“nice hotel shame about the Receptionist”
Review of Riviera Hotel

and 1 more site!
Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is nice unfortunately for us we were put in a chalet at the back of the hotel to be honest the room was lovely clean and quite cosy they could do with new doors as there was a large gap in ours giving a draft however it was very clean and I loved it we had no problem with the breakfast and the staff in the dining room were very helpful and friendly.
Having said that they need someone on the reception desk with more experience when you approach them with a complaint there not interested.Unfortunatly for us we had inconsiderate people in the next chalet foul mouthed loud and kept us awake best part of the night so I approached the receptionist with my concerns and asked if they were staying another night the answer was yes and we had to put up with them another night no offer to change our rooms infect she had the I do not care attitude they forget that our staying their pays there wage and keeps them in a job. I was going book an extra night to surprise my fiancée however decided against it and we stayed in another hotel in another town.

Room Tip: ask to stay in the main hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gill b
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews & hearing some reports I was pleased to say the hotel food was very good & beautifully presented. The staff were very friendly helpful & willing to please.
The hotel was very clean, pool warm & bedrooms were comfortable, neat & well equipped. All in all very good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Linda E
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I've always wanted to stay in this hotel, as we used to visit the Waterside Holiday Park next door when I was younger and Weymouth, especially the Bowleaze Cove area has a lot of happy memories for me.

So, with all the necessary requirements (indoor pool, sea-view etc) we booked it up for an early November getaway for a few days.

I have to admit, that when we arrived and walked into the reception to book in, it was quite underwhelming. The girl sitting there was just covering and didn't know what to do so we had to wait for someone else to come. It's a shame she wasn't reception-trained as she was very approachable and seemed to have a bit of 'oomph' about her.

The girl that booked us in wasn't particularly friendly or chatty and wasn't even sure which way our room was. I do think that you need somebody on reception who has a little bit of personality - they are the face of your company and should be friendly and welcoming instead of being that little bit surly. However, that's not really too much of an issue. Perhaps with confidence she may shine!

We got to our sea-view room, we had already read reviews that the rooms weren't very big, so no shock there. We had a bath in our bathroom and everything we needed was there. THEN we sat on the bed. Squeaking and creaking like you wouldn't believe! We thought there was no way we'd get any sleep and would both be afraid to move in the night so we decided to see if we could change rooms. That was a silly move! We shifted all our bits and bobs to our newly allocated room, which seemed smaller and slightly less cosy and didn't have a bath AND the bed was just as bad! But we decided to stay put as we were on the end of the top floor and thought we'd not be disturbed with people walking past. We assumed probably that all the beds were the same - and it's surprising that they seemed unaware on reception of the problem.

This is a listed building so modifications to the outside aren't allowed. The walkway to rooms is covered from the top, but when the wind is up - you are going to get blown along! People will walk directly past your room window to get around the hotel.

The restaurant has been done up really well, it's very nice in there. However, we only opted to eat our breakfasts in there as the evening 'a-la-carte' menu was not to our taste. Plenty of fish and red meat but no chicken or fish and chips or anything such as that. Which is a shame, as we would have eaten in the restaurant otherwise. The breakfast however, was lovely. Lots of toast available, plenty of cereals and juices to choose from. The service was adequate and the breakfast freshly cooked. I can only assume from other reviews that perhaps when it's busier, a buffet style breakfast is served - but ours was all freshly cooked and served to us. Again, not overly friendly staff and no-one seemed too interested in engaging in any kind of conversation.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to use the pool after all, which was a shame as it looked lovely. There is a fitness centre there and they do have a few fitness classes running. I had emailed the fitness part the day before our arrival asking if there were any classes on and never got a reply, so was disappointed to find out there was a Zumba class running the evening we arrived which I would liked to have done. If they'd bothered to email me back, I could have been prepared

The room was clean, the bathroom was quite big really - and scented loo roll was provided! Tea and coffee facilities were great, plenty of choice and a nice packet of biccies.

However, no hand-wash or anything of the type was provided. A complimentary bar of soap and two small shower-gels were provided though.

On the point of cleanliness, the windows were filthy! When you pay for a sea-view, you kind of expect to be able to see the sea! We ended up taking some toilet paper and giving the windows a once-over ourselves. I appreciated being by the sea-side with all the salt etc, it's difficult. But knowing you have rooms being occupied, surely a quick once-over with a cloth should be standard?

I had to ask for a blanket as the duvets provided are not particularly warm and it being early November, I was chilly on the first evening. We went to reception and asked and were told 'if we've got one we'll get it to you'. Not really the response you expect? Whilst they did in fact provide an extra duvet, I would have expected more along the lines of 'no problem, we'll sort something out for you'. Again, this perhaps comes with more experience.

In all honesty, when we're on holiday, we don't really spend too much time in our room and hanging about the hotel anyway, so for us, none of the above was really any problem, but I just wanted to write an honest review.

To make up for the couple of shortfalls, the views and the walks from the hotel are quite glorious - even in the battering wind and rain.

I think the staff perhaps do need a bit of 'customer service' training and need to learn to be a bit less aloof and there is probably still quite a lot of work to be done at the hotel, but overall, it was a pleasant experience and I can't say that we had a bad time here at all and would definitely consider returning.

Room Tip: Go for a sea-view all day long!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Hotel looks a gem but it is staffed by very young people lacking experience in the Hotel business. Rooms are small and watch out for the sharp edges on the beds. The restaurant prices for dinner are ridiculous and more suited to a fine dining venue so we went 5 minutes up the hill to the Spyglass a full Calvary and a large glass of Red for £9 what a treat!

Such a shame that millions has been poured into this Hotel by a Saudi Family and has been left in the hands of low paid inexperienced young staff - it clearly needs direction structure and proper management.

Room Tip: If you don't pay an upgrade to have a room on the front then you'll be quite shocked with wh...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Charlesworth100
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Friendly staff on check in and a nice room with great views of Weymouth bay but breakfast was a disaster. Greeted by a girl wiping her nose with the back of her hand, only ordered bacon with scrambled eggs - the plate arrived swimming in liquid(?) which I had to soak up with a napkin. I ate the bacon and toast and when the girl came to collect my half eaten breakfast there was no 'how was your breakfast' offered from her - maybe the chef doesn't like feedback.

I would stay again for the room and views but definitely on a room only basis!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt_T0m
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have just returned from a weekend dance break. The hotel looks beautiful, the outside has been redecorated, gorgeous pool etc. Inside looks clean and modern. The rooms have been modernised (I have stayed there before, a few years ago) and at first glance look great. The bathroom was large , there was a small fridge, a kettle, and excellent, good quality tea/coffee supplies. Nice big wardrobe, great dressing table with a mirror and light, and sockets for hairdryer etc.

Now the BUT - I had a single room. The bed base is smaller than the mattress, metal, with sharp corners. I , and many of my friends in similar rooms, received badly bruised shins. The heater is fixed to the wall at the foot of the bed, but the gap between the bed and the wall is less than a foot. I walked through to get to the wardrobe after taking a shower and burned my hip!! Not happy!! They have obviously spent a fortune doing the place up, but for some reason left the original badly fitted doors, with a wide gap through which the wind off the sea whistles. One night was quite stormy and the door rattled all night.

However, I could forgive all these little niggles if it wasn't for the fact that the restaurant was abysmal. See the comments posted from people who attended a similar group event last week. None of those issues have been addressed! The food was sub-standard, and the service was worse. Totally unacceptable from a 1 star hotel, never mind a 3 star! Small portions, badly cooked, no vegetables, the same choice of just 3 desserts on 2 nights in a row. On the first night we were told to queue outside the door of the restaurant at 4.50 so we would be seated by 5. Then when we were all seated , we were told that we had to wait until our table was called, then go up and collect our own starter. When we had finished our starters we then waited until we were called again to collect the main course from the carvery - by this time it was 5.50, and we were expected to be out by 6 so they could reset for the second sitting at 6.30. One of the cooks (I can't dignify him with the title "chef") was heard complaining to the restaurant manager that people were taking too much food. The manager glared aggressively at me the whole time I was there because I took their cheese and crackers to 2 friends who were unable to come down to dinner. Many of the staff , including the Manager, were surly and downright rude, not just to me , but to several people. On the next two evenings the system was changed to waitress service. It was no quicker. The food was cold, portions pathetic, and very random. One plate of chicken was covered in carrots, the other one had a couple of pieces of carrot, and loads of broccoli. It looked as if they had thrown the food onto the plates from a distance. I have seen school dinners served better.

IF they take these comments and complaints onboard, and completely re-organise the restaurant, this would be a lovely hotel for group weekends such as ours and the jazz weekend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed for 3 nights with a line dancing group; having being a bit skeptical as we had stopped at the Riviera Hotel just shortly after the opening from major upgrades to the Hotel we had many problems. This time we where pleasantly surprised. The room found to be lovely and clean with no cobwebs, a large comfortable Queen Size bed with four pillows.
Provided in the room, a kettle with a nice selection of teas together coffee including decaffeinated and a packet of quality biscuits. Included flat screen television with free view, hairdryer and fridge. Bathroom with shower, everything nice and clean with extra large soft white towels supplied thought that was a nice touch, other items in bathroom a hot towel rail for keeping the towels aired.
Arriving at the restaurant for the evening meal, everything was laid out nicely the waiters had obviously gone through training and found to be helpful and polite and all spoke English, very rare in this day and age. When the request was made for items not on the menu, these where provided without any fuss. Food was good although I had very minuet portion of cheesecake put in front of me, the waitress obviously realizing the problem, offered me a larger portion. I did decline, I was thinking about my waist? (That could have been a good point.)
Breakfast was self service with a good traditional English breakfast and a range of cereals fruit and juices together with as much Tea and Coffee that you could drink. Toast was provided on the table and you could ask to have you egg cooked as you wanted. All the staff that we came into contact with, all found to be polite helpful and friendly. Now for the not so good points. On a couple of occasions shower ran out of hot water during the peak periods. The shower base was found to be very slippery, care needs to be addressed here. No grab rails or anti slip mats provided, may have been if we had asked. Those beds are really comfy but watch out for the base corners, they protrude beyond the mattress. I caught my ankle twice and it hurts. This is one for the Hotel to try and address, we had many members of our group having the same problem. Finally our experience this time at staying at the Rivera Hotel was much improved and would like to thank all the staff for there kind attention, they made it happen well done .
PS we stayed in room 201 overlooking the bay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends