“Gone Downhill”
Review of Russell Hotel

Russell Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It was 5 years since I last stayed at the Russell and I can only say that the standards at this hotel have gone downhill.
The food was over cooked with watery custard and gravy and very tough chicken, I didn't like the way they washed the knives, a quick dip in soapy water in a plastic tub then wiped on an old tea towel.
Restaurant staff were not very sociable, but having said that the cleaning lady was very nice. It took 2 hours for my case to be brought to my room and I never saw any reception staff!
The room was clean and OK.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary M

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have just returned this Week from a Monday to Friday coach tour, and from the moment my friend and I experienced on going issues, on arrival when we were showed to our rooms, my friend had to ask to be moved from the 3rd floor because the room was so hot and small and had numerous health and safety issues like very low ceiling and having to keep lowering her head to move around, so then she managed to be moved to a room on the floor below which was more suitable, but it appears the room was cleaned or serviced during our stay and also to keep the window open a block of wood had to be used to keep the window up because the sash was broke and also the window was rotten. I myself had a 3rd floor single room which had a lovely sea view, but that came with safety issues regarding lack of space and worrying about banging my head, the shower room was a joke no room to move without banging in to an oversize hand basin, and also no where to put shampoo and shower gel in the shower and to top it all, when I got up Thursday my shower had stopped working, I reported the matter but the shower was still not working. I had to manage by washing myself by using the hand basin, I reported that shower 5 times and all I was told was that it would be done. also there were silly little problems in the dining room you seem to be chasing after cups and saucers and dishes all the time.There was avery annoying issue when we went into the dining room for the 1st time they tried to put my friend and I on seperate tables even though we booked the holiday together. There are some good points about The Russell the food was excellent and the restaurant staff where very obliging but there was not enough of them to cater for the amount of guests they where catering for, it was such a shame, I think the Russel Hotel could be made into a really nice Hotel if things like the lift which seemed to confuse everone that used it, was improved the location is fantastic and it has great potential

Room Tip: Keep away from the 3rd floor it is so hot and has limited headroom
6  Thank Stuart E
Reviewed 4 June 2014

yes down from london the hotel is now under new management since the owner die david the manager and staff very helpful and friendly
thank for the early breafeast on sunday as we went to gurnsey for day
the food was very good
terry enterment on sunday excellent i agree weymouth should promition of weymouth better and bring back old information centre
i lookforward to seeing hotel when refurishment is complete
good luck to daisha group
tony mbe

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank tony726
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Second time back to the Russell in two years. My review is summed up is in my title. Room always clean, food ok, sea view room fantastic. The entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights was well how shall I say very below par but the Sunday night singer was brilliant, well done. A special thank you to Terry the parking attendant who washed my car due to the seagulls having a field day. Will I return to the Russell? Probably!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George G
Reviewed 2 June 2014

this hotel is the newest of the Daisha chain. In my opinion they should not have opened to the pubic until they had completely re-furbished. The room (330) was clean, (due only to the hard working cleaning staff.) The bathroom floor was cracked and loose tiles, the cold water was piping hot, there was mould on the roof. The toilet seat was loose and the loo did not flush The floor between the room and the bathroom sloped dangerously. The wardrobe in the twin room was broken and the beds were old,lumpy, mismatched, and uncomfortable. We went there,as a romantic break for four days three nights. Most of our time was spent waiting for the tiny lift 15 mins was not unusual. The manager was rude when we informed him that my husband is a Vegan, even though we informed the booking office three times of this fact, and attempted to contact the hotel in person. seeming to want to spend more of his time looking after his 2 daughters. (The children were on holiday and in the next room to us, Very very noisey. My husband had boiled rice for his dinner, and a tomato and a scoop of beans for his breakfast. I will say that it was sorted out after that He only had one good breakfast as the curry made him ill. We had to buy food in for him The dining room and entertainment is in the basement, which is dark and red hot. the dining tables were dreadful, squashing four people on a table meant for two. The food for us meat eaters was quite good, but tiny amounts. Summing up, a very uncomfortable weekend was had by us

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jayneknight45
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Well we were on a coach tour, didn't realise this hotel had been taken over last December, very warm welcome on arrival and suitcases taken to rooms, my room was at top of hotel and was very hot, rooms below had much higher ceilings so therefore cooler, room was ok linens were very good as was shower. Food was ok, entertainment was good in evenings. Overall was a good holiday, however if you go remember that reception is always closed and you have to go through to the next hotel to theirs.

Room Tip: don't go on 3rd floor
1  Thank susan h
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Myself and 8 friends have recently returned from a 5 day break at the Russell Hotel with Nova Tours, chesterfield. I am afraid we were all left with a great deal of disappointment. A large number of issues were identified during the break, which were raised with staff at the time. Some were resolved in the short term and did not re-occur, others were resolved but were repeated again and again. The following is a summary of our complaints-
Rooms - we were allocated 5 rooms on the 3rd floor. 4 out of the 5 were totally inadequate in size, one person had to sit on the bed to allow the other to move about. Insufficient drawer/storage space. The rooms were all oppressively hot and we were unable to sleep at night even with the window open. The fan provided was totally inadequate. Rooms were not cleaned adequately. Our bed was not touched on 3 mornings, the waste bin not emptied on 1 morning. We reported directly to the cleaner that our toilet was dirty on the outside but nothing was done to correct this. Showering was difficult without a shelf in the cubicle for soap, shampoo etc. On the plus side beds were comfortable, the linen clean, and the shower very good.
Restaurant - No fresh fruit at breakfast. Orange juice ran out, dishes ran out, crockery dirty, again the heat was oppressive making it uncomfortable to enjoy your meals. One breakfast we asked for more white toast and were told only brown was available. A few minutes later the hotel Manager scurried past our table heading for the kitchen with a loaf of white bread in his hand! On the plus side food was generally good with a very varied choice.
Reception - No reception duties on Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday. Any problems had to be reported to the reception in the hotel next door. One of our group had a night time problem with a broken bed. He rang the number provided for the night porter but this was not answered. He had to visit the hotel next door in his nightwear to get the problem looked at.
In summary after talking to a number of members of staff it would appear the new owners of the hotel are now making cuts to staffing after their take over 6 months ago. If the cuts continue this hotel will be ruined because the staff do try their hardest to make guests' stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Do not have a 3rd floor room!!!
5  Thank TJSChesterfield