“Service good but food average”
Review of Wood Hall

Ranked #36 of 74 Restaurants in Wetherby
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Visited Wood Hall on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal booked on the internet. I was disappointed with the food. Firstly I thought 'nouvelle cuisine' (as in 'very small portions') was old fashioned now. Don't get me wrong, it was beautifully presented, and the service was excellent, but somehow they seemed to be trying so hard to be a posh hotel that the quality of the food suffered. We only had a choice of 3 main courses on our 'deal', (which was mentioned several times by the staff as if reminding us we were in the cheap seats) and the only one I liked was the beef. Unfortunately I got a very fatty (small) piece of beef, so I couldn't eat it as I don't like fatty meat. I did tell the waiter but he just said 'I'll have a word with the chef' but nothing more was said or done about it.

To make things worse, when we went down to breakfast the next morning we ordered a full English breakfast, to be told 'sorry we've run out of bacon'. What? That's like having a roast dinner without the roast! We were offered an extra (small) sausage to compensate but it wasn't the same....... there was supposed to be baked beans included too, but there wasn't a bean in sight on either of our plates. Maybe they'd run out of those too but just forgot to mention it. The service was so slow they could have nipped down into Wetherby and bought the missing ingredients from Morrisons - who'd know? There's no use in trying to impress your guests by telling them all the produce is 5 star organic, locally sourced etc. etc. if you don't have any to give them.

Apart from that, the hotel itself is in a beautiful setting and worth a visit, but I wouldn't go there just for a meal. You can get much cheaper, more plentiful and better quality food at many nearby restaurants and pubs.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We visited this restaurant for dinner on Friday. The welcome was very good.
The menu somewhat restricted was expensive compared to other 4star establishments.
Starter which consisted of 2 scallops in a pea sauce £18. Main courses equally as expensive.
It was obvious that we were the only non residents in the restuarant. The quality of the food was good and service also. Does not compare to other quality resataurants such as Middlethorpe Hall.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Booked late but managed to get the last table. Arrived to a complimentary glass of Sparkling Wine and shown to the table at exactly 12.30pm. lovely table by the window, and had a fantastic 3 course meal served by Stefano. The food was fresh, locally sourced and the Roast Sirloin of Beef, well cooked and medium rare. Great day, good value and will return to this lovely hotel in a beautiful setting. Thanks to all for making the day special.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

My wife & I felt the lounge a liittle cool for a pre-lunch drink on a February Sunday afternoon.The decor also looked a wee bit tired.Apart from that the food was almost excellent.I had the traditional roast beef main course.I do not like rare beef so I asked for well done & it was just fine.My wife had pork for main course but she felt it was not the tastiest of pork .We both had an generous smoked salmon starter & the sweets were a delight.Coffee served in the lounge with fudge rounded off a very satisfying meal.The pork supplier needs a word .Overall the staff were very pleasant,welcoming & attentive.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Outstanding! Stayed one night in jan 2013 for my wife's birthday and made use of a great value spa deal... Excellent venue, fantastic room, wonderful scenery, amazing food and service. Heated pool and small - but well equipped gym are clean and friendly staffed. Only negatives would be no wifi in rooms - only in the bar and you have to brave the outside for 2 seconds between the hotel and pool - it was minus 4 though!