“Looks nice on arrival”

Clayton Lodge Hotel
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We booked hotel in advance as it was fairly close to Alton towers and sounded nice, on arrival the hotel seemed quite nice.
When we entered our room it was freezing the window had been left open, even when closed it was very drafty! The window was Broken so couldn't close properly!
We asked to move but unfortunately they were fully booked so was given a portable heater.
The carpets were discussing covered in stains!!
Also in the morning when having breakfast I went to pick up a pastry and about 10 fly flew off put me off having any breakfast!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Having stayed at this hotel a few years ago and having no problems, I thought that it must have deteriorated, but it was a last minute booking and closest to where we needed to be. We were pleasantly surprised to find attentive and friendly reception staff, a very nice room and bathroom, maybe needs a little T.L.C in the corners, but otherwise good, bed really comfy. There was plenty of choice at breakfast, lovely fresh bread for toast, not stale as previous reviewers said, but please cook the sausages properly, they were rather anaemic and stronger coffee please. We will definitely use this hotel again when we are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JaneConwy
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We booked here from Canada for 6 nights. We travel a lot and there are certain things we require in any hotel. They are: free, safe parking; breakfast; free WiFi; This hotel advertised that all these were available.

The hotel itself is tired and a bit shabby - but our room was clean and fresh towels were supplied every day. The breakfast is self-serve and caters to every taste (full English and continental) - and as much as you want. There was plenty of off-road parking and we could park the car in such a way that we could see it from the room.

The WiFi, which was supposed to available in every room - was not. I had to go to the lobby to access my email. When I questioned a manager about this I was told that there was a problem with the internet connection but they weren't able to get anyone out to look at it on a weekend. We arrived on a Tuesday - and it never worked in our room the whole time we were there.

On one day, we returned to our room at around 5:00 p.m. (after being out all day) - only to find that our room had not been made up. When I called reception to tell them- I was told that "they were very busy", but they could send someone up to do it within the next hour. Since we were tired after being out all day - this wasn't acceptable to us. We were offered a free drink in the bar. Fair enough - they were busy. But as a hotel, the only thing you have to offer guests is a made up, cleaned room - so I don't think any excuse is worthy when a room is prepared by late afternoon.

I probably would stay here again simply due to the location which is convenient for us when we visit family (we live in Canada), and the price is reasonable. But if you are a business person and rely on an internet connection - you might want to think about someplace else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We booked this over night stay for a friends wedding, 1 double room & 2 triple rooms, when we arrived the reception area was a mess and the surly teenagers at the desk didn't seem to have a clue what was going on. the third beds in the "triple" rooms were roll away beds with wafer thin mattresses that creaked every time you breathed, the "bed" was placed in front of the TV cabinet meaning we could not get to the tea & coffee facilities very easily and once we did we found there to be no kettle just cups and the makings of tea & coffee, we could not get hold of reception but found an open laundry cupboard on the corridor which had a spare kettle in. To top things off there was one towel in the room for 3 people and the water was stone cold, in all 3 rooms. one of our party went to reception to ask about this but still nothing was done about it. Breakfast was OK however it was all cheap tinned food or out of packets nothing fresh, even the bread was steal and the toaster was a joke. there was nobody to show us to a table or what to do with the buffet style breakfast, there was not even a table big enough for our group we ended up moving the furniture around so that we could sit together. over all a bad experience & staff that juts don't seem to care! we will not be returning!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I think my pictures says it all ,me and my partner was at this hotel on 20/09/13 and will not be staying again,the room was DIRTY the only thing that was clean was the bed,i felt dirty just being
in the room,there was a mix up in our room we did not get what we had booked,i wouldn't say the staff were that friendly either,i went down to reception at midnight and couldn't find anyone there was a note on the desk asking to ring a mobile number only to ring twice and no one answered
which i thought was odd,only thing i can say was great at this hotel was the breakfast staff and the breakfast itself but the reception and rooms have really let the rest down,the building we stayed in looked like an old war bunker with very old windows which i felt like they were bit of a health and safety hazard same with the room

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stay in this area a few times a year but have only stayed at this hotel once before and quite enjoyed it, when it was a ramada hotel. Since it has changed hands it seems to have gone downhill. The guy on reception, Simon I think, was very pleasant on arrival but every other member of staff we encountered could barely make eye contact let alone smile. It looks like the only thing they seem to bother with is the on site Indian restaurant. There was loads of boxes and bags of stuff all around the reception desk, a complete eyesore.

We booked the suite as it was very reasonable, £70 B&B. Its a huge room with a big bay window and lots of big armchairs, big TV and huge bed. The cream/yellow carpet is quite dirty and stained and the windows are very old and in need of repair. Cobwebs in the bedroom and bathroom need attention. The bathroom really lets the room down, it's very small and dark and for a 'Suite' I expected better. The extractor fan is disgusting and clogged with dust, the spotlight was hanging out of the ceiling and the shower thermostat was seized on the hottest setting. There is no hotel information in the room, the folder in the room contained a menu for the Indian restaurant and nothing else. I had to phone reception and ask what time breakfast was served and what time checkout was.

Breakfast was poor, there was no staff around so we waited by the door for 5 mins then just wandered in and found a seat ourselves. Everything was served buffet style, I didn't have the full English but my boyfriend said it was 'alright'. The toaster didn't work properly so one side of the bread was cooked and one was still soft bread! The pastries had quite obviously come out of a packet and were certainly not cooked fresh, probably one of the worst breakfast selections I've had in a hotel.

This place is cheap and shabby, I'd sooner stay at a premier inn or travelodge where I'm sure the staff would at least acknowledge you.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoodyHorse
Reviewed 20 September 2013

It was great how close this hotel was to Junction 15 of the M6 as I could get straight off the road and into a really great, relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The staff were wonderful and really chatty, they made me feel very welcome after such a long trip and the room was just what I was looking for. It was a hot night but the bed was comfortable and the 24 hour room was speedy, delicious and also very useful as I arrived late with no time for dinner. I will definitely be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House

Been to Clayton Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!