“A top quality service”

Borough Arms Hotel
Newcastle-under-lyme, United Kingdom
“A top quality service”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We booked a private room and buffet for the wake following a funeral. From the first booking discussions, right through to the end of the function, the service was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble for the General Manager and staff. Every request was fulfilled or even exceeded and our event therefore went like clockwork. The food at the buffet was of a very good quality and staff repeatedly checked that all was well. We would have no hesitation in recommending others to use this hotel for functions. We were very impressed with the service and could not have asked for more.

1 Thank Rosemary E
BoroughArmsHotel, Operations Manager at Borough Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I would like to thank you for choosing The Borough Arms hotel to host your wake and for taking the time to compile a review.

I am delighted that you found all our staff very helpful from your initial contact right through to the end of your gathering and that the service provided by the staff on the day exceeded your expectations.

It is our aim to provide outstanding service and ensure that all events run smoothly and I am especially glad that this has been the case during such a difficult time for your family.

I hope i will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in happier circumstances in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We spent 2 weeks in June it was our second visit. Thank you Mr.A.Sheikh and all the staff for making our visit really special.We had a lovely time & the food was excellent we hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank divine147
May I firstly thank you for your recent stay at The Borough Arms hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again and am very happy that you felt our staff helped ensure your visit was special.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have booked the Borough arms hotel for almost every important occasion in our family for the last forty years, the most recent being my parent's ruby wedding anniversary. Every time we go, we are impressed by the welcome we receive. The service is first class, nothing is too much trouble and the food, even when catering for large numbers, is excellent. Huge Thanks to all at the Borough for making my parent's evening so special.

Room Tip: We didn't book an overnight stay this time.
1 Thank fifilafoo2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel once again for such a special occasion and for taking the time to compile a review.

It's great to get positive feedback about the hotel, especially the staff who go out of their way to make the business what it is.

The service and food that we provide is something we all take great pride in here at the hotel and to hear that we are getting it right is very encouraging.

To know that we are able to achieve such consistently high standards so that you continue to use our services over a 40 year period is fantastic and I will be sure to pass on your kind sentiments to all the staff.

I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to the hotel for many more happy events in the future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked a cocktail party for one of our colleagues retirement, he has been with us for 16 years, hence the sweet 16. We had drinks on arrival, waitress served canapes, and music. We arrived early to check the room and add decoration etc. The staff and management were excellent, very helpful and extremely friendly, nothing was too much bother. The drinks were perfect and the canapes and waitress service could not be faulted. The in house disco played exactly the kind of music we wanted and altered the tempo as the night went on. Everyone really enjoyed the night, especially Bert would had retired, the manager had even given him a card from the Borough Arms, which we all thought was above and beyond with guest service. We will be going again and have also started thinking about the Works Christmas Party there, as we now know anything we ask for will not be too much trouble. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank zoozoo12
BoroughArmsHotel, Operations Manager at Borough Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I would like to thank you for choosing the Borough Arms hotel for your colleague's retirement cocktail party and for taking the time to write a review.

It's great to get positive feedback about the hotel, especially about our staff who go out of their way to make the business what it is and to hear that you think that the staff and management were excellent, very helpful and extremely friendly throughout helps us to know that we are doing the right things.

I am also glad that you found the welcome drinks to be perfect and that the canapes and waitress service could not be faulted.

Our resident DJ enusres he works closely with our customers to play exactly the kind of music wanted and i am glad he managed to meet your expectations.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for your Christmas Party if not before!
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently celebrated our daughters 18th birthday party at the Borough Arms Hotel, from the minute we enquired to the day of the party we had excellent service. The staff were very welcoming and could not do enough for you, the food was fantastic and all of our guest's made a point of coming upto us to say how lovely the food was. We had a fantastic night and Louise will have very happy memories of her 18th birthday. A big thank you to Mr Sheik, emma, phil and all the staff at the Borough, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Borough for any event or even a meal in the restaurant or bar , many , many thanks .

1 Thank Debsbaddeley
I would like to thank you for choosing the Borough Arms hotel for your daughter's 18th birthday party and for taking the time to compile a review.

I am delighted that you found all our staff very polite & helpful from your initial enquiry right through to the evening of the party and that the food was fantastic.

Personal recommendation is the highest form of praise and I will ensure that I pass on your kind words to all the staff involved in making Louise's birthday celebrations so memorable.
South West
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband & I took his parents to see Rod Stewart & as we live in Gloucestershire & would be too far to travel we booked this hotel to stay overnight. I must agree I do think the outside doesn't look too appealing when you arrive but from the minute we walked through the door the receptionist was very friendly and check in was a quick and easy process. We took our bags to our room which was huge, very comfortable & spotless. We went down to the bar to order some food before we headed to the concert, we were advised that there may be a slight delay with the food as they were catering for a wedding but I've waited a lot longer in other places without being advised & the food was delicious & brilliant value. We had a drink in the bar before going to bed after the concert & it was a lovely friendly atmosphere to enjoy a drink. Breakfast again was faultless, it was cooked to order when we arrived and myself & my husband & my in laws ate at different times even though we'd booked together & this was no trouble to the staff. All in all a lovely hotel & I would highly reccommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucandkag
May I firstly thank you for your recent stay at The Borough Arms hotel and for taking the time to compile a review.

We take pride in offering our guests an excellent service and an enjoyable stay and I am glad to hear that you had an extremely happy and comfortable stay with us.

I am happy to hear that your room was very comfortable and spotless, our housekeeping team take great pride in ensuring our rooms are all serviced well for our guests.

It is also nice to know that the food was delicious and brilliant value for money and that you found the bar to have a lovely, friendly atmosphere.

I hope you will be able to make use of our hospitality again in the future.
Durham
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I have had two visits to The Borough Arms Hotel once in May and the other at the beginning of June with friends this time to whom we recommended the hotel. Their son is an actor and was appearing at the New Vic Theatre in Newcastle and the Hotel is within walking distance which was a great advantage to us.
The 1st visit when we arrived and parked in the car park at the rear of the Hotel and used the rear entrance we were wondering if we had made the right choice as the exterior looked very shabby. However not to judge the book by it's cover we went in. The Receptionist was very welcoming we booked through Trivago with room only and breakfast if required was £5 extra. The Receptionist allocated us a room on the 2nd floor which was reached by a couple of narrow staircases and the room was not very nice. As I have a problem with my legs I knew for the 3 days we would be there I would struggle. My husband asked if we could be moved to a lower ground floor room and they were very obliging coming all the way upstairs and carried our luggage to the new room they were very kind and said to us to ask if we needed anything further. The new room was basic but really spotless everywhere. The pillows although there were 2 each were rather flat and we asked could we possibly have 2 more within 5 minutes they arrived which was really good! Right through our stay all the staff were lovely and great customer service always ready to chat to see how we were enjoying our stay. Good value for money!

The 2nd visit I booked direct to the hotel instead of going through Trivago i said this was our 2nd visit and they gave us the rooms at the same price but including breakfast this time within the price. This visit they put us in the annexe giving us and our friends rooms next to each other and no stairs to climb brilliant! The rooms were fine everything you needed and again spotlessly clean. We received great service and one of the Manager's recognised us from our last visit and thanked us for returning. Then it went downhill when we went in for breakfast the next morning. Breakfast is served during the week between 7 am to 9 am we went into the Restaurant at 8.45. One of our friends needed the bathroom so the three of us went ahead and he would follow. The waitress came up to us and rather abruptly said "there should be 4 of you" we explained that the other person would arrive in a few minutes. We were the only ones in the room and her attitude was a disgrace I think she thought she would be able to finish early until we arrived!! but all said and done we did arrive well before 9 am. She took our orders without a smile, thank you or eye contact. We asked for coffee and tea when she brought this to the table the coffee pot was small only enough for 2 people and as there were 3 of us having coffee I asked could we have another pot she said she would when we had finished the one on the table her attitude was nasty. We felt she was hovering over us willing us to finish we were hardly out of our seats to go and she started to clear the table in a rushed manor. Her attitude didn't get any better the following morning when she took our orders she was miserable, abrupt and made us feel very uncomfortable as if we were intruding. When we left we gave a thank you but she just ignored us. Such a shame when everyone else was great such a shame she let the side down. That is why I gave a 4 rating. Would stay again in the future I just hope the attitude in the Restaurant is addressed as I said everything else was fine..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank davpet

Positive and negative feedback is always welcomed as it helps us understand what we are doing well and the things we need to review and focus on.

I am really disappointed to hear that our usual high standards of customer service were not met during your breakfast service and I would like to assure you that the issues raised in your review have been addressed with the staff member concerned.

It is however good to know that this was an isolated event and throughout your stay all the remaining members of staff and management were lovely, provided great customer service and were always ready to chat to see how you were enjoying your stay.

I am also glad to hear that all your rooms were spotlessly clean as this is something our housekeeping team take great pride in.

I do hope i have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another stay in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Newcastle-under-Lyme Central
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham

Been to Borough Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!