“Excellent hotel but too hot”

Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Aberystwyth
“Excellent hotel but too hot”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is an excellent hotel, friendly staff and the food at breakfast was great.

It is let down by the stifling heat in the rooms. We had a family room and at 1am it was 26 degrees in there, way too hot to sleep. There was a fan which didn't help. (It wasn't hot outside, had been only 12 degrees at 8pm previous night outside). It stopped us sleeping for much more than an hour, hence the score.

Everything else great, just didn't sleep which was kind of the point of staying there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for your review. It really matters to us that our guests have a comfortable nights sleep, and we guarantee this. We do sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured that all your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to meet all our customer’s needs. We would like the opportunity to investigate further, please email your booking & review details to talktous@premierinn.com and we will be in contact directly. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at this Premier Inn for 2 nights whilst visiting Alton Towers. We couldn't have asked for a nicer stay! The staff on reception were lovely & nothing was to much trouble. The restaurant next door was an added little bonus after a long days travelling & offered loads of choice at a reasonable price. We would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Amanda B
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Clean, tidy, good value for money. Nice restaurant linked to hotel. Excellent base for trip to Alton towers - not nearest premier inn to it but excellent value for money and worth the extra miles. Will always stay here for our thrill seeking trips to Alton towers - stayed 4 times in approx. 12 months!?!

1 Thank Karen B
Costa Teguise, Spain
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The premier in service and room was as I have come to expect from the multitude of premier inn locations I have stayed at, As always the quality/layout of the room was as good as anywhere else, in fact premier do have this down well, once you enter the room you could be in any one of there other locations as the rooms are always identical. The beds are amazingly comfortable, the pillows let your head sink into them just enough, in fact I always sleep better at a premier inn than at home!

The inn was just off a bypass and due to school holidays there was a lot of families staying, saying this a part from early evening the odd noisy (normal) excited child no other noise was heard and by the time I went to sleep all was peaceful.

Premier Inns always have a pub/restaurant style eating establishment in the same grounds, this time it was Taybarns, it was an all you can eat for a cheap price style and the premier inn staff highlighted that it was half term and to either book a table or a time to be down to eat before the rush, ( the usual good service by premier inn).
The info book in the room described the taybarn and the variety of food stations you could choose from emphasised by the seeing your food cooked fresh.... ha..ha.. a joke or jest I feel.
Every premier inn I have stayed at have described breakfast as buffet but any hot food from the full breakfast menu are taken as an order and cooked to order, you can re order as much as you want. This has always in every other premier inn has been the case and been perfect, they will also even do special requests such as fried bread and I like plum tomatoes but have them in a separate dish so the tomato juice doesn't';t soggy my fried bread:)
I start by saying that I came down for breakfast within the first 15 minutes of the restaurant opening as this is important I feel. Taybarns breakfast was at best inedible at worst had serious hygiene issues, The bread, crumpets and rock hard croissants were unpacked and arranged not with tongs, but by hand, bear handed - no gloves or anything else, this was by the same person who had just been emptying large boxes of frozen meat into a mammoth amounts of trays. These trays of frozen meat were then stacked chest height in the middle of the cooking ( I say cooking but no ovens were on ) area, nothing between the layers of trays except for the next tray.
All of the juices were scarily between warm and very warm, after one sip it stopped me drinking more as I was concerned on the temperature it obviously had not come from a refrigerated or temperature controlled environment.
When I left home as it was for work I said good bye to my family and my regrets about being away, but at least I had the premier in cooked breakfast to look forward to. They are normally that good that I often take my family to one close to my home on a Saturday morning purely for the good breakfast.

This cooked... maybe not be the right choice of word I feel ... was not the usual, cooked items were just led out in trays to pick from buffet style not taken as an order as I have always experienced,
well where do I start:-
the mushrooms - advertised by premier inn as grilled to give that added flavour - these were button mushrooms sitting in the water they had been cooked in and we all know that boiled mushrooms are flavourless.
The beans were congealed and um well lumpy - I soon found out that this was due to them being between cold to just off cold.
The fried eggs were yolkless - you have a fried egg to dunk your bread in the yolk or let it run over your other items - these were amazing - not only was the yolk hard but the white was cold - how this was achieved I am still trying to work out.
The bacon - was curled/shrivelled and rock hard and cold - to the point the one bite I took cut the inside of my mouth trying to chew before passing to my napkin.
The sausages were crinkly and crunchy and cold.
The tomatoes - the only choice was the grilled tomato - these had not seen a grill, an oven as they were clearly cold and uncooked, the skin on a cooked tomato clearly shows if it has seen any heat source at all and these hadn't
The hash browns though weren't bad but this was more to fact that they were crunchy but cold.
Obviously I can only give my opinion on the food preparation, so this is it, I think the food had been cooked the day before and ATTEPTED to be reheated for service, attempted was in large writing as nothing was hot and certainly not at the temperature required to be served to the public.

On the plus side even with the thought of the handled bread and crumpets after 6 run times through the grill were lovely with butter and marmite for my toast. This was my breakfast the second morning as the "cooked" food was served the same as the first morning.

Needless to say my evening meal choice was unfortunately came from McDonald!.

Room Tip: Stay at the premier inn just do not pay for breakfast or eat at this locations Taybarn, be WARNED...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Found no problems, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the room very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spotless.
All in all a pleasant stay. I have stayed at this hotel in the past and will hopefully stay in it again.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed one night on my way up from Salisbury to Wensleydale, travelling on my maxiscooter. Easy to find, warm and welcoming reception, room clean and well-appointed.
Dining room was a bit noisy but I chose to eat before 6.00. and that's obviously when lots of children were about. They weren't rowdy though and it didn't spoil things....... AND dinner before 6 is cheaper than after!
Excellent food - huge selection and unlimited visits to the different sections and unlimited refills of soft drink.
Breakfast was equally good, probably the best hotel breakfast I've ever had.

All in all friendly and efficient staff - not in-your-face - and if I'm ever up that way again it's where I'll stay.

One other downer, not serious but I did say so at the time, there is no dedicated place for motorcycles where they can be chained up. Minor point but means a lot to bikers.

One point: I think old reviews should be deleted; I understand things may have not been so good in the past but 5 years have elapsed since the first 'solo' review and I'm certain that that traveller would find the hotel quite different now - I sincerely hope so anyway!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Another sorted visit to newcastle under lyme.However gymnastics outside our room warranted a call to reception at 10.30pm,who to there credit dealt with it with a very professional atitude .Otherwise usual standards upheld.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!