“Leeds Festival”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Wetherby
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Leeds Festival”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Hotel is located ideally for the Leeds Festival. The lady on the desk managed to check us in early. The hotel was open all night and we had some drinks afterwards. Breakfast was very good, especially the bacon. Accommodation was quite expensive, but the whole area was busy, guess that’s the reason. Will come back next year!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eleonora S
mark h, Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and I hope that we will welcome you back in the hotel in the nearer future.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel is in need of a makeover and some spending on it.

The room was compact which in of itself isn't too bad as I have stayed in smaller rooms in Paris, however the fixtures and fittings are from the eighties. All of which means a dilapidated room which isn't pleasant to stay in especially when you consider we spent £143.50 for the privilege.

The room service menu was a joke. Four sandwich options - the cheapest top of the list was £7.95 for a Cheese & Picke sarnie which is a little steep to say the least. We didn't order becuase I can only imagine it would also have been a dissapointment.

Breakfast was not bad. It had the full offering of cooked and continental options but the cooked breakfast was kept warm under hot lights rather than covered food warmers therefore the food dried out while standing there.

In short - find a Travel Lodge - better value for money and more likely to be a more updated room.

(PS : Look out for the stock in trade copy paste repsonse from the hotel management below thanking me for my comments and taking my comments onboard like those before me.)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank VWils0n
mark h, Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive comments concerning your stay and I am sorry if it was not to your satisfaction. We always strive to give the highest standards and service here at the Mercure Wetherby Hotel and so I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your comments in more detail. Please feel free to contact me on 067gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk and thank you once again for your review.
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Wetherby hotels

Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Only stayed for one brief night, arrived at 10pm and left by 9am. The staff we encountered were OK - neither friendly or unfriendly, and did their job. The hotel interior was clean but dated. The room was small and, again dated, in need of modernisation. For example, the (very, very bright) 'reading lights' over the bed caused some kind of electrical buzzing behind the headboard when switched on and all the furniture was very tired and dated. The advertised flat screen TVs would have been current about 15 years ago!

The bed was uncomfortable and was a double rather than a queen size (to be fair, this was as described but my expectations are now higher based upon my experiences staying at significantly cheaper hotels).

The bathroom was the worst part - overall it required 'modernisation'. For example, I could not physically use the over-bath shower - I am 6ft tall and the shower head was at approximately chest height! My wife is nearly a foot shorter than me and had to bend over to wet her hair! The taps had to be screwed tightly off to avoid drips and the toilet cistern filled then dripped noisily for several minutes because the shut-off valve was faulty or simply worn out.

The room service menu was half an A4 sheet (with a nicely torn edge) providing us with a simple printed list of sandwiches (including exotic delights such as cheese and pickle). My only disappointment here is that I didn't order one just to see what you got for your £8!

Breakfast was a typical buffet affair, with the cooked breakfast elements slowly drying and congealing in their warming containers. Edible but not going to win any awards and definitely not the reason for the room tariff..

Frankly, I have stayed at better Travelodges.

The £143 we paid felt like a complete rip-off and we will never use this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark W
mark h, Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review and all your constructive comments. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t have a fully enjoyable stay. Please accept my apologies once again.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I arrived at this hotel as somewhere to stay for an informal meeting and break my journey. Upon entering I asked a passing member of staff where I could find the bathroom, he pointed me to a location just opposite the reception. I went into the Gentleman's bathroom and was immediately in darkness until a good few seconds later when the lights automatically switched on, either that or the girl on reception did it! I was then hit with the stench! A stench that smet like it had not been cleaned for years and judging by the state of the floor and staining I suspect that was the case! There was at least 3 dollops of wet used toilet roll randomly dumped on the floor (not in the cubicles)! The stench was so bad I had to go and find somewhere else to urinate! I then went to the bar area to grab a drink as there was now no one on reception. Upon entering the bar I was greeted by I presume fellow guests who were content on getting as much Stella down their necks and laid on the settees like some student dos house (this was 17:00)! I sat down and started checking my emails, I waited and waited and waited and at no point did the numerous staff approach me to see if I wanted a drink! I eventually asked for a cup of tea and was immediately asked for a credit card! This place is a disgrace, its like Alan Partridge on speed! Tried to pay but the waitresses were too busy filling sachets of sauces in china cups for the restaurant, that says it all! I came to leave and realised I needed to pay for the car park, I approached reception and was met by 2 staff behind it and 1 in front of it; the one in front of it asked what I wanted. I explained I wanted to pay, I was asked for a ticket. I explained that the barriers were in the upright position when I arrived, at this point they all just walked off and I was left alone for a few mins until one returned and thrust a ticket in my hand!!! Customer Service!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pass it by!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank ExplorerIIYorkshire
mark h, Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,
I very much appreciate your comments regarding your visit at the Mercure Wetherby Hotel and I am sorry that it wasn’t an enjoyable experience . Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Wetherby Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.
Kind Regards
GLASGOW
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here last night as I was down having a meeting at my office the hotel is in a great location just of the motorway

Stayed here a few times now and never any issues always friendly staff good food and a great breakfast

Room was one of the studio rooms at the end of the hotel so very quite, good size room with comfy bed and room very clean and no problems staying here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
mark h, Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wetherby
Days Inn Wetherby
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
The Bridge Hotel and Spa
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Mercure Wetherby? Share your experiences!