“Can't Fault”

Clayton Lodge Hotel
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked this hotel last minute when we decided to stay closer to Alton Towers.
We arrived about 1.30am on a saturday morning, and the night porter was there before i even had a chance to call him.

The room was perfectly ample for the price, comfortable bed and awesome shower! yes, there may have been some marks on the wall from carelessness when moving furniture - but realistically let's face it - how does this actually affect your stay?
Breakfast was really good - massive fry up - what better way to start the day :)

I also managed to do the typical travellers error and forget toothpaste - asked the guy on reception if we could get some and he said he would send it up... I then got a call from the nearby petrol station where someone had gone totally out of their way to go and BUY some for us, asking if we needed toothbrushes,too. Talk about going beyond the call of duty!

I paid £39 for a double room including breakfast. I genuinely cannot complain. Staff were polite, sheets were clean, breakfast was great and we were half an hour away from Alton Towers.

I am a true believer in 'you get what you pay for' so didnt have massive expectations like most seem to have - but i was certainly not disappointed. Would stay again and most likely will.

Room Tip: I had room 8
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Truly awful hotel. Receptionist (as others have noted) was not very...receptive. It took significant effort (and most of my best one-liners) to get a smile out of her. Although she may have just had wind.

First room we were given, the key didn't work and the door just sat there beeping incessantly. Had to walk all the way back to get the receptionist to come and open it (I think she used black magic). However the room was awful - if there'd been a chalk outline of a body I wouldn't have been surprised. Someone had spilt a bottle of nail polish on the floor and then stepped through it. In the end we had to move rooms as the radiator was on full blast and the staff said there was no way to turn it down.

Second room was better but on the main corridor with a door so thin I could have strained tea leaves through it.

I know people say 'you get what you pay for' and for £52 for the night inc breakfast it wasn't expensive - but I'd still expect the place to be better than this.

One to avoid unless the alternative is sleeping rough (and it's a close call by the way).

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Zippy_69
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions... Like the other reviews it certainly isn't the Ritz but acceptable to me for the rooms etc and the food isn't too bad.
The very important thing id like to highlight is the hotels payment process. Upon arrival they take a pre-authorisation off a credit/debit card which is standard practise in most hotels. The only thing is this money comes off your account instantly. To me that means it's payed. Had a big issue with this but that wasn't the main problem. I stayed an extra night and payed in cash on the morning. That evening I noticed an unauthorised payment of £44 had been taken from my account. (I HADN'T EVEN USED MY CARD FOR £44) after about 30 mins I was refunded. OK a mistake was made and accepted that. I left the hotel on the Saturday morning. On the Tuesday I then noticed a further £44 had been deducted from my account, again WITHOUT AUTHORISATION. Enraged I called all that day to speak to a manager only to be constantly palmed off by reception. I sent emails with attached receipts and even exerts from my bank account showing there incompetence. I still got no correspondence from this. It took for me to go away out of my way to go in personally and within 10 mins they accepted there mistake again. If I where you id keep an eye on your bank statement as it's probably happened several times without folk realising. I know for sure I will never be staying here again. BE VIGILANT!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Pedros67
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked this hotel on the strength of some recent reviews I had read. We only stayed one night, I wouldn't return.
Although it did offer good value for money (£52 for a family room for 3 including breakfast) the hotel was dirty and run down. The cleanliness in the rooms left a lot to be desired- stained carpets, marks and stains on the walls, dirty old mouldy bathroom fittings and generally very dusty.
The hotel is large, semi modern and well located.
All of the general areas such as the reception and lobby were grubby and the landings and corridors were creaky and unkempt.
The breakfast was standard- again a good selection for a budget hotel price.
There is an Indian restaurant next door. We had drinks but then left after deciding not to eat. We found the prices to be very expensive and the menu didn't have the typical dishes you would expect of a general Indian restaurant.
I can't make any comment on the staff as apart from the reception check in, we didn't encounter any other staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Seasider2920
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here last week for 1 night. We had a family room. We were welcomed by two very friendly girls on reception. Our room and the hotel were spotlessly clean and the beds were so comfy. Tea and coffee facilities were available in our room plus complimentary toiletries.
Although clean and comfortable the hotel is in need of a little updating in places. Cracked tiles,Stains on carpets,chipped furniture etc.
We had breakfast included which was buffet style but had a very varied selection . There was something there to suit everyone both hot and cold choices and again everything spotlessly clean.
We would definitely stay here again.
We also ate in the Indian Restaurant next door . We were given a voucher to use from the Hotel. The meal was fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night when checking in the blonde girl on reception didnt really give me and my husband a warm welcome not even a smile. We went down to breakfast in the morning and the young chap was very polite and helpful very quick as people left he arranged the tables for the next person very smiley lad. Overall my stay was lovely the rooms where very clean and the beds were comfy!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank amandahall12
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times .... Rooms are of a decent standard some being a very good standard.... My latest visit was poor from reception blonde girl really not a receptionist and could never be mistaken for one... The only real issue I had was the notice next to the bathroom sink 'this water is not for drinking' . Making a brew in a morning is therefore difficult.... Though I wonder in 2014 why a tap in Stoke cannot deliver water suitable for consumption is not possible? .... Alas if the water isn't suitable then bottled water should surely be offered? I will stop here again... I'll just bring some water to drink and to make tea.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House

Been to Clayton Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!