We were VERY fortunate to have the pleasure of staying in The Sanctuary at The Cranleigh on Weds 6th March 2013.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Emma. She arranged for our Daughter and her Husband to be taken to room 5 where they were spending the night and then personally took us herself straight to The Sanctuary.
The Sanctuary is a seperate annexe to the rear of the property. Upon entering The Sanctuary you can see why the owners have named it so. We stepped into the room and felt the amazing warmth of the roaring fire (remote controlled no less) and there was soft classical music (courtesy of Radio 3) playing through the in room Bose Surround Sound System (Luckily I own the same at home so was able to use it with ease).
Emma showed us every single feature and function of the room including the electrically operated blinds for the Velux Roof Lights, how the Fire worked, how the amazing lighting system worked, showed us the mini bar and the fantastic hot tub and explained that if we so wished we could have our breakfast in our suite.
Just as she was leaving she pointed out the very gratefully received complimentary bottle of champagne in the ice bucket that had been very kindly arranged for our arrival.
As soon as Emma left we called our daughter and her husband using the in room telephone and asked them to join us for a glass of champagne and we shared out the complimentary hand made Cranleigh chocolates.
Our daughter and her husband decided to return to their room for a rest as we had had a long day and were due to be eating out at 8PM. We decided to rest on the sumptuous sofa/love seat and watch a bit of TV whilst finishing off the Champagne. Next thing I know it's around 7PM as I have dozed off in the warmth of the fantastic fire that I mentioned earlier.
This "room" (seems ridiculous to call it a room actually as it is almost a cottage really), is so cozy and the bed and pillows and bedding are the most comfortable I have ever experienced. I felt like a king propped up on my pillows in that room. I loved the pillows so much I had a peek inside the pillow case to find out the make (Dunlopillo Latex Foam if you are interested), and decided I would be purchasing a few for home !
There is no doubt that The Sanctuary is an amazing accommodation in the Lake District. It is set perfectly, just a few minutes walk from Lake Windermere and is THE perfect place for a romantic night in the Lakes. If you can afford a week in The Sanctuary then go for it and fair play to you !
Our daughter and her husband also LOVED room 5 and are already talking about booking again.
Breakfast was lovely and the 4 of us had a lovely table right in the window. All of the Breakfast Room staff were very friendly and the food was perfect.
I can definitely recommend a stay at The Cranleigh and obviously definitely The Sanctuary.
It may not be the cheapest place to stay in the Lakes but to be fair there is good reason for that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Boutique accommodation, perfectly located in the Heart of the English Lake District. 23 Individually designed rooms and Suites with features including: private hot tubs, super sized air spa baths, free Wifi, free car parking, and access to leisure and spa facilities. Adult only accommodation. International award winning accommodation, completely unique to the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia and Priceline so you can book your Cranleigh Boutique reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cranleigh Guesthouse Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- Cranleigh Boutique Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District