“Go some were else”

and 1 more site!
Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel looks OK but whilst we were there there were two weddings and the best part of 80 bikers.
The room was OK.
They ran out of beer 2 days into our visit also ran out of fresh fish, lamb.
I asked a waitress for coffee to only to be told not my job.
We had to ask several times for toast, and yogurt before it finally arrived.
I reported a leak in the gents, I went back several hours later to find the same problem I reported the problem again and a sign saying wet floor was placed in that area, however you had to walk over a wet floor to see it.
The public areas were generally untidy due to the bikers but it would not take much to clean up.
I accept the hotel could do little to solve the following but some of the bikers were agressive and swore which was inappropriate as children and women were around.
Generally impression ...
The staff were generally good but unable to deal with the amount of people in the hotel .
Would I visit again? No. But I would ask any hotel if they were heavily booked, not that I would expect a true reply.
Date of our visit 01 to 06 july 2014, but never again

Room Tip: Go some where else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Splasham
Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was initially a bit concerned when I read the reviews of this hotel. Most will have a few 1 and 5 stars with more in the middle. This one seems to show extreme views and given the original purpose of the building, it is a bit of you either love it or hate it. The building was obviously designed for use in the summer only (before heating was installed) as all the rooms open to fresh air outdoors albeit slightly sheltered by the arched walkways. It did spend some of its history as a Pontins and the rooms externally reminded me of the Hi De Hi programme except these are concrete built in Art Deco design. I understand much refurbishment has been undertaken and you can see some areas have been upgraded including our room. Trouble is this is a listed building which means that materials used are controlled and specific and therefore hugely expensive.
True the grounds have yet to be addressed and you can see where there were outdoor facilities that may yet be reinstated. The grass was cut while we were there.
There was a bit of a hiccup with our booking as we required an accessible room and when I rang to check this a few days before, found this bit had been missed.
I must give full marks to the reception manager who went above and beyond to sort this out for us and I think he persuaded another guest who had been allocated one of the two accessible rooms (presumably as vacant rather than because needed as such) to swap so we could be accommodated. Our check in was efficient and friendly and we were directed to our room and even given a space to park that was closer than in the main car park which is a bit of a walk down the hill in the grounds. The view across to Weymouth and Portland is fantastic and right outside your door. We were on the ground floor for obvious reasons but I expect the view is even better from the first floor. Guests need to know that the wing closest to the road does not have a lift so it is some fairly steep stairs to floor one. The other half beyond reception where the banqueting suite and swimming pool is etc does have a lift. The place is popular for wedding receptions and there was one on while we were there but we were not disturbed by any noise from there. You can hear a bit of music sometimes from a pub or similar down the hill depending on the wind direction.
The indoor pool is quite nice although you do have to walk from the changing rooms along a bit of a corridor to get to it and down some steps. This is how it was built presumably which in 1937 was fine. It would not be permitted these days because of DDA etc.
The pool does need a bit of a refurb as some of the spa jets didn't work but it is fairly big for a hotel pool and you can be buffeted by water jets if you wish for an aqueous massage.
Tip, remember to take some shampoo with you as this is not supplied in the changing area showers.
The changing rooms really did need an upgrade and I believe these were the next area due to be tackled so they should be quite nice by now.
There is an outdoor pool also but it was a bit early in the season for this to be open.
The accessible room was fine. Ours had large twin beds and there is one more with a double bed. These are a bit low to the ground but there were plenty of pillows and the en-suite was a proper wet-room. It was tastefully decorated and had a fridge.
We mostly dined out in the evening but did use the restaurant on Sunday where they have a roast dinner special which was reasonably priced.
Breakfast arrangements varied dependent on the number of guests staying. Mostly it was a self service buffet including a hot counter with the usual fare and it was fine. On one day there were very few in so the hot course was cooked to order and brought to table.
I had no encounters with unhelpful staff during our 4 day stay. All the ones we dealt with in the restaurant, reception and room service were pleasant and cheerful. Reception would ask us when we passed through how we were doing and if we needed anything etc.
I did take a peek round the back and have to admit these rooms maybe could do with being taken out of service or used for staff accommodation. The view from these would be a plain white wall which is the rear of the front rooms and given the location of this hotel I cannot see why anybody would want to stay in a room with no view. If the hotel was near the middle of a city and meant for business travellers it may have a point but this place is a good mile out of Weymouth so the reason to go is very much for the views and fresh air.
We used to go camping a lot so like fresh air. I would imagine that anyone who has camped, caravanned or gone boating will like this place although I would not visit in January as the trip to breakfast could be a bit chilly. I put the value as average as this hotel is not cheap when compared to the local Shearings and it gets dearer as the season progresses.
Between May and October is the best time to stay and I do expect to return.

Room Tip: The rooms at the Northern end (nearest the road in) are likely to be quieter as the function suite i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Vinylman101
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a holiday booked through 'Eden Nights' holidays for dancers at the Riviera Hotel Weymouth on 18 July 2014. Paul Eden, who runs Holidays 4 Dancers was informed last week, by the Hotel management that his booking was cancelled (after firstly claiming that there was no record of it!) Paul sent me the email thread from the Hotel employees and Carole Rooke the General Manager.

It would appear the owners, Mr Mohammed Mouliah and Mr Sheikh Abdulaziz Ali H Bin Musallam, directors of Bowleaze Ltd, who own this hotel have given instructions that all these type of holidays were to be cancelled without explanation. It would appear from the e-mail thread that they were not receiving sufficient revenue in from these bookings and were undercharging!

We are devastated as we have taken time off work to go on this holiday. I took the initiative to telephone Carole Rooke who was very sympathetic. We also feel very sorry for Paul Eden who was undoubtably going to have very upset clients, although not his fault that he cannot supply our holiday.

Carole Rooke said she was very fed up with the state of affairs; it was out of her hands and she was at the end of her tether. She claims she has been threatened with violence from another very unhappy client.

I do hope you will read this sorry story and 'act with your feet.

This type of business etiquette and behaviour is something we should not tolerate.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jon G
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We arrived early, to be ignored by reception for at least 20 minutes whilst she was taling to a colleague. When conversation terminated, we were told too early, come back at 3.00. A lady from housekeeping walked by reception to inform them all rooms were now available.Reception advised us to park at back of hotel (if you can call it that, we were in a room that was obviously chalets from the old days), we drove to the back and would not leave my nice car in what appeared to be a scrap yard. Silly mistake, we should have checked out straighaway. To be fair, room decorated nicely in contemporary style, as was bathroom. Although both very small with oversized bed that I kept baning my legs on. Lots of bruises!!! We were asked if we would like an early morning call, we declined. But did question at reception later how this happens as no phones in the room.Advised bad storm that blew lines out and too expensive to get repaired.Gardens a joke, there are no sun terraces to sit and have a drink on.Was advised working on that project this year.Lawns not cut for a long period of time and certainly not a flower bed in sight.Walking to room allocated to us was like walking through a slum area.They might have spent £4M on the inside, but the buildings at the back housing rooms really should be pulled down.The next morning breakfast was a disaster.Staff rude, food cold.Chef does not know how to cook egg and bacon.When we asked the young lady why food was cold, she spoke to chef who advised us to plate e up the food and he would microwave!! Hash browns which appeard black already, would not have looked too attractive once zapped in microwave.At that point we decided to check out of hotel.This was a trip down memory lane for me. holidayed in Weymouth as a child.Had booked 2 night stay, but only stayed 1Do not go to this hotel, inside main building refurbished but a long wasy to go to even make a star rating We asked to speak to manager, but advised not in until 10.00 am.We returned to reception to be informed that manager in a meeting She did not have the courtesy to speak to us.The only good thing was she agreed to refund our 2nd night.

Room Tip: Cannot offer any tips, do not stay here, you will be disappointed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 898Julie
riviera_team, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
We are sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay.

Our check in time is 3PM, which is stated on all booking confirmations. Unfortunately this is our policy and is in place to ensure rooms are cleaned and checked to the correct standard before being released. I am sorry to hear you found the service you received from my reception staff inadequate, i can ensure you all reviews are taken on board and any issues i feel need to be raised will be discussed with departments in the correct manner.

We inform guests staying in our standard block of the car park you are referring to as an option if they would like to park closer to their room, we do also state it is a gravel car park and is used also by outside guests. However we do have a car park at the front of the hotel accessible to all guests, which is secured and monitored at all times. I apologize if it was not made clear you had the option.

We are happy to hear you liked the recent refurbishment of all our bedrooms. We also do understand the problem you are referring to in regards to the size of the rooms, meaning you banged your leg on several occasions. This is something we are looking into, however we do have larger rooms with more suitable space, which are available upon request. Unfortunately we do have an issue with telephones in bedrooms, which has been advertised on our website. We are currently looking into this and hope to fix the problem this year. Early morning calls are operated by our night staff knocking on your door. This should have been made clear to you upon your arrival, I apologize if this wasn't the case.

We are aware of the attention that the grounds of the hotel needs. And yes you were informed correctly that work is currently on going. we have flower beds planted and the lawns were cut two weeks ago, as we hired an outside gardener. We understand yours and other guests reviews about the grounds, but can ensure all feedback is used constructively to ensure they are brought up to the correct standards.

I apologize you were unsatisfied with the service you received for breakfast. i have spoken to the waiting and reception staff that dealt with your complaint. Although the points you have made are fair my staff have ensured me they did their best to ask you if you would like your food warmed up, a fresh breakfast or your money back, Which is the best they could do.

The receptionist of duty informed me of the issues you raised with her on the day of your departure as soon as i arrived. It was unfortunate i could not speak to you straight away however i had a meeting to attend to. You were offered to see me straight after my meeting and you were also given my personal email to express your feedback if you preferred. I feel this, along with the refund you received was appropriate and i hope you feel your complaint was dealt with professionally and fair whilst you were here at the hotel.

I appreciate your comments, both negative and positive. it is important for all feedback to be received and used to ensure we can improve where our guests see necessary.

if you would like to discuss your feedback further, please contact me directly and i will be more than happy to discuss your comments.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Great hotel, excellent location - lovely staff - newly renovated rooms! Fab breakfast...

Great base to explore the Jurassic Coastline... about £7 cab far into Weymouth, but actually it's a very nice walk.

The rooms must have been renovated very recently and they standard and furnishings are great.

Definitely highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

3  Thank IanJames101
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel was built in 1937 as a holiday camp, owned by Pontins, all rooms are chalet style, we had room 103, the décor was of a high standard, the en-suite was excellent. We even had a fridge in the room.
We used the hotel to celebrate my daughter's birthday with an evening meal. The views from the hotel are fantastic.
Like to thank the assistant manger for making our stay a pleasure.

2  Thank Raymond C

Thank you for your Review!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate you taking your time to share your experience with our past and potential guests. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My Daughter had her School prom here 3 days ago and when I fond out it was here I was pleased as the backdrop for photos is amazing. What a huge let down it was. The red carpet put out for the childrens arrival was stuck down around the edges with shabby looking duct tape, as a working hotel many of the guests were milling around in the background so would be seen in photos. The food was rubbish with my daughter describing her Hunters chicken as cold and like a microwave meal, lots of the student didnt get their main courses till gone 10am so most didnt bother to wait for pudding and the security staff were rude and obnoxious toward the kids probably because they thought that they could get away with it. A bouncy castle was promised but there wasnt one either much to my daughters dissapointment. At £34 a ticket and they cant even turn out decent pub type grub it was a disgrace. I intend to speak to the school about it as in my opinion they didnt ought to book it next year.

2  Thank sheilamaybery811
riviera_team, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Sir/Madame.

Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, however i feel some of the issues you have raised, although fair, we are not to be blamed. The function set up etc was organised by the school, we just provided the venue/staff and the food for the evening.
Therefore the red carpet was laid out and organised by the school, as well as the positioning for their photos. It was also the decision of the school to not put up the bouncy castle, this was out of the hands of the hotel staff. The price per ticket was also decided by the school.
We accept there were some issues with the food and the timing of service, in which we have apologized for and our chefs take responsibility for. This was unfortunate. We are sorry to hear your child found our security staff to be rude. We can ensure you this will be discussed through management. However i would just like to remind you our security staff were hired to do the job of ensuring health and safety of the children, therefore they had to act firm to stop the amount of children walking in front of cars and remove alcohol from their persons. As a parent we hope you understand the intention of our staff was to ensure guidelines were met, such guidelines that were outlined prior to the event which were the first responsibility of the parents and children.
Although we do not wish to pass full blame, as we do take responsibility for certain issues you have raised, we feel the majority needs to be discussed with the school.
if you require any further information or would like to discuss your feedback further please contact us directly on 01305836600 or email me at carol.rooke@rivieraweymouth.co.uk