Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
“Was ok ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was ok.....I booked for a night as it was close to alton towers. Was please that the check in was 2 PM, reception staff were terrible! No meet and greet service, wasn't told about dinner services or breakfast... We were in a very good sized room, the bathrooms could do with new shower curtains and a real good clean, the windows had black mold on...could be easily sorted. We stayed on a Wednesday night, needed to mention that so this hotel could maybe sort it's staff out apart from the gentleman that was brilliant at breakfast on the Thursday morning.... He deserves commending! Thank you for great service, this guy should be front of house, meet and greet with a hand shake and information and some dissent house keepers!
We ate at the local pub down the road, which was nice and good value.
I wouldnt stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gillian H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Stoke-on-Trent, U.K.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked this hotel and then read the reviews. Some were very worrying however I decided to contact the Hotel before my guest stayed there. Emma, The Duty Manager was told quite clearly of my concerns and, to put it bluntly, acted very professionally in trying to reassure me. The room was clean, comfortable but perhaps needed updating. The staff were friendly and pleasant and tried their best to make the stay as pleasant as possible. Breakfast was fine with one proviso - one does not expect to have a large bowl of instant coffee, plus a spoon and water, at a hotel breakfast. Perhaps it would be prudent of them to invest in a coffee machoine. Having said that, the food in the breakfast was very good. In perspective, it gave good value for money. I am not sure what people expect for the price but please do not be put off. Parking was excellent, and I would use again.

Room Tip: Liaise with the hotel to tell them of your requirements.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JGS_8
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

stayed here 2 nights 6/7th June 2014, staff friendly and ever so helpfull, bedroom nice size, adequate storage but rattlelly window which i had to wedge and shabby curtains BUT for a fab nights sleep in a cosy bed and fluffy pillows, warm duvet you cant go wrong. Bathroom nicely tiled with pipping hot water and 24 hour hot towel rail, BUT a shabby finish lets it down.Buffet style full range of english and continental breakfast was ok not the best in the world but no where near the worst, would i stay here again??? YES Yes i would.

Room Tip: maybe worth checking room over before you settle
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geoff505
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel last week and could not believe the smell when we first walked in the room,the carpets were stained,bath had hairs in it,and the mattress was heavily stained also,i was embarrased to take my wife,after a day at the races our night was ruined,never again !!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

After reading the reviews on here I was very nervous about staying at the hotel. I had read all the tips and advice and I am glad I did. My friend had booked the hotel and one of the comments I'd read was 'made us pay twice' luckily we went armed with invoice and the knowledge we had defiantly paid as when we arrived at reception as others had mentioned they did try and make us pay twice. After showing the evidence the receptionist said ok I will look into it and we went off to our room. Room was lovely and spacious and had everything we needed although was a bit of a maze finding it. Didn't buy a drink from the bar but looked well presented. After a night out when we arrived back we were greeted with a locked door and a notice to phone the porter although this seemed odd the porter explained it was for security which is understandable. Beds very comfy. The next day we had breakfast included the staff didn't seem to know what they were doing but I can not fault the breakfast, had everything we wanted, lovely! Additionally I was impressed by the free Wifi which was quick. Overall this was an ok hotel for the price paid and I would stay here again if ever I am in the area I will just remember to get evidence of payment! When we checked out a different (friendlier) member of staff did apologise and notified us they'd found the payment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Natd129
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and stayed originally in room 51.
The room was great for what we paid for. £47 for a double. The only problem was it was very hot and we had a toilet that took forever to flush.
Talked to reception and they put us in room 5.
It had everything we needed. Showers are good. Beds are comfy.
I believe you get what you pay for. We paid for a basic hotel and we got that. That isn't a bad thing.
Agree with somethings I have read. Views aren't great. Couple stains on the carpet but then again for the price we paid that was fine by us.
Staff are extremely helpful. Especially the gentleman who worked in the bar. Always helping and a great ambassador for customer service.
I don't think I would stay here again and wouldn't recommend it for a stay for too long.
If you want somewhere that is good value for me then this will be fine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jayrimmer
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Booked my room though booking.com as I had to visit Newcastle-under-Lyme for an interview.
An hour before I arrived, I got a phone call from the hotel and was told there was a problem with my booking and there was no room for me available after all.
I was quite upset as I was not visiting Newcastle for a day out, but for a professional interview and I was told that I could book a room in a different hotel which was a)more expensive and b)further away, which meant I would need a taxi to go to my interview and return.
The member of staff on the phone said that they would call me on the following day to discuss the situation, but I did not receive a phone call from them. Unacceptable and very disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Penelope V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!