“Avoid like the plague” 2 of 5 bubbles

Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
midlands
“Avoid like the plague”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for one night to attend the Rod Stewart concert . In all fairness it was a last resort as I had stayed here a few years ago for a wedding. The rooms were booked online on 10th January 2014 and a deposit paid. When we arrived there was no one on reception and were informed by an irate guest that she was in the bar and was on her own. One guest actually went behind the reception desk and answered the ever ringing phone and told the caller the hotel was full and then put the phone down. Around 20 minutes later someone called Frankie arrived(she was the only asset the hotel had) and told us there were no rooms booked in our name. I proceeded to show the paperwork and by this time she was answering the phone to I can only presume to be the person to whom the other guest had spoken to so rudely. The way she handled the whole situation was a credit to her and no thanks to the hotel management. We did manage to get a room but it was one that had been allocated to someone who hadn't yet arrived. We just had time to throw our things into the room before the taxi picked us up and were half expecting someone else to be in there on our return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 44west

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked this hotel about 3-4 months ago and paid a deposit as we were going to a concert in the area. We were approximately 5 minutes away from arriving when we received a phone call to say they had over booked and had found us a room elsewhere. Firstly the room elsewhere was 10 miles away and secondly upon arrival to that hotel they had booked us into a single room!! That hotel then kindly found us another one which we had to travel further to which was a double. It took Great National until 6. 20 p.m. to call to tell us they had over booked but were quite happy keeping our deposit. I therefore called back to complain and was advised to call back the following day whereby we would be reimbursed for the extra cost of the new hotel we had to stay in and the taxi fayres to and from the stadium because we were quite away from the stadium whereas if we had stayed in this hotel initially we would not have had that cost.

The following morning we go there to be arrived by a receptionist who was not professional at all, she swore and basically had no clue what was going on. Numerous people checking out were making complaints also about the room, food and general service.

It was not the receptionists fault as clearly the hotel was under staffed, however, she could have handled the situation better. She called both managers numerous times as I wanted to speak to somebody higher than the receptionist, however, there was no answer!!

I do not know of any hotel that is fully booked out and one has two members of staff in with no manager.

I was therefore advised to fill out a complaint form and surprise surprise there was no photocopier to take a copy for my own records.

I was then advised to email over the receipts for the hotel we ended up staying in and taxi receipts and the manager would call me this morning ...... still waiting and have called the hotel up numerous times now to receive no answer. The number simply rings out!!!

If the hotel would have handled the situation better and apologised for having to transfer us and reimbursed us for the extra cost, travel etc then I would have had no problem but the fact that they all seem extremely unprofessional and have no manners is astounding!!

I have never experienced anything like it in my life.

Definitely would not book here again or recommend to anybody in the future.

Seems to me that not only is the service really bad, the rooms are dirty with no proper running water to get a wash and the staff sneeze all over the food in any event (these were just a couple of the complaints I heard whilst waiting for 40 minutes for my complaint to be sorted!!!)

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lolipop177
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

stay here, if however, you are looking for a hotel that makes a guest feel welcome I strongly urge you to drive past.
We stayed there for one night, the hotel was fully booked yet the management decided that one member of staff would suffice (we heard rumours that there was actually 2 but never saw any evidence to confirm this)
Guests in the bar watching early evening world cup football had to go to reception to ask for drinks and the receptionist could only leave her post after sorting out guests who had checked in - I would like to have been able to report 'welcoming' guests who were checking in but this would have been inaccurate to say the least.
A phone call to our room on the moring of check out from a very bored sounding (but different) receptionist to hurry us up as the cleaner needed to get in then being told the computer system is useless so we couldn't have a printed receipt and e mail is no better didn't exactly have us rushing to make a return reservation.
Sorry Great National but to aspire to 'Great' you need to put a lot more effort in.
2 Guests who most certainly making a return visit

2 Thank JayW1409
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst attending the Rod Stuart concert.
The hotel don't look very inviting at first , but reception was nice.
Our rm was a twin room, the walls could do with a lick of paint and could do with new carpets as there is stains on the carpet (well ours anyway in places) , I kept my shoes on!, the bathroom could prob do with a regrout and new bath panel.but it was all clean.
The beds were comfortable and most importantly , nice white clean sheets , yes the windows aren't the best either.but you get what you pay for and this hotel is quite cheap.the only thing that wasn't good was the poor girl in the dinning rm getting upset and rushing around cause she was on her own! They need more staff!!
Apart from these things mentioned , a cheap nights stay .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola R
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was ok.....I booked for a night as it was close to alton towers. Was please that the check in was 2 PM, reception staff were terrible! No meet and greet service, wasn't told about dinner services or breakfast... We were in a very good sized room, the bathrooms could do with new shower curtains and a real good clean, the windows had black mold on...could be easily sorted. We stayed on a Wednesday night, needed to mention that so this hotel could maybe sort it's staff out apart from the gentleman that was brilliant at breakfast on the Thursday morning.... He deserves commending! Thank you for great service, this guy should be front of house, meet and greet with a hand shake and information and some dissent house keepers!
We ate at the local pub down the road, which was nice and good value.
I wouldnt stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gillian H
Stoke-on-Trent, U.K.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked this hotel and then read the reviews. Some were very worrying however I decided to contact the Hotel before my guest stayed there. Emma, The Duty Manager was told quite clearly of my concerns and, to put it bluntly, acted very professionally in trying to reassure me. The room was clean, comfortable but perhaps needed updating. The staff were friendly and pleasant and tried their best to make the stay as pleasant as possible. Breakfast was fine with one proviso - one does not expect to have a large bowl of instant coffee, plus a spoon and water, at a hotel breakfast. Perhaps it would be prudent of them to invest in a coffee machoine. Having said that, the food in the breakfast was very good. In perspective, it gave good value for money. I am not sure what people expect for the price but please do not be put off. Parking was excellent, and I would use again.

Room Tip: Liaise with the hotel to tell them of your requirements.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JGS_8
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

stayed here 2 nights 6/7th June 2014, staff friendly and ever so helpfull, bedroom nice size, adequate storage but rattlelly window which i had to wedge and shabby curtains BUT for a fab nights sleep in a cosy bed and fluffy pillows, warm duvet you cant go wrong. Bathroom nicely tiled with pipping hot water and 24 hour hot towel rail, BUT a shabby finish lets it down.Buffet style full range of english and continental breakfast was ok not the best in the world but no where near the worst, would i stay here again??? YES Yes i would.

Room Tip: maybe worth checking room over before you settle
1 Thank geoff505
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!