“Overall appreciation of effort and service”

Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Excellent stay but no recognition of loyalty or usual use. Due to short term booking, no reductions offerered.

Room Tip: Ground floor has disabled rooms

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed here for one night with three colleagues, as we were attending a conference at Keele University which is just a short drive away. The hotel service was good and the rooms were fine..... clean, comfy and quiet, what you'd normally expect from a Premier Inn. I've stayed at many P.I's and they 'do exactly as it says on the tin' and are always good value for money. However, what lets this one down vety badly is the 'Taybarns' restaurant ...... I use the word 'restaurant' very loosely as it's an insult to every genuine restaurant out there !! We ordered a drink at the bar and our biggest mistake was to pay for the 'buffet' at the same time before we had been in and looked at it. It's a one price, help youself to anything buffet so in theory it sounded pretty good ..... how wrong we were ! The first thing that hit us when we walked in was the dirty floor ...... it was covered in bits of food debris, dirty serviettes and dropped cutlery, the tables weren't any better and we had to ask a girl to clean one for us before we sat down. We tiptoed through the litter and found the plates,which , although 'clean' all had greasy looking smears on them, and needed to be wiped with a serviette before we could use them. The food had obviously been on display for a while and to put it politely was looking rather 'tired'. I was a bit wary of the rather unappealing soup and the un-fresh looking salad so gave the starter a miss. I opted for rice and curry, but it was dreadful.......... bordering between cool and tepid, watery, with lumps of rubbery tasteless chicken. I left it and tried the sweet and sour chicken which tasted just like the curry..... totally bland. Third time lucky , I thought, and tried the mushroom pasta, whch was even worse, stone cold and lumpy. My colleagues all had similar experiences with their choices so we admitted defeat and decided to move on to the desert. I chose apple pie and custard which again was cold and had pastry the texture of a paving slab. Again, I left it and moved on to a bit of chocolate cake, which must have been sat there for hours as it had totally dried out. I notce that one reviewer had called it a 'trough' and I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't call it a restaurant, more like a grubby cafeteria with food on a par with 1960's school dinners. It was the first time I've eaten in a 'Taybarns' and it's definitely the last. If you're thinking of staying here, the hotel's fine, but don't waste £8.99 on the food, bring a sandwich instead. We didn't want to risk the breakfast so we found a 'Morrisons' just down the road and had a lovely breakfast for just a few quid in their very clean and pleasant cafe. Would stay here again but wouldn't touch the food.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you for your comments regarding the adjoining restaurant, we will ensure that your feedback is passed to the management at the hotel.

Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

The staff were welcoming and the room was average. What distracts from this hotel is their restaurant. It was very busy as the have a "all you can eat" buffet.The patrons were pushy and rude they piled their plates so high you thought they were eating for a week. Staff had problems keeping up to clearing the mess they made - absolutely no manners. I would not eat there again. However, the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: It would bepreferable to get one not facing the road. Also try and find an alternative for dinner if...
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you experienced in the restaurant. Your comments regarding this have been duly noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at the hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We booked this as the nearest premier inn to Jodrell where we were going to see Elbow perform. So knowing it would be a late night wanted something basic but also 24 hour etc. We checked in without any issue just after 2pm, and went to eat in the Taybarn next door. Note this is a all you can eat buffet style place, like Jimmy Spices, but without the politeness am afraid. Its very much a free-for-all with very pushy customers running around like its only for them. Not the Taybarn/staffs fault, they all seemed lovely, but more a victim of success/value. Attracting very much a `lets feed our kids for the week` mentality from some very stereotypical looking parents. Again not the locations fault but with the Premier Inn relying on this for food it is a bit off putting to have to wrestle with people who's idea of manners is very different to mine.
Anyways, the food was more then decent for the price :)
We got back to the hotel just before 3am thanks to mother nature deciding she wanted to get a few things off her chest and into the field they used as a carpark (over 2 hours to get off the field is not my idea of fun). However as expected the beds were so amazingly comfy we fell asleep in no time, and awoke, sorta, refreshed at 10 for breakfast (experience was just a less hectic version of above).

Comments on the room? PI Really need to realise that supplying 1 accessible plug on the table area is not really sufficient in todays electronic age. Have no choice to either unplug the telly or the kettle (which is further away) to be able to charge anything. Why no plugs by the bed?

Reviewed 18 June 2012

The Hotel is fine and what you would expect from the PI format WYSIWUG.
The rooms are comfortable, A good selection at breakfast.I would stay at hotel again but beware of the TAYBARNS restaurant. It is the nearest thing to a FEEDING TROUGH. Very noisey with food all around on floor and with no one bothering to clear it properly.It is self service and people are rushing about with food piled high on their plates. Great value if you are looking for that sort of thing. If you are looking for a normal restaurant atmosphear and you do not know the area, you would be better walking a mile to the Little Chef.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank johnanash
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Premier Inn trademark tweaks and a cracking 'all you can eat' place attached to the site. Friendly staff and no noise considering the size of the place. I'd use again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Booked a last minute stay and found the room to be great, the staff are also great. Infact I'm in my room now. I wanted a lay in due to being rushed into hospital the day before (yesterday) with a suspected heart attack. Needed a good nights sleep before my 310 mile drive home. This place was full of kids, who are noisy little **** . They started making a racket around 6.45am, Told them to keep the noise down, then not long after, they are running down the corridor, loads outside my room, making a noise. I'm not a kill joy, nor do I hate kids. I just wanted a full nights sleep, after going 35 hours without no sleep in hospital, Sure kids can have fun and should have
But at 6.45am they should keep the noise down. . Top marks to the reception lady. Also to Mick, they are both great. Just wish those little rugrats had been as good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Travelodge Newcastle-under-Lyme Central
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House

Been to Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!