“Don't bother”

Clayton Lodge Hotel
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Clearly the web site is fictional , the rooms very dated and not as seen on web far from it very unclean stains on sheets , tap plug unable to unplug , battered and chipped furniture , heavy mould around windows , as a asthma sufferer not good , mould in bathroom . For our deluxe room no tea or coffee making as stated . Breakfast facility's terrible , mostly I think it's due to being under staffed , staff that are there look so tired I felt sorry for them well the ones that seemed to work , there was one member of staff on arrival who had only been there short time who was very friendly :) . I must say thou the restaurant kavi was good quality food . Only comment on that should have more then one in charge as when asking for ( drink , bill, etc) they all had to run it by the manager who was everywhere , in all fairness doing a good job , but why have all your staff and not delicate . Over all be very carefull when looking on website as all is most definitely not as it seems . It needs good clean up all around , lick of paint and better standards all round & that's just to start with . Sorry , but very true .

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Hotel is very run down and clearly not had any investment in years. The room was small with heavily stained carpet , a broken light in the bathroom. And badly chipped and scratched furniture. The Windows were old metal double glazing that rattled when it was windy. Bedding was clean though. Breakfast was cold this morning, but tea and coffee were nice and hot. The hotel is an old Ramada hotel wwhich is evident by some of the internal signs with stick labels over them. Overall its very run down and needs some investment.

• Stayed January 2014
Wirral
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked a last minute single room including breakfast at the great national newcastle hotel. The hotel is large and welcoming with lots of free parking. The room was modern, comfortable, ensuite with hot drink facilities, free wifi and a large flat screen tv. For the low price i paid i was extremely impressed. I had a great night sleep and in the morning i had a lovely full english breakfast with fresh orange. I could not fault a thing. I would definitely recommend and if i am ever in the area again- i would not hesitate to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We recently had to stay in Newcastle Under Lyme for one night and wanted somewhere that was easy to get too and which with Christmas just around the corner wasn't going to be too expensive - the Great National seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

The rooms were clean and tidy but rather warm - not the worst problem in the middle of December when it's cold and miserable outside but none the less, it would have been nice to be able to turn the heating down a notch or two.

The bed was comfortable and gave us one of the best nights sleep we've had in a hotel for a long time.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the hotel was when you consider how much (or how little - actually!) we paid for a double room and breakfast the next day - I doubt you could get a second rate pokey little B&B in Blackpool for the price paid.

OK, it's not The Ritz or anything swish but it did have a pleasant bar area (although no Bailey's for the missus!), the breakfast was well cooked and the staff were very attentive - as I said, quite good value for the money.

Would I stay there again? The honest answer is yes, if I had to - let's face it, Newcastle-Under-Lyme is not exactly a tourist destination is it! But if I was to need a night or two's accommodation in the town and could get a similar price again then yes I would.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Where to start.....
We booked for New Year's Eve family party night & a nights stay with friends.
When we arrived we were still asking for the price of the buffet which had still not be decided 4 hours before nye & after checking into room which was a family room (double bed & a camp bed) we were at the far point of the hotel with 2 children (4 years & 5 weeks ) with no lift (nighmare going to & from the room on the stairs with a pram, only good thing about the room was the comfy double bed, window just slid open & a sheer drop (not child friendly) )nye party was good, apart from 10 minutes before midnight the disco went off everyone went outside for fireworks (with very small children in freezing, raining weather we decided to stay inside) the events organiser really should if thought it through ie seeing in the new year inside & the option if then going outside....
We made the most of the night however when we returned to our Very very cold room (we rang off our own phone as phone in the room did not work) we spoke to reception and they informed us the heating would be turned back on. Why in the first place was it turned off we wondered with a 5 week old baby it was far to cold and spent the night worrying if our children were warm enough & checking on them as it took hours to warm up. On checking out we asked to speak to management which there were none around and the man reception( which from all the staff was most helpful & we had our room discounted) he had been called in at 5am as the reception girl had quit (I'm not surprised) never stayed in such a poorly ran hotel I'm not one to complain as we try to make the most of any family outting but this hotel needs to seriously look at the way it is ran...
Also I've recently found out our friends were changed twice for hotel room (which I've read on hear is not the first time it has happened)
One positive thing about the hotel was the room where the nye was held lovely room shame about the hotel...

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Twinkerbell123
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Booked the Great National for our works Christmas party, all inclusive drinks (thought there must be some catch but there wasn't!) The d.j. was fab, playing an excellent mix of new & old songs/party songs/christmas songs we were up dancing all night, the food and service were great, will definitely go back next year! Added bonus was that it was within staggering distance from home so didn't even have to pay for a taxi!

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight so can't comment