“Stayed last weekend for excellant value turkey and tinsel weekend”
Review of Russell Hotel

Russell Hotel
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Booked the Russell for a weekend treat for my 2 sisters (late 60's). Due to disabilities requested before arrival a twin room on ground floor with shower - this was exactly what we were allocated and all had very clean comfortable rooms.

The meals were excellent value for money - plenty of choice and served in super quick time all hot and wholesome.

The evening entertainment was very good . Really large bar and sitting space to join in . Through some doors you will find a really comfortable 'quiet room' which we found really good for a quite Sunday morning sit down to read the papers.

All staff really kind and helpful. Being able to go through the corridor to the adjoining hotel for a light lunch in the bar was excellent.

To sum up - a great hotel for value for money - my sisters really enjoyed their treat and we will certainly be returning to repeat the experience next winter

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pauline C

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I went with my mum and dad to this hotel for the friday to monday weekend deal (£72 pp) dinner, bed and breakie. my elderly mum and dad had already been on a coach trip to the hotel on weymouth seafront, and had enjoyed it. they had given me the heads up about what to expect, and of course it didn't disappoint.

being a person with mobility needs this hotel was similar to most in the seafront area, having very little easy access. we were told about how to get into the hotel with a scooter, more on this later.

we stayed the week end of 25-28 october, the one with the "storm" so it was wet, windy and cold.

first impressions, old in need of considerable update. my 2nd floor single room #220, basic, small and cold (no radiator heating/not switched on?). the small mains powered fan heater was all I had to stave off hypothermia! first off the toilet seat fixing broke and the seat / myself ended on the floor. to be fair, when reported the seat was put on again by maintenance. however, it failed again next day and the last day I gave up and went down stairs to the public loo. the shower had very little pressure and the base/walls were "dirty". the actual bathroom was so small I could only shut the door when almost on the loo, with the very small basin directly in front of the door and the shower behind the door to the left. the TV was so small, next time i will bring binoculars. the TV had 5 channels, BBC news and FILM4 yet the display said it was a sky satellite delivery service (kept telling me it was going to standby).

food, hmm well i have heard of portion control but this is silly. the meals were simple in nature, in that the ingredients were IMHO sourced cheaply, such as tinned and frozen stuff. the taste was average but the amount was a shock... 6 new potatoes between two people? OK for £72 you dont expect a huge banquet, but likewise I expect to have a reasonable amount. I ended up going out later to get something extra.

the lift was antique and slow... the indicator lights did not work. floors did not specify their number (perhaps a number/letter on the wall as the doors open?) although I worked it out by looking at the room number directions. the lift itself was reasonably sized, but with a scooter it was full. I left mine downstairs and used a walker inside but one lady brought hers in.

talking of which, scooter access was through a rear fire exit to the lounge area. unless it was open, the procedure involved someone going through the front door and down into the lower area (Basement) and opening the doors. obviously okay when not raining.

to access these doors you must go through the first-come car park, with cars 3 deep in some places. even the disabled have to take pot luck with parking (I parked on the sea front opposite, which is free and unrestricted in off-peak season but not possible for any length of time in the summer and at cost), and should you go out - well, you might not get back in.

the dilemma involves going out or returning during the evening 7-11pm. the lounge area is used for bingo 8-845pm and "entertainment" (word used loosely) and is the only access for wheelchairs/scooters. on the saturday evening we had gone out after dinner and returned around 930pm.

first problem, it was raining.

second problem, the "keep clear" parking areas had cars in them and an obvious route for my scooter was not available. my mum had gone around and opened the fire doors...actually she couldn't. there being a table in front of the first set and the band's equipment in the area between 1st and 2nd sets of doors. the outer door only just opened because a car was parked close. In the mean time I'd carefully negotiated through the parked cars and got to the doors....

I then had to drive through the lounge dodging the dancing and the comments from the compere!

on monday (when checking out) we reported this to the reception who nonchalantly acknowledged "it was known" and the band equipment was placed there most days. we said "health and safety" legislation was being broken, because the fire exit was blocked. a shrug of shoulders, and "i'll let the manager know" was the response.

IF YOU VALUE YOUR SAFETY check the exits when you visit this hotel.

would I stay again? I'd have to think real hard about it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Andy W
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and myself spent our holidays every year at the Russell Hotel when Matthew and Jenny were at the helm, Janet in reception, Manuel in charge of the dining room. We also took two dogs with us and quite often got the bridal suite! We never had any complaints at all and the food and entertainment was excellent.
Unfortunately due to ill health and the loss of my husband I am not now able to travel the ten hours drive from Scotland. It is now over ten years since I have been there but I would go back in a minute if I could.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JAGO G
Reviewed 22 October 2013

we have just enjoyed a coach trip with friends and family as part of a party of 40 people to weymouth and stopped at the Russell Hotel from a friday to a monday. We were in a room on the 1st floor, the rooms were clean and tidy and a good size. The lady on reception "Janet" was very helpful and had a lovely smile. In the restaurant although there was about 3 coach parties, the food was served up hot and there was a reasonable variety and portions were just right and the menu was different each day. If you did ask for more they would try and accomadiate you. Overall we all enjoyed our stay and will be booking to go next year. I can't see where some of the reviews for this hotel have come from as we have found it very reasonably and good value for money.

Room Tip: we stopped on the 1st floor to the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rugrat29
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Don't go by all you read, I took a party of 40 for a long weekend,
Food second to none and staff very helpful, rooms very clean entertainment average shame bar not open in the afternoon, I think they would do will. Will I book here a gain yes all ready have 40 plus for next year.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gasman1952
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just spent the worst five days holiday in the Russell hotel weymouth.
Arrived to find we had been put in tiny attic rooms which were so low that Evan at five foot I was hitting my head on the beams and the heat was intolerable.
I contacted the hotel in advance to state that I had a butter intolerance and was advised it would not be a problem, on arrival I again stated this fact and was again advised it would not be a problem.
When meal time arrived I ordered and my meal contained butter, when I asked the reason for this the reply was the chef wouldn't make an exception for me, consequently I had salad for every meal.
The lift took an eternity to work, quite a lot of the waiters were rude and after waiting over half hour for beverages I was told if I didn't want to wait to go to the bar and get a drink there.
All in all this is the worst hotel experience I have had for many years.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Patricia K
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We arrived on a friday parked the car and made our way to the reception After the lady had finished talking to someone for about ten minutes about her own grandchildren she ask if she could help we said we would like to check in she very abruptly said that we where early and told to get in the queue this was a bad start it would have been nice if she said HELLO . Anyway we booked with martyns travel and i must say we had value for money and would return DONT EXPECT TO MUCH

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple