“Don't stay here.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
Durham
“Don't stay here.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Really irritating and frustrating stay- wifi is advertised but does not work. Hotel has no lift, so I had to carry my suitcases up 2 flights of stairs with staff not even offering to help. The rooms upstairs are stiflingly hot, with no air conditioning. I asked repeatedly for a fan but it was not brought. Everyday my hotel room key didn't work so I would have to traipse all the way back down to get it fixed, no apology just 'yeah it happens all the time.' Room is very dated, carpet needs changing and the whole thing just needs to be modernised. Overall would not stay here again, which is a shame because it has the potential to be really nice but bad attitudes and laziness ruin it.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

room was untidy to start but put that aside but then got into bed with ny partner and found a condom went straight down to reception who couldnt understabd anyfing at all we said. had to then change our own bedding after arguing about going home or staying then waiting still after the 3rd day for a fone call back to resolve this situation and nobody or no form off manager is doing anything about it. rooms obviously dont get cleaned at all absolutely fumin why would thete be a condom in our room if it got cleaned daily service is absolutely terrible

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank abuckley1
Great Missenden, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently stayed here for 1 night, as my boyfriend took me to Alton Towers for my birthday weekend. We picked the hotel because it was a good price, and not too far from the attraction. We arrived at the hotel, checked in fine, and headed to our room. The room was as we expected from viewing the images when we originally booked the hotel, the bed was huge and so comfy. At the end of the day, the room could do with a lick of paint, and some modern furniture, but the room has a good size tv, kettle and hot drinks, a long length mirror, and a massive wardrobe. The bathroom was probably the nicest part of the room.

The reception ladies that were on the desk when we arrived were quite young, but they were welcoming and we went back to ask about local taxi companies as we wanted to go into town for Dinner.

We had breakfast the next morning which had a good selection from cooked breakfast (bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, mushrooms etc.) and cereals, fruit and pastries. The ladies who were greeting people were really lovely and welcoming and got us a hot drink straight away.

I would recommend this hotel for short stays, if you are looking for something affordable and you are not bothered about having a really modern room, and expensive looking hotel then stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlotte W
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed for 1 night on business. I paid under £60 for teh room inc breakfast so this review has to ber in mind that this is cheap!
I thought the hotel was OK - a bit of an eclectic mix of old school (1970's) decor and some modern ideas which mostly didn't really work. Overall hotel is tired - 1970's double glazed windows for example are a bit of an eye-sore but would cost a firtune to replace and then the room price would go up.Reception was manned by one trainee and one manager so all went easily enough. Room was reasonable but all a bit dated - standard double bed (hard), rubbish pillows, old and thin towels etc but did have a kettle. It was warm so I had the windows open all night which did mean it was quite noisy from the road outside.
It being World Cup I went to the bar and ate whilst watching the match - nice bar but a bit unusual to have just armchairs and sofas in a bar....interestingly decorated and on this occasion I thought it did work! Bar menu limited but I didn't see any plates go back that were not empty so the general concensus must be that teh food was OK. My gammon was OK with a fresh slice of pineapple which had been grilled (very nice) but frozen chips and forzen peas! Not sure why hotels can't actually peel and cut potatoes for chips???
As i said the bed was just about passable but the pillows were old lumpy foam ones and I found them very uncomfortable. Bathroom OK but dated.
Breakfast was disappointing. Freshly sliced pineapple and melon was nice but only the two options. Cooked breakfast would probably have been nice if it hadn't been sitting in the warming trays for the last hour. Bizzarely (or eclectively) you make your own tea/coffee/toast....not so odd but the instant coffee was poured into a large open bowl - I've travelled around the World and never seen that before!
Everywhere was clean and tidy.
All of the staff were approachable and polite

Summing up - good and everything worked but could be so much better but I guess the price would have to change! Would I go back? Yes, in fact I've booked in for next week.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NSNODickie
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went to this hotel in June of this year as i was attending a concert at Stoke City FC. The hotel staff very pleasant, bar clean, tidy and well run. Bedroom rather dated and tired no direct telephone line from room,should I have needed to contact reception in an emergency it wouldn't have been possible. Management didn't appear to be prepared for extra clients due to the concert eveen though people had pre booked!! 2 staff on in the breakfast room on a very quiet Saturday morning and only one on a full to the brim breakfast room on the Sunday

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandra J
midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for one night to attend the Rod Stewart concert . In all fairness it was a last resort as I had stayed here a few years ago for a wedding. The rooms were booked online on 10th January 2014 and a deposit paid. When we arrived there was no one on reception and were informed by an irate guest that she was in the bar and was on her own. One guest actually went behind the reception desk and answered the ever ringing phone and told the caller the hotel was full and then put the phone down. Around 20 minutes later someone called Frankie arrived(she was the only asset the hotel had) and told us there were no rooms booked in our name. I proceeded to show the paperwork and by this time she was answering the phone to I can only presume to be the person to whom the other guest had spoken to so rudely. The way she handled the whole situation was a credit to her and no thanks to the hotel management. We did manage to get a room but it was one that had been allocated to someone who hadn't yet arrived. We just had time to throw our things into the room before the taxi picked us up and were half expecting someone else to be in there on our return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 44west
Liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked this hotel about 3-4 months ago and paid a deposit as we were going to a concert in the area. We were approximately 5 minutes away from arriving when we received a phone call to say they had over booked and had found us a room elsewhere. Firstly the room elsewhere was 10 miles away and secondly upon arrival to that hotel they had booked us into a single room!! That hotel then kindly found us another one which we had to travel further to which was a double. It took Great National until 6. 20 p.m. to call to tell us they had over booked but were quite happy keeping our deposit. I therefore called back to complain and was advised to call back the following day whereby we would be reimbursed for the extra cost of the new hotel we had to stay in and the taxi fayres to and from the stadium because we were quite away from the stadium whereas if we had stayed in this hotel initially we would not have had that cost.

The following morning we go there to be arrived by a receptionist who was not professional at all, she swore and basically had no clue what was going on. Numerous people checking out were making complaints also about the room, food and general service.

It was not the receptionists fault as clearly the hotel was under staffed, however, she could have handled the situation better. She called both managers numerous times as I wanted to speak to somebody higher than the receptionist, however, there was no answer!!

I do not know of any hotel that is fully booked out and one has two members of staff in with no manager.

I was therefore advised to fill out a complaint form and surprise surprise there was no photocopier to take a copy for my own records.

I was then advised to email over the receipts for the hotel we ended up staying in and taxi receipts and the manager would call me this morning ...... still waiting and have called the hotel up numerous times now to receive no answer. The number simply rings out!!!

If the hotel would have handled the situation better and apologised for having to transfer us and reimbursed us for the extra cost, travel etc then I would have had no problem but the fact that they all seem extremely unprofessional and have no manners is astounding!!

I have never experienced anything like it in my life.

Definitely would not book here again or recommend to anybody in the future.

Seems to me that not only is the service really bad, the rooms are dirty with no proper running water to get a wash and the staff sneeze all over the food in any event (these were just a couple of the complaints I heard whilst waiting for 40 minutes for my complaint to be sorted!!!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lolipop177
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!