels on the same road which actually make the effort to make their hotel look nice and do actually bother to clean.

Though I suppose you get what you pay for, but cleanliness is a must.

• Stayed: August 2013