“Mercure Weatherby Hotel”
Review of Mercure Wetherby

Mercure Wetherby
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Wetherby
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed for one night for somewhere different for my partner and I. The location was good (straight off the motorway).... The rooms were nice, clean and tidy and all the staff were really polite and helpful. I found this hotel good value for money for the price of the rooms, however the drinks and food were expensive. We were charged £7.50 for a pint of shandy and a pint of soda water!!! (which is why i've only given 4 stars) One of the bar staff recommended the Black Bull for a night out and and it was a lovely pub with a good atmosphere, the drinks were reasonably priced too. There was only one club in the area (The Angel), we didn't get chance to see what it was like because it had a private function on. Overall I would stay here again but not use the bar...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dominic B, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you for your contractive comments regarding the bar prices and I hope to welcome you back in the hotel in the nearer future.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Dropped in for an overnight stay and breakfast as we were in the area and had used the hotel in the past. Chose the basic room package which offered good value only to find that when we opened the door it was obvious that there was another family in residence. Within 5 mins the duty manager had cut another key this time for a newer suite room which offered more room, more comfort and a much cleaner environment and had waived all extra charges as a sign of good faith. The evening meal was of good quality and there was a large buffet to choose from in the morning. The only concern I had was the price of the drinks from the bar. The staff were polite and attentive, there was a large car park and the hotel is situated a few minutes walk from the town of Wetherby itself. Overall thoughts were that we would stay there again as it offers reasonable value for the costs involved.

Room Tip: If you have a specific request contact the reservation desk as early as possible as they do aim to p...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Middxkid
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed here for a night between Christmas and New Year and some things were good, some not so good.
On booking the hotel the lady on the telephone was very helpful as we wanted to come in the morning, park the car, go for a wander and a bite to eat in Wetherby and check in later.
Upon arriving the receptionist was quite helpful and authorised our car park ticket (making it free) so I knew we wouldn't have a problem upon leaving the car park the next day as it uses a barrier.
When we returned we checked in fully and our booking have been almost completed so that saved a bit of time. We were asked if we wanted a newspaper in the morning which I accepted but didn't realise I'd have to pay for, I thought it was complimentary. We had pre-booked a 2 course evening meal and were encouraged to book a time even though we said we'd be going down earlier (before 7 p.m.) rather than later. As we expected it was empty so the booking was pointless, however on the plus side the food was good, it's just a shame there was no atmosphere in the place. The waiting staff were pretty new to the job (2 months) and although they had the best intentions it showed in the service. I had fish and chips and asked for garden peas as I don't like mushy and the waitress said she'd check with the chef. Didn't hear anything else until our meals arrived and mine included mushy peas (frustrating). I was then informed they didn't have any garden peas (what - how difficult is it? Just boil up some frozen!) so my plate included a ramekin with mushy peas on it! I repeated that I don't like them so ended up just taking them off my plate and putting them to the side of the table. We didn't partake of the wine as I thought the prices were ridiculous.
The room itself, described as a suite, was clean, a good size, well stocked with tea/coffee/milk. The shower was a strange affair. Described as a Japanese shower it had jets either side and a traditional head but I quite enjoyed the experience! My wife would have preferred a bath (note to self: check next time). Towels were nice, TV was a bit of a faff if you just wanted to watch normal channels. Free WiFi was a nice bonus.
We wandered down to breakfast in the morning which was in a different part of the restaurant and we could have done with a bit of information from the staff as to what was on offer, we were marked off on the register and left to fend for ourselves. We'd been there a while before we noticed another section with cold meats, cheeses, yoghurt etc. We helped ourselves to cereal and toast and ordered tea. The hot breakfast was buffet style and included fried bread which I haven't had for years so that was a nice change however all the food was not quite warm enough for my liking, ok to eat but would have been better a bit hotter. In addition, they ran out of eggs and bacon for a while and I saw one lady waiting and waiting before getting fed up. I waited for an extra fried egg at our table so I could see when they were ready and that one was actually hot enough as it had come straight out of the kitchen.
The hotel itself is in a great location as you don't have to drive into Wetherby but you only have a short walk over the bridge to get into the town.
The hotel could do with a refresh as it's getting a bit tired, for example we could see daylight through the doors in the restaurant.
For the price (which was an offer) it was acceptable but as per the title could have been so much better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review and all constructive comments. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Wetherby Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed overnight for a do in Boston Spa. Great location for both Wetherby and Boston Spa only £6.50 to Boston. Good value for money, attentive staff, room clean, bed comfy, Wifi signal good, will stay again if the need arises
Taxis used was ASAP on the way there and Elite Private Hire on the way back, both arrived on time good company and charged the amount agreed what more could you ask for, look them up if you need a cab in Wetherby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and hope to welcome you back in the hotel soon.
Beata Gornik

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed the one night for race meeting. Good points: location great for Wetherby and the race course. Price was reasonable for one night. Free WiFi with ok signal even in our room, which was a good distance from reception. Room was clean. Staff pleasant and helpful. Only the one bad point: hotel is a little tired. Would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you all your comments and I hope your next visit is going to be pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed 3 nights here and really enjoyed the stay. I agree with previous reviewers that the building is looking a little tired . However, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. i was given a studio room which was spacious, very clean and comfortable. I had breakfast included in my room tariff. There were juices, cereals and a hot buffet which had a good selection. I would have liked to have seen yoghurts available plus the availability of low fat spreads and milk.
I had one evening meal in the restaurant which I enjoyed.
The location of the hotel is excellent - minutes off the A1 and a very short walk into the town of Wetherby.
I shall certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Mark Hoyland

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wetherby
Days Inn Wetherby
Premier Inn Harrogate South Hotel
Britannia Leeds Hotel
Britannia Leeds Hotel
#72 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Mercure Wetherby? Share your experiences!