“Three nights in sunny Weymouth”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Another weekend and another chance to escape to the coast in the sunshine - and when we pulled up at the Riviera in Weymouth I was transported back in time to well before my existence. The hotel externally is unchanged from its original design spanning out in an arc shape overlooking the sea and the main town of Weymouth - the setting,view and appearance of the hotel were in my opinion outstanding. Unfortunately the hotel service and room conditions didn't quite match up with my expectations, in all my group occupied three rooms of the hotel and each of us had complaints to share about the rooms condition, from coffee stained walls and skirtings to broken bedside tables and uncleaned areas.

The rooms were nicely designed and obviously updated relatively recently but it appeared that there were not proper checks in place to monitor the condition and cleanliness of rooms and hence the list of complaints that we all had about them. The restaurant and breakfast facilities however did satisfy, they were totally satisfying in both appearance and quality, the waitresses were very helpful and polite and there were plenty of them to service the relatively busy breakfast crowd without neglection.

All in all we had a nice stay and certainly cannot complain about the location and views from the hotel, the food was good and other facilities thoroughly outstanding (dual swimming pools, gym, sauna, pool room etc.). The rooms however were very disappointing and a better room cleaning service is badly required as well as essential maintenance.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank belty-b

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I originally booked this as the weather was great, and the outdoor pool was the main attraction.

Unfortunately when we arrived, the outdoor pool was closed - check in receptionists didn't even mention it which I thought was poor.

We only later found out when we heard another customer loudly complaining (to no avail) about it.

The indoor facilities were nice, very small sauna and steam room and readably sized pool with jets.

Room was small but clean and nicely decorated.

For weymouth it's a good base especially if you are driving as they have a large carpark which is free.

Outdoor pool being closed was a massive disappointment and I, along with other guests felt a bit cheated especially when given no explanation by staff

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah J
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Don't know where to start. The photos look really great on their website how ever on arrival the hotel looks really dated and in desperate need of modernising . The room we stayed in was just a basic double but on arrival the toilet hadn't been flushed from whom ever stayed before ( not very welcoming ) The kettle was disgusting and the shower sprayed water everywhere except on my head. The evening meal wasn't much better. After a reasonable wait we had to ask on three separate occasions for items of our meal to be brought to the table. My wife's meal was no better than a regular pub meal just edible. The breakfast wasn't any better and we ended up leaving most of the cooked food. Would I stay there again.?? No I wouldnt

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nick j
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Looked great on the internet but in reality, poor, very poor. The sea views aren't seaviews if your in one part of the hotel, even though they say all rooms on the front are classed as sea views. The only way to see the sea is to poke your head out into the public outside balcony and look to your left. If you look in front of you, through the heavy mesh curtain you see a grass bank! Only access to your BOX ROOM is via the outside balcony that everybody walks past and this is the side the ONLY WINDOW is on. The SMALL WINDOW has to have a mesh curtain on it as everybody can see into your BOX ROOM. This makes it very DARK AND DINGY. The ensuite is EVEN DARKER with no natural light. The exterior could do with a massive makeover and smarten up. DIDNT EVEN STAY A NIGHT, BOOKED IN AND AFTER SEEING WHAT WE HAD FOR QUITE A LOT OF KOHEY, GOT A FULL REFUND. AVOID THIS PLACE.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Having spent 4 days there was quite an insight to this Hotel.
The staff are all absolutely fantastic,they will go the extra mile to help you, nothing is a problem for them.
Now my daughter and i have specific dietary needs, yet again no problem for the kitchen staff,even had the chefs come to our table to discuss any issues we have, fantastic service.
House keeping, yet again nothing was a problem a friendly bunch to say the least.
So overall the hotel staff do a fantastic job.
Now here lies the problem, there seems to be a 40ft bubble around the reception area,after this the hotel starts to look neglected,missing or blown lights, some of the corridors need repainting,even the room is stayed in could of done with a lick of paint,especially above the heater to cover the black smudges, broken glass doors up-stairs by the riviera suite,the doors seem to have paint flaking of them, the outdoor walkway to our room,was covered in spider webs full of dead flies,some of the internal walls need re-plastering, local children sneaking into the indoor swimming pool via an unlocked door which i believe cannot be seen by the lifeguards cctv camera.
As for the heated pool(s) the outside pool use to be heated but the heating unit is broken and has not yet been repaired.
Another gripe is the hotels room photos,even a member of staff said the were a bit misleading,they do appear to be bigger than they actually are, but saying that most hotels employ Hotel Photographers to "enhance " the looks of the property.
The cost of the Double room i stayed in was £119.00 per night,yes there is a sea view from the window but it is a better view if you open the door and go and stand on the walkway outside your room.
While i'm thinking about rooms, just one hyphenated word comes to mind air-con,if you do decide to stay at this hotel bring your own fan.
So overall a average hotel,with great staff, just needs some more money invested into it to bring it up to standard

Room Tip: 1st floor, front. on the right of reception give the best sea views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Andy C
Reviewed 6 August 2014

OK, so after reading the mixed reviews we decided to give the Hotel Riviera the benefit of the doubt as it was convenient for where we needed to be.
On arrival the hotel looks really impressive especially at night and from a distance. The staff were very helpful and friendly on check in and we were given our keys to room 120 (with sea view) £119 bb. (full payment is taken up front which we found a bit strange).
We opened the door to a room no bigger than 10x12. Entering was difficult as the door missed the bedside cabinet by 2inches. The bed had a two feet clearing on the corner right where you enter the bathroom which I caught my leg on at least four times and have the bruises to prove it. The bed was clean, which was one of the redeeming features of the room. Although for me the room in general really didn't feel very clean.
The bathroom (shower only) was so small that it is difficult to sit on the toilet without catching your knees on the wash basin. The toilet is also right next to the original stainless steel window, so if you are sitting other guests are walking right past you on the other side of the glass. The shower had black mould on the lower tiles which stank the following morning after the steam from the shower set it off.
Although the hotel has had a major refit it is lacking. The furnishings are all very nice and modern, but it feels like they have been placed in a concrete garden shed. One unexpected bonus of this however, was that in the absence of aircon on a hot night...we had the benefit of the large gap around the door.
Breakfast and the service provided by the staff was okay. Again though I noticed how stained the chairs and walls were.
After breakfast we returned to our room and were welcomed by the smell of damp, but also the smell of burning from the fridge which was within an enclosed cabinet. On inspection the light was on but the fridge was not working. We packed our case and lifted it over the bed to get out of the door.
I took the keys back to reception and explained that I had turned the fridge off due to the smell of burning. The receptionist was very pleasant as she acknowledged my comment. I waited for some kind of reaction...nothing. No "thank you for letting me know", no "I will get someone to look at it, no apology, nothing, she didn't even pretend to make a note of it. At that point I asked if there was anything else we needed to do and she smiled and said "no, that's everything" It was as quick as that. We weren't even asked if we'd had a nice stay. Not that I'd have said anything because it was obvious that she really wouldn't have cared. I am sure people must complain all the time. And, it really isn't her fault or the fault of the staff, they really are just making the best of what they have to work with, which sadly could be something pretty amazing.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a seaview.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Watson83
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel itself is in an ideal location. Right on the coast with spectacular views.
The room was...cosy. Pretty clean, not spotless but not a great deal to grumble at.
We were only staying for the night so wasn't too bad, wouldn't want to stay longer than 1 night here however.
Easy access to the beach and we had great weather while we were there so made it lovely.
Room was pretty warm but realistically probably still cooler than my room would have been at home. People moan about no air con, but who's used to having that luxury at their own home anyway?
Hotel just needs a fair but of work doing to it. Several maintenance issues and cosmetic work and it would be lovely!
Average staff but pleasant enough. Just in need of some TLC

Stayed: August 2014