“Clean and friendly but very dated”
Review of Borough Arms Hotel

Borough Arms Hotel
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed here for a night as I was working close by the next day. The staff were good and my room clean, with a comfortable bed. But everywhere was a bit dated and the decorations rather tired. However, this is not an expensive place, the meal I had in the bar was good and excellent value as was breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
BoroughArmsHotel, Operations Manager at Borough Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

May I firstly thank you for your recent stay at The Borough Arms hotel and for taking the time to compile a review.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is good to know you found the food and service good value during your stay.

We take pride in offering our guests an excellent service and an enjoyable stay and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We are a group of ladies who meet regularly for lunch and looking for somewhere different and were recommended the borough arms it took me right back to my youth it was always regarded as posh we'll it has a touch of faded grandeur about it but the lunch itself was incredible value for money two courses for £8.95 including coffee and mints or three courses for £11.95 a good selection for all tastes I chose the roast beef it was beautifully cooked with a generous selection of vegetables a yummy syrup sponge and custard finished the meal quite nicely the restaurant was very quiet and unobtrusive very gentle background music made for a nice relaxing and unhurried meal a very sweet waitress with a beautiful smile looked after us and made us feel very welcome the whole experience was wonderful we will surely return again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
BoroughArmsHotel, Operations Manager at Borough Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

I would like to thank you and your friends for choosing The Borough Arms Hotel for your lunch and for taking the time to compile a review.

I am very pleased that you had such a pleasant experience with us and that the food provided was incredible value for money and our service made you feel so welcome. I am glad that you found the chef's homemade syrup sponge & custard was so yummy!

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon for many more yummy puddings

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed at the Borough Arms Hotel whilst visiting my husband in the University Hospital Stoke. He was having a major operation. I cannot fault the kindness and understanding that was shown to me during my five day stay. I was given an excellent suite with wonderful facilities and very clean. The staff were marvelous - very attentive to all my needs. The food was excellent and most enjoyable. I have stayed in many hotels and feel that this was by far the best. Well done to all concerned in giving a first class experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent difficult circumstances and very happy that the staff all looked after you so well and were attentive to your needs. It was a pleasure being of service to you and it is good to know the food and service were so good during your stay.

We take pride in offering our guests an excellent service and an enjoyable stay. We are also scheduled to undergo a full refurbishment programme in 2014 which will further improve guest experience once complete.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel in the future for a relaxing break and wish him all the best in his ongoing recovery.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Borough Arms in January. The hotel has seen better days. The room was a good size and so was the bathroom but sadly both were rather dated. The hotel had a dining room with a menhu on display but on the night we stayed it did not open. On the plus side there was free wif. Despite all this it was not overly expensive, which is proably why the car park was full thaat evening, and we probably got what we paid for.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
BoroughArmsHotel, Operations Manager at Borough Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

I am glad you enjoyed our free Wi-Fi service but it is a shame that you did not have the opportunity of using our restaurant, which is open every lunch time until 2:00pm and evenings (except Sunday) until 9:00pm.

I am glad that you believe we offer good value for money and I hope that I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future when you will hopefully choose to sample our excellent cuisine.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have used the Borough Arms on a couple of occasions now for business meetings. We have been provided with an excellent meeting room, good support and a great lunch to follow the meeting. The food in particular was excellent on our last visit. Will certainly use again :) Many thanks to all the team.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul M

Firstly may I thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor following your recent business meetings at the hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you felt that we provided you and your colleagues with an excellent meeting room, good support and a great lunch.

I have passed on your comments to all the team here who appreciate your praise.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Borough Arms Hotel for your meetings and I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues to our hotel once again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Decided to pop in for lunch rather than going into the town centre for a change. As it was just after noon it was very quiet but I was welcomed by a very friendly bar assistant who quickly took my order. I had a hot turkey baguette which was accompanied by a large salad and the most delicious chips I have had in a long time. It was all freshly cooked to perfection and the taste and presentation excellent. Although a little dated the Gladstone Bar was clean and comfortable and all for about £5.
Will go again for lunch and will try the restaurant at some stage based on this experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Firstly may I thank you for your recent review and for choosing The Borough Arms hotel.

I am delighted to hear that your meal & drinks were good value for money and that our staff provided such good, friendly service. I have passed on your kind sentiments to all the staff involved who always aim to exceed customer expectations.

We are currently planning a refurbishment to update the hotel including the bar and I do hope that I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future to sample one of our restaurant meals.

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent! The food was out of this world and the service was fantastic! The staff were very friendly and made us very welcome! We did not have to wait long for our food! Can't wait to go again! I would highly recommend visiting the Borough Arms!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean W

I would like to thank you for choosing The Borough Arms Hotel for your Valetines Dinner and for taking the time to compile a review.

I am very pleased that you had such a pleasant experience with us and that the food and service provided was fantastic and out of this world. It is the highest of praise to receive recommendations from our guests to their friends and family and your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back soon for many more happy occasions.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Newcastle-under-Lyme Central
Travelodge Newcastle-under-Lyme ...
#3 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke-On-Trent (Hanley) Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Borough Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!