“When is a guaranteed booking not a guaranteed booking?” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel

Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
Bristol, United Kingdom
“When is a guaranteed booking not a guaranteed booking?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

When it's through booking . com & Great National Hotel Newcastle Under Lyme!!! I had the misfortune of making a booking with the Great National Stoke on Trent for a so called guaranteed price at the beginning of July; on arrival I was told the hotel was overbooked & no accommodation was available. The hotel made alternative arrangements with another local hotel (at more than twice the price of my booking). The management have so far steadfastly refused to talk to me about a refund on the price difference, despite repeated e-mails with proof of booking and invoice for the alternative hotel and phone calls where I have spoken with 3 or 4 different reception staff. A very poor display of customer service. I wonder if it is hotel policy to over book establishments through third party booking sites in order to ensure maximum room capacity and then to ignore customers left out of pocket!!!!!! Anyone else been let down by this one????

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 59ChrisBell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I thought this hotel looked quite nice,then I stayed there. The food was terrible, breakfast was well layed out but thats about all they got right, the cooked breakfast was disgusting and the croissants and similar bits tasted like they had come from a cheap super market. The less said about the bar food the better. Staff weren't rude but they quite clearly didn't want to be there. The key cards were unreliable meaning that you could be stuck out your room for a long time trying to get it to work. The rooms got extremely hot and the Windows did not open very far, the tv signal would drop intermittently and the shower was overly hot and would not get any cooler. In short not worth it.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank bobby2789
Highley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this hotel in January for a 1 night stay in June after attending a Rod Stewart concert in Stoke. 1 week before the concert I confirmed with Booking.com that all was well with my booking, After a day in Stoke we were eating in a local pub when at 4pm I received a call from the hotel saying they had overbooked and there was no room for us. Frankie assured me that she had been able to book an alternative hotel in Stone and that the extra cost of the room, plus the taxi fare to the gig would be reimbursed to us. The extra travelling meant we would miss our pre-concert drinks with friends but given no alternative we agreed to the change, We then drove 20 minutes to Sone only to find the hotel closed for refurbishment. Frankie then told us she couldnt get us another room as they were all booked for the concert! Tell me something I didnt know, she then offered a room in Stafford which was much to far away, by now we were likely to miss th concert altogether. In the end my partner was able to locate a room in Stoke which was more expensive and so was the taxi, but we had little choice as we needed to shower and change. The Manager promised us recompense and a free room on another date and to contact him on the Monday. I tried all week to contact him to no avail he was always 'unavailable' and eventually I wrote to him requesting a response within 14 days. This is some time ago now and I have had no response. This is a very abridged version of events but in a nutshell they dont care less about their guests, double book in case of cancellations and last to check in doesnt get a room. I had a spoilt anniversary weekend, am considerably out of pocket and will NEVER attempt to risk booking this venue again. The Manager is a fraud and a liar, I felt sorry for the staff who are trying their best but thier hands are tied.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

For £50 or so what can anyone expect? The staff were polite enough, the hotel just seems to be run on a tight budget. Breakfast was low quality but there was a variety. Rooms were fine - tea and coffee, shampoo etc. Just a bit tatty but for a night or two who cares?

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt1980red A
Walsall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked in January for an overnight stay in June. Without doubt the worst hotel it has ever been my misfortune to stay in. After wainting 40 minutes in reception to check in (only one girl looking after bar and reception) we were told no rooms available. After producing booking they cancelled someone who had not arrived. Rooms dank and smelly. Breakfast inedible. Felt sorry for the girl on reception, obviously let down massively by incompetent management team and in fairness she was rushed off her feet and tried hard to help numerous disgruntled customers. Never again!!!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

You get what you pay for and we didn't pay much. Horrible uncomfortable bed, room far too hot and no way to cool it. The whole place creaks so you cannot move without annoying other people. The decor is so old and tatty, not to mention dirty. At least the sheets were fresh on the bed. I was ripped off by the booking agent that has misleading photos and reviews, should have checked TripAdvisor first. Will never stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Badly managed, and therefore disorganised and very dirty. The outside is scruffy, and the interior, scuffed, tired and filthy. It is hard to blame the staff when so evidently the fault lies with poor management, but those on reception were surly and the breakfast arrangements on Saturday morning were non-existent. As for the gastronomic delights of breakfast, words could not begin to describe the revolting array displayed in burning hot servers. The carpets in the two bedrooms we booked were very badly stained, as were the bed valances, and the rooms were squalid, as well as fiercely hot. We had booked for two nights, when busy some months ago, and without reading the reviews, in order to use it as a base to attend a party in the area. We shall be more careful in the future.

Room Tip: The entire hotel could not possibly have a room anyone sane would wish to occupy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank David R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke-On-Trent Hanley Moat House Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!