“Will not return”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Kent, United Kingdom
“Will not return”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We arrived a little early so went to the bar for a drink. The staff seemed abrupt and not interested in their work. Being in catering myself I was disappointed that they have let a lovely location end up like this.

We got our key and went to a "sea view" room the honestly if you open the curtains you have to look left to see the sea and then the mould on the windows doesn't help. Curtains stayed shut. The shower door was half hanging off the rails (I reported this and it was fixed). Once we had our meal in the restaurant which like breakfast was average, we went to bed. And it got worse, the bed had a lump right in the middle, and the gap in the front door meant all I could hear was the wind howling through. I couldn't wait to check out and left straight after breakfast. "Was everything alright with your stay??" We were asked at the front desk. I explained about the wind and all I got was "should of reported it, we could have changed your room" not even an apology and at 3:30am when the wind got bad, the last thing I want to do is move my stuff to another room. I know they can't control the weather but an draft tight front door isn't too much to ask for? Very disappointed

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Kentman1234

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Grossly over priced for very basic accommodation - no air conditioning - couldn't sit on the toilet without my knees touching the towel rail ! It was noisy and my children were concerned for their safety overnight as the doors were ill fitting and other guests were left to argue outside our room at 3:00 AM without staff intervention.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Simon R

Travellers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My partner and I both checked in to this hotel for a total of two nights for a friend's function. The first impressions of the building were, at first, rather gloomy and weathered (but being at the sea side, it must come under a lot of weather and salty air). We forgave the general appearance of the outside the minute we stepped indoors. Beautiful reception area, light and modern with touches of art deco style.

Check in was problem free and everything was explained clearly. Lovely receptionist and later we'd meet two lovely ladies at the restaurant but that's where the good of the staff ends. The majority of the staff would swear and play fight together like we weren't even there. Nobody, especially at breakfast, made themselves particularly easy to find in case there was a problem or even just to get seated in the first place! So that was very disappointing. I feel a quick rehiring of the staff would bring this place up to scratch, because it seems to be the only thing dragging it down to the 3 stars it holds.

The interior of our twin room was perfectly pleasant with sea views from the windows. We would have seen the view better had it not been for two dead flies on the window sill and one fly fused onto the glass itself! The bathroom also had an aroma of wee, which wasn't particularly nice. The shower was not great, very hot, then suddenly cold, then back to scalding hot.

Beds were a little squeaky but what hotel room doesn't have a squeaky bed every now and then? Furnishings light and modern, lovely wall art and easy to use electronics. Our TV did have a sound problem in that after a while it would turn itself on to audio description mode (found out later by my father who was in a different room on the other side of the hotel that his tv did the exact same).

Breakfast was sensational. Lovely English breakfast in a buffet style, lots of cereals and fresh juices available. If this hotel could get 4 stars, it would be on the food alone! Very satisfied!!
But service was very slow. Waited over twenty minutes just to be served our first cup of coffee! Despite asking twice!

Overall this place looks like it is in the transition of a refurb, with bright modern rooms but lacking bright staff. An overhaul of the staff is certainly needed. Especially after the barman mixed two orders up and made a gin and lemonade, and malibu and tonic!! Woops!
I would stay here again but only for the views and the food. Otherwise, nothing amazingly special. Definitely deserving of 3 stars.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views! Always ask to get a room upstairs!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Meeshra
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Wanted a hotel close to my friends staying in a near by caravan park & a lovely hotel as my birthday. Traveling with my 3year old son needed to be child friendly.

The location is fab & the look from a distance of the hotel is fab, however close up looks really weathered & run down. I didn't want to believe other reviews on trip adviser but sadly true.

The welcome from the girl on reception was average, no how's your day or anything, I paid extra for a sea view which was lovely, however the room was nothing special, window was dirty both sides & dirty shelf. The shower head not clean & glass shower doors very unstable - not good with 3year old. That a side, bed was comfy, towels provided, wine & standard glasses, an empty mini fridge for use & hair drier. Very quiet rooms & slept very well.

Breakfast - waited around 5-10mins at the please wait to be seated sign, then a waiter came to sit us down. Help ourselves to fruit juice & could have had cereal which we decided not to.
We both had full English - they served my son an adult size so he was in heaven. Breakfast was lovely, only thing was over done bacon, but all to their own tastes.

After wanted to ask on swimming times, no one on main reception & waiter couldn't help, after 5mins of waiting headed to pool directly to ask about towels & children times.
All ok so went swimming. Being pool plant room trained, I'm pleased to say the pool levels for safety in the water seem perfect, downside is the H&S risks around the pool!! Around the edges by the jets missing buttons leaving big holes, not good for safety or children. Also missing caps by jets - again holes & is sharp all across the top - a big H&S
Changing rooms not cleaned, looks dirty & showers very run down & a dangerous set temperature, I like hot showers, however for a 3yr old far too hot so he couldn't shower!

Check out very quick & reception manager Dean (actually booked me in) very helpful & polite. Definitely should get employee of the month.

I've worked in hotels & stayed in them & sadly this one needs a lick of paint, more staff & a maintenance guy to go round doing odd jobs as clearly not being done!

Great if just for the night, certainly not worth the money for a longer stay.

Hotel does have lots of potential if just needs some TLC.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank cheekycheryl
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly people love to moan to much, me and my partner arrived and were totally gob smacked by the by the views of the beach and the hotel, we didn't have a sea view room but the room was lovely! Walked outside and there was a pair of rabbits In front of me! We wanted to go into Weymouth town so asked the staff at reception if they could order us a taxi, while we waited we chatted to the girls at reception and they were so friendly really make you feel at home! We came back from town and went for a last few drinks at the hotel where we chatted to the man behind the bar who even went out of his way to make sure me and my partner were booked for breakfast in the morning because I had forgotten to, breakfast was lovely! Always nice to have a nice fry up after a lovely nights sleep! I can't fault this hotel we were quite grumpy when we had to leave this morning, but will be returning very soon, so thanks so much for making my boyfriends birthday that special! Emma and Shane.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmmaEEE
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We arrived Monday 24 - Friday 28. Check in very good, we were part of a group of 60. Room had been refurbished. Rooms tight for space kept catching leg on end of beds which were square and sharp.Door did not fit draught all round. Service in restaurant a complete shambles. Took until Thursday evening for service to improve.Lack of choice of breakfast cereal and fruit first few days, again it was not until thursday before they got their act together.
We listed several things that needed attention in our room on tuesday morning. Including rubbish under one of the beds. Most things were delt with however despite speaking to reception again rubbish was still under bed when we left on Friday. We had the use of the Ballroom during the evenings, this was not cleaned the whole time we were there, tables not wiped or floor hoovered. Bar service poor, asked for a pint of guiness was given a can. I would not return here. Money needs spending on replacing doors and training staff. Our group leader booked this over a year ago so they knew they had a large party, but did nothing in advance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

After reading a few of the most recent reviews I was a little worried about staying here, however we had a very pleasant stay.

Good value for money - Checked in Saturday 29th March, for 2 nights for 2 people. Double room, with sea view & breakfast - £89 Sat night & £50 Sun night.

Check-in - friendly & efficient.

Room - (better than I expected) clean, comfortable bed, nicely decorated. Bathroom, nicely done with powerful shower.

Bar - service was a little slow, but friendly.

Restaurant - we didn't have a full meal here, but we had a lunchtime sandwich - which was fine.

Overall, a good experience and I would come back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple