“Peace and Quiet”
Review of Russell Hotel

Russell Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The Russell Hotel was just what the doctor ordered, peace and quiet. Although a little dated this was the perfect place for a relaxing weekend. The room we had was at the back but was clean and tidy though I would have liked a mini fridge as we are picnic people and had nowhere to keep our food. The meals were excellent and there was a good choice. The staff were always available to answer any questions. There was no Wi-Fi which we missed but saying that it was nice to be out of touch for a short time. Lots of places to visit within a few hours of leaving hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors seem to be the best.
5  Thank Wendykia

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Russell Hotel is very tired and needs updating. On the whole the 3 nights we were there weren't too bad despite the elephant who walked backwards and forwards hundreds of times in the room above us at unearthly times in the morning. The food was good and always hot and the waiting staff were excellent.
The entertainment was good on all three nights. We had room 26 and the bathroom was really small and shower was not very good. The sister Hotel next door The Prince Regent looked much better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Christine Y
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at the Russell Hotel on a GB Tours Break, keeping in mind at all times that this is a 2 star hotel and not higher you can see that all that it offers as a 2 star is quite reasonable. The room we had was "tired" but the towels and bedding were spotless, food was better than adequate and every meal was served promptly by hard working and friendly staff, entertainment was excellent on all 3 nights as far as we were concerned, Wendy who sorted the quizzes and bingo was a character and very friendly. Would i go back? definately if i had room 28 again. Thank you Russell Hotel for a lovely time.

8  Thank geoned57
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Went with GB tours pick up at Neath at 9-25am a sensible time.On arrival booked in quickly and suitcases brought to our room in twenty minutes,very good as two buses pulled up at the same time.Four buses in all at hotel so dining room was full so service was a little slow but not bad really.Receptionist and waitng staff were very good and so was the food,always hot.Room was a good size and clean and so was the bed linen.Room cleaner did a good job every day.Beer £3 a pint most hotels are charging £3 30 to £3 50 so quite good.Entertainment was good and not too much bingo.All in all a good value weekend break.

6  Thank keithfromneath
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It was 5 years since I last stayed at the Russell and I can only say that the standards at this hotel have gone downhill.
The food was over cooked with watery custard and gravy and very tough chicken, I didn't like the way they washed the knives, a quick dip in soapy water in a plastic tub then wiped on an old tea towel.
Restaurant staff were not very sociable, but having said that the cleaning lady was very nice. It took 2 hours for my case to be brought to my room and I never saw any reception staff!
The room was clean and OK.

2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have just returned this Week from a Monday to Friday coach tour, and from the moment my friend and I experienced on going issues, on arrival when we were showed to our rooms, my friend had to ask to be moved from the 3rd floor because the room was so hot and small and had numerous health and safety issues like very low ceiling and having to keep lowering her head to move around, so then she managed to be moved to a room on the floor below which was more suitable, but it appears the room was cleaned or serviced during our stay and also to keep the window open a block of wood had to be used to keep the window up because the sash was broke and also the window was rotten. I myself had a 3rd floor single room which had a lovely sea view, but that came with safety issues regarding lack of space and worrying about banging my head, the shower room was a joke no room to move without banging in to an oversize hand basin, and also no where to put shampoo and shower gel in the shower and to top it all, when I got up Thursday my shower had stopped working, I reported the matter but the shower was still not working. I had to manage by washing myself by using the hand basin, I reported that shower 5 times and all I was told was that it would be done. also there were silly little problems in the dining room you seem to be chasing after cups and saucers and dishes all the time.There was avery annoying issue when we went into the dining room for the 1st time they tried to put my friend and I on seperate tables even though we booked the holiday together. There are some good points about The Russell the food was excellent and the restaurant staff where very obliging but there was not enough of them to cater for the amount of guests they where catering for, it was such a shame, I think the Russel Hotel could be made into a really nice Hotel if things like the lift which seemed to confuse everone that used it, was improved the location is fantastic and it has great potential

Room Tip: Keep away from the 3rd floor it is so hot and has limited headroom
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Stuart E
Reviewed 4 June 2014

yes down from london the hotel is now under new management since the owner die david the manager and staff very helpful and friendly
thank for the early breafeast on sunday as we went to gurnsey for day
the food was very good
terry enterment on sunday excellent i agree weymouth should promition of weymouth better and bring back old information centre
i lookforward to seeing hotel when refurishment is complete
good luck to daisha group
tony mbe