“In need of TLC”

and 1 more site!
Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel is badly in need of external refurbishment and a new set of cleaners. The bathroom was not cleaned at all during a 4 night stay and neither was the room on one occasion.We paid for a sea view but you could only see the sea from outside the room. The variable water pressure made it very difficult to have a shower.The windows wouldn't shut properly so the room was very noisy. The external paintwork was appalling and made the hotel ( I use the word loosely - more like a 2 star holiday camp from the 60's) look like a dump.They don't open the main bar during the week and the bar in the eating area doesn't have anywhere to sit. The breakfast was okay but I can't comment on the evening meal as we didn't dare risk it

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
1  Thank 398Sue

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here in Feb on my way to a 50th Birthday in Devon What a Mistake this place is a Real Dump very un-helpful staff the Room looked modern but the Bed was as hard as a Board and at no time did i have any hot water! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank stevieb669
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After booking Riviera and reading all the bad reviews I did begin to wonder whether we had made the right decision.. I booked it for me and my boyfriend for a short weekend break, having been to Weymouth before I knew what I was expecting from the area and the hotel in photographs looked very pleasing on the eye and the location by the sea looked perfect! We also booked it on the fact it has an indoor and outdoor pool and gym. We are quite into our fitness and we read that the Hotel is approx a 2 mile walk from Weymouth so figured we could leave the car at the hotel and walk to town each day. I would estimate that the walk is prob 2.5/3 miles roughly but its a lovely scenic walk along a path by the beach all the way, the beach is very pebbly for half the distance so that isnt particulary comfortable to walk on..
When we arrived if we were to be picky, having read the reviews about the hotel needing paintwork we could agree, there is still work to be done on the exterior but to be honest this did not bother us at all because the inside of the hotel was decorated very nicely. There was plenty of room in the carpark to park my car and the outdoor pool had just been opened. Our room was pleasant, a very nice sized bathroom and it was all clean and tidy. Again, the outside door could have been replaced as this was a bit rickety in places not that it really bothered us. To be picky again it would have been nice to have a welcome folder in our room informing us of the wifi pin and access (even though this was stuck up in reception daily) gym and pool opening times and the opening times of the restaurant with a menu and what we could order to our room rather than keep having to check it online, The staff were very polite and helpful in the restaurant and reception, There are places nearby to eat and drink by foot and car if you didn't want to eat in the hotel, one downside is the restaurant only serves food until 9pm. The breakfast reviews seemed quite bad also and to be fair it isn't the best breakfast but it does the job and really isn't that bad! There is a choice of cooked or cereals and fruit etc.. The indoor pool facilities were nice, I was expecting more of a jacuzzi from looking on the website though and they are actually just water jets along the side of the pool. The pool is luke warm though so not freezing cold.
Overall we had a lovely weekend and would stay here again, perfect if you plan to visit other places and just want to use the hotel as a base to sleep.

Room Tip: Would possibly recommend a sea view room as the room we had did not have a view..
4  Thank Amy_Rebecca2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014

we were terrified on the way down as we checked the reviews... we didn't need to be.

but first I must state for some reason we got a free upgrade to a seaview, so that might cloud my review. but on with it-

there is good and bad here, but the good FAR outways the bad.

The Good-
~ the rooms are exceptionally well presented (but yes, on the small side)
~ the public areas of the hotel were spotless
~ free leisure centre use for residents
~ the staff were all very lovely and helpful. the receptionists were very incredibly pretty which is always nice and the waiting staff were enthusiastic and keen
~ rooms were serviced everyday
~ nice little mini arcade and play area with rides seconds walk away, with shops etc.
~ bar prices reasonable
~ have the breakfast, very reasonable
~ retro charm

The Bad
~ yes, some of the hotel needed a very good look at by site staff
~ nice TV in the room, but the number of freeview channels was poor (not hotels fault I assume its just what you get there) and I didn't go on holiday to watch TV
~ the juice glasses at breakfast were tiny
~ limited car parking, but apparently there is an overspill
~ the light at night on the walkways are a little bright if your curtains are not shut properly
~ I had trouble flushing the loo, the buttons were sticky (not really a bad my GF was ok)

the pool was nice, some of the tiles had grout missing, and the outdoor pool was closed for some work to be done. the changerooms were a long way from the pool too. but the staff were very nice and helpful. it was a bit annoying the pool was closed on some days for aqua zumba but I bet it brings in a big wedge for the hotel and its a business so I accept it.

in all, we will be going again. and will recommend.

Room Tip: try and get second floor 1-15 for best view
4  Thank martubby
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here last during the Olympics in 2012 and there was a real buzz about the place such a shame 2 years later was so different. Room was clean apart from dead fly in the spotlight in bathroom and the bed was really uncomfortable, it was hard, through being old, it was so noisy kept waking each other up every time one of us moved. The sea bay bar was closed which was a shame as it has the most spectacular views over weymouth bay. I understand that a wedding had taken place in that room but when we asked a member of staff if they would open it later his reply was " we can't afford the staff or the electricity to open that room!" Therefore you had to sit in the downstairs bar which is cold and impersonal or in the reception area. Breakfast you can not fault the quality of the meat products the sausage and bacon was very tasty however we would've preferred to have been able to sit down first before we were asked for our order! Then it was brought out before we had eaten our cereal and the guy promptly took it back in kitchen where it obviously sat under the hot plates, I would hate to think how rushed we would've been if we had arrived for breakfast near the end of service.

2  Thank Kasandali
Reviewed 20 June 2014

As a ex hotelier I understand visitors expectations and value for money. I booked this hotel for my wife and I's last night of our holiday visit to the UK. I paid for a sea view yet all windows in my room had frosted glass which is fine for bathroom windows. The room was small and pokey with little light. I was informed the advertised outdoor pool was not due to open for 3 days, given this was 17 June 2014 and and a beautiful sunny 22 C day I think someone should point out that this is summer. The Indoor Leisure Spa was a joke. The chap on reception was on a personal phone call making us wait for 5 minutes. I asked for a locker but was informed they were all broke. So if you do not like sea views or swimming this is the hotel for you

3  Thank Ricky S
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed for weekend, had a room in the block behind the main building, the room was clean and nicely decorated but exceptionally small, the view was dismal. We were with a large party and the staff in the restaurant were unable to cope. Also quite a way away from Weymouth beach and town centre. Just not worth the price tag.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the front
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends