“Quirky but Quaint”

and 1 more site!
Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel was built in 1937 as a holiday camp, owned by Pontins, all rooms are chalet style, we had room 103, the décor was of a high standard, the en-suite was excellent. We even had a fridge in the room.
We used the hotel to celebrate my daughter's birthday with an evening meal. The views from the hotel are fantastic.
Like to thank the assistant manger for making our stay a pleasure.

2  Thank Raymond C
riviera_team, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for your Review!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you taking your time to share your experience with our past and potential guests. We hope to see you again.

Kind Regards,
Carol Rooke, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My Daughter had her School prom here 3 days ago and when I fond out it was here I was pleased as the backdrop for photos is amazing. What a huge let down it was. The red carpet put out for the childrens arrival was stuck down around the edges with shabby looking duct tape, as a working hotel many of the guests were milling around in the background so would be seen in photos. The food was rubbish with my daughter describing her Hunters chicken as cold and like a microwave meal, lots of the student didnt get their main courses till gone 10am so most didnt bother to wait for pudding and the security staff were rude and obnoxious toward the kids probably because they thought that they could get away with it. A bouncy castle was promised but there wasnt one either much to my daughters dissapointment. At £34 a ticket and they cant even turn out decent pub type grub it was a disgrace. I intend to speak to the school about it as in my opinion they didnt ought to book it next year.

2  Thank sheilamaybery811
riviera_team, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Sir/Madame.

Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, however i feel some of the issues you have raised, although fair, we are not to be blamed. The function set up etc was organised by the school, we just provided the venue/staff and the food for the evening.
Therefore the red carpet was laid out and organised by the school, as well as the positioning for their photos. It was also the decision of the school to not put up the bouncy castle, this was out of the hands of the hotel staff. The price per ticket was also decided by the school.
We accept there were some issues with the food and the timing of service, in which we have apologized for and our chefs take responsibility for. This was unfortunate. We are sorry to hear your child found our security staff to be rude. We can ensure you this will be discussed through management. However i would just like to remind you our security staff were hired to do the job of ensuring health and safety of the children, therefore they had to act firm to stop the amount of children walking in front of cars and remove alcohol from their persons. As a parent we hope you understand the intention of our staff was to ensure guidelines were met, such guidelines that were outlined prior to the event which were the first responsibility of the parents and children.
Although we do not wish to pass full blame, as we do take responsibility for certain issues you have raised, we feel the majority needs to be discussed with the school.
if you require any further information or would like to discuss your feedback further please contact us directly on 01305836600 or email me at carol.rooke@rivieraweymouth.co.uk

Kind Regards,
Carol Rooke, General Manager.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

From the moment we arrived our welcome was warm and helpful from the reception staff. Our room was clean, modern and very airy and had clearly been refurbished very recently.
The hotel has an air of faded charm about it and is clean and functional. It is located a little way out of the town but there is a taxi firm on speed dial located in reception or you can brave the 20 minute walk into Weymouth. My only disappointment was the pool and spa area which is very tired to say the least. It is poorly designed and badly in need of a refurbishment. Sad that there was a children's swimming group scheduled for a Sunday morning when most weekend guests might want to use the pool after breakfast! The 2 staff members on the desk when I visited seemed dis-interested in us as guests.I can't comment on the food as I missed breakfast altogether! All in all it is well worth a visit and I will most certainly be staying there again.

1  Thank Rod R
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel is badly in need of external refurbishment and a new set of cleaners. The bathroom was not cleaned at all during a 4 night stay and neither was the room on one occasion.We paid for a sea view but you could only see the sea from outside the room. The variable water pressure made it very difficult to have a shower.The windows wouldn't shut properly so the room was very noisy. The external paintwork was appalling and made the hotel ( I use the word loosely - more like a 2 star holiday camp from the 60's) look like a dump.They don't open the main bar during the week and the bar in the eating area doesn't have anywhere to sit. The breakfast was okay but I can't comment on the evening meal as we didn't dare risk it

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
1  Thank 398Sue
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here in Feb on my way to a 50th Birthday in Devon What a Mistake this place is a Real Dump very un-helpful staff the Room looked modern but the Bed was as hard as a Board and at no time did i have any hot water! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank stevieb669
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After booking Riviera and reading all the bad reviews I did begin to wonder whether we had made the right decision.. I booked it for me and my boyfriend for a short weekend break, having been to Weymouth before I knew what I was expecting from the area and the hotel in photographs looked very pleasing on the eye and the location by the sea looked perfect! We also booked it on the fact it has an indoor and outdoor pool and gym. We are quite into our fitness and we read that the Hotel is approx a 2 mile walk from Weymouth so figured we could leave the car at the hotel and walk to town each day. I would estimate that the walk is prob 2.5/3 miles roughly but its a lovely scenic walk along a path by the beach all the way, the beach is very pebbly for half the distance so that isnt particulary comfortable to walk on..
When we arrived if we were to be picky, having read the reviews about the hotel needing paintwork we could agree, there is still work to be done on the exterior but to be honest this did not bother us at all because the inside of the hotel was decorated very nicely. There was plenty of room in the carpark to park my car and the outdoor pool had just been opened. Our room was pleasant, a very nice sized bathroom and it was all clean and tidy. Again, the outside door could have been replaced as this was a bit rickety in places not that it really bothered us. To be picky again it would have been nice to have a welcome folder in our room informing us of the wifi pin and access (even though this was stuck up in reception daily) gym and pool opening times and the opening times of the restaurant with a menu and what we could order to our room rather than keep having to check it online, The staff were very polite and helpful in the restaurant and reception, There are places nearby to eat and drink by foot and car if you didn't want to eat in the hotel, one downside is the restaurant only serves food until 9pm. The breakfast reviews seemed quite bad also and to be fair it isn't the best breakfast but it does the job and really isn't that bad! There is a choice of cooked or cereals and fruit etc.. The indoor pool facilities were nice, I was expecting more of a jacuzzi from looking on the website though and they are actually just water jets along the side of the pool. The pool is luke warm though so not freezing cold.
Overall we had a lovely weekend and would stay here again, perfect if you plan to visit other places and just want to use the hotel as a base to sleep.

Room Tip: Would possibly recommend a sea view room as the room we had did not have a view..
4  Thank Amy_Rebecca2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014

we were terrified on the way down as we checked the reviews... we didn't need to be.

but first I must state for some reason we got a free upgrade to a seaview, so that might cloud my review. but on with it-

there is good and bad here, but the good FAR outways the bad.

The Good-
~ the rooms are exceptionally well presented (but yes, on the small side)
~ the public areas of the hotel were spotless
~ free leisure centre use for residents
~ the staff were all very lovely and helpful. the receptionists were very incredibly pretty which is always nice and the waiting staff were enthusiastic and keen
~ rooms were serviced everyday
~ nice little mini arcade and play area with rides seconds walk away, with shops etc.
~ bar prices reasonable
~ have the breakfast, very reasonable
~ retro charm

The Bad
~ yes, some of the hotel needed a very good look at by site staff
~ nice TV in the room, but the number of freeview channels was poor (not hotels fault I assume its just what you get there) and I didn't go on holiday to watch TV
~ the juice glasses at breakfast were tiny
~ limited car parking, but apparently there is an overspill
~ the light at night on the walkways are a little bright if your curtains are not shut properly
~ I had trouble flushing the loo, the buttons were sticky (not really a bad my GF was ok)

the pool was nice, some of the tiles had grout missing, and the outdoor pool was closed for some work to be done. the changerooms were a long way from the pool too. but the staff were very nice and helpful. it was a bit annoying the pool was closed on some days for aqua zumba but I bet it brings in a big wedge for the hotel and its a business so I accept it.

in all, we will be going again. and will recommend.

Room Tip: try and get second floor 1-15 for best view
4  Thank martubby