“I'd rather sleep in the car”

Clayton Lodge Hotel
London
“I'd rather sleep in the car”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Truly awful hotel. Receptionist (as others have noted) was not very...receptive. It took significant effort (and most of my best one-liners) to get a smile out of her. Although she may have just had wind.

First room we were given, the key didn't work and the door just sat there beeping incessantly. Had to walk all the way back to get the receptionist to come and open it (I think she used black magic). However the room was awful - if there'd been a chalk outline of a body I wouldn't have been surprised. Someone had spilt a bottle of nail polish on the floor and then stepped through it. In the end we had to move rooms as the radiator was on full blast and the staff said there was no way to turn it down.

Second room was better but on the main corridor with a door so thin I could have strained tea leaves through it.

I know people say 'you get what you pay for' and for £52 for the night inc breakfast it wasn't expensive - but I'd still expect the place to be better than this.

One to avoid unless the alternative is sleeping rough (and it's a close call by the way).

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Zippy_69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions... Like the other reviews it certainly isn't the Ritz but acceptable to me for the rooms etc and the food isn't too bad.
The very important thing id like to highlight is the hotels payment process. Upon arrival they take a pre-authorisation off a credit/debit card which is standard practise in most hotels. The only thing is this money comes off your account instantly. To me that means it's payed. Had a big issue with this but that wasn't the main problem. I stayed an extra night and payed in cash on the morning. That evening I noticed an unauthorised payment of £44 had been taken from my account. (I HADN'T EVEN USED MY CARD FOR £44) after about 30 mins I was refunded. OK a mistake was made and accepted that. I left the hotel on the Saturday morning. On the Tuesday I then noticed a further £44 had been deducted from my account, again WITHOUT AUTHORISATION. Enraged I called all that day to speak to a manager only to be constantly palmed off by reception. I sent emails with attached receipts and even exerts from my bank account showing there incompetence. I still got no correspondence from this. It took for me to go away out of my way to go in personally and within 10 mins they accepted there mistake again. If I where you id keep an eye on your bank statement as it's probably happened several times without folk realising. I know for sure I will never be staying here again. BE VIGILANT!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Pedros67

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle-under-Lyme hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked this hotel on the strength of some recent reviews I had read. We only stayed one night, I wouldn't return.
Although it did offer good value for money (£52 for a family room for 3 including breakfast) the hotel was dirty and run down. The cleanliness in the rooms left a lot to be desired- stained carpets, marks and stains on the walls, dirty old mouldy bathroom fittings and generally very dusty.
The hotel is large, semi modern and well located.
All of the general areas such as the reception and lobby were grubby and the landings and corridors were creaky and unkempt.
The breakfast was standard- again a good selection for a budget hotel price.
There is an Indian restaurant next door. We had drinks but then left after deciding not to eat. We found the prices to be very expensive and the menu didn't have the typical dishes you would expect of a general Indian restaurant.
I can't make any comment on the staff as apart from the reception check in, we didn't encounter any other staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Seasider2920
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here last week for 1 night. We had a family room. We were welcomed by two very friendly girls on reception. Our room and the hotel were spotlessly clean and the beds were so comfy. Tea and coffee facilities were available in our room plus complimentary toiletries.
Although clean and comfortable the hotel is in need of a little updating in places. Cracked tiles,Stains on carpets,chipped furniture etc.
We had breakfast included which was buffet style but had a very varied selection . There was something there to suit everyone both hot and cold choices and again everything spotlessly clean.
We would definitely stay here again.
We also ate in the Indian Restaurant next door . We were given a voucher to use from the Hotel. The meal was fantastic.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night when checking in the blonde girl on reception didnt really give me and my husband a warm welcome not even a smile. We went down to breakfast in the morning and the young chap was very polite and helpful very quick as people left he arranged the tables for the next person very smiley lad. Overall my stay was lovely the rooms where very clean and the beds were comfy!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank amandahall12
Preston
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times .... Rooms are of a decent standard some being a very good standard.... My latest visit was poor from reception blonde girl really not a receptionist and could never be mistaken for one... The only real issue I had was the notice next to the bathroom sink 'this water is not for drinking' . Making a brew in a morning is therefore difficult.... Though I wonder in 2014 why a tap in Stoke cannot deliver water suitable for consumption is not possible? .... Alas if the water isn't suitable then bottled water should surely be offered? I will stop here again... I'll just bring some water to drink and to make tea.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the great national only one night and was pleasantly surprised. Having just been refurbished It looks lovely but needs finishing touches.

On arrival the receptionist was rather grumpy and could of used a smile. Barely audible as she mumbled our welcome. Our twin rooms were clean and tidy and very well presented. We had two rooms, neither equipped with the same things. One room had a fully made tea and coffe tray the other missing a kettle. On room had four towels the other only two. However I found this the only fault. The beds themselves large singles were comfy with two plump pillows. The TV worked and a great size. The bathrooms looked lovely and a good powerful shower. There was even a large wardrobe. We had a continental breakfast in a bright and clean dining room. With a vast array of foods and quick service from the wait staff. Despite the squeaky floors throughout the hotel our stay was pleasant.

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burslem

Been to Clayton Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!