“lake district heatwave”

Cranleigh Boutique
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“lake district heatwave”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

lovely hotel, great location, great staff. small little touches that really made the stay special. The nearby spa was beautiful and our luck with the weather seem everything that more special. Huggie bear was a nice little touch and was good at tidying the room every time we went out. was maybe a tad expensive at £25. Bathroom was immaculate and everything was of the highest standard.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
hudson101, Public Relations Manager at Cranleigh Boutique, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write your review, we love hearing about our guests’ stays and what it is that makes the stay special to them. We have been very fortunate this week with the weather. Thank you for the feedback in relation to the Huggie Bears, we will take this on board. We are also glad that the standards were as they should be for your stay – Thanks once again.

The Cranleigh team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We booked a 3 day stay at the Cranleigh at the last minute and were given Room 3. On arrival we were shown the room and, while I accept there were some luxury items, the Christmas wrapping wall paper and tin foil light fitting plus the constant changing lighting did make it feel like a cross between a house of disrepute and the inside of a lift!
While I accept that some people would love the layout, to us it felt quite oppressive. Additionally the room looks directly over the road and is fully visible to those walking along the road road and the hotel opposite. Therefore we had the curtain down whenever we were in the room.
The next issue was the noise. Room 3 seems to have paper thin walls and we were kept awake on the second and third nights by noisy neighbour rooms. I do not expect to pay £139 per night to get a disturbed night's sleep and have to listen to someone's drunken conversation.
The last issue with the room was the heat. The first two nights were quite cool so this was not really a problem but on the third night it was very hot and our only option was to open the window. Unfortunately this was not a real option due to the constant road noise that came through the window.
Other than these issues the room was very clean and the shower facilities were superb. Additionally the cooked breakfast in the morning was good and the staff were friendly. Car parking was a pain and I do wonder how many of the cars parked out the front actually belonged to guests!
All in all I wouldn't particularly recommend the hotel, especially at the price we paid. While it clearly has some good points, I do not consider it value for money.

2 Thank Barters_12
hudson101, Owner at Cranleigh Boutique, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As the owner of The Cranleigh I make it my business to fully understand what has happened when we receive a review that is not to our satisfaction.

I have spent considerable time interviewing all members of staff that dealt with the booking from the initial enquiry through to the time of leaving. I have read all email correspondence relating to your enquiry and I have also tried to contact you personally on a number of occasions over the telephone and also through email to discuss the issues further however without success. I would therefore like to respond with the following:

As you advised it was a late booking and at the time of your enquiry we had two rooms available - 1 standard and 1 luxury room. The luxury room due to its facilities was priced higher and you chose to opt for the standard room due to the lower cost. You have implied within your review that you were given room 3 however you were presented with two options and you chose room 3. This room has recently been decorated and comes with excellent and unrivalled facilities within the local area. The Cranleigh is a boutique establishment and the rooms are decorated with this in mind and it is unfortunate that this is not always to everyone’s tastes. The wallpaper and light fittings are all of the highest quality and to the highest standards of interior design. The option within this room to set the lighting to create the mood of which you want is a great facility for our guests to have, particularly as it is manageable by yourself enabling you to select the mood lighting which you wish; our receptionists showed you how to work this upon check-in and you therefore could of changed the setting to your liking or if you were having difficulties with this our staff would have been happy to assist.

On your arrival you were shown to Room 3. A short time after arrival you advised my receptionists that you felt claustrophobic and enquired whether you could have an alternative room. Our receptionists politely advised that we were unfortunately now fully booked.

It is really difficult for us as a hotelier to deal with any other concerns that you may have during your stay if at the time we are not advised of such issues. At no point during your stay did you give us the opportunity to deal with your issues.

For instance you write that you were too hot which is unfortunate as we could of assisted with this by informing you how to turn down the thermostat within your room or even provided you with a fan. We were not made aware of any other guests making too much noise either and we would have been happy to rectify such problems as we have a noise policy, a policy that we feel very strongly about.

Thank you for noticing the cleanliness, the quality of our breakfast and the friendliness of our staff also however in grading these facilities you have not graded them as you have expressed them within your review, this we feel we have to point out for instance my staff have received a three out of five for service but you have mentioned them positively within your review; it is therefore unclear where the standards could have been improved.

We advertise a centrally located hotel. We also received a three out of five for location which we feel is unjust and inaccurate given that it is a 2 minute walk from the Bowness center and the lake also to the hotel. We are one of the most centrally located hotels in the area.

I have spent the weekend thinking through how we have failed to meet or exceed your expectations and my conclusion is as follows; the room was unfortunately not to your taste and it was also unfortunate that we were not able to deal with your concerns at the time of them occurring this is due to the hotel not being advised of them. This is a shame as we would of gone out of our way to deal with any such issues as best as possible so to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

Stephen Hargreaves

Owner of The Cranleigh
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

My partner & I stayed at the hideout boutique apartment around a week ago. The Hideout was beautiful inside and definitely as the advertisements show, everything looks as described and was very glamorous. We did enjoy our stay and it was luxury, however I personally feel a few aspects weren't to my satisfaction, and were somewhat discounted by the management.

On arriving at the Cranleigh, we were checked in and given all relevant info as to how to get to the hideout. On our arrival, the cleaner was still in the apartment finishing up, meaning we had to go wait in the car in the rain for an extra 10 mins, which somewhat spoilt the first impression.
We were amazed by the inside of the apartment, it was lovely and glamorous and definitely put us into relax mode.
We were dispappointed by the mini bar, the bottles had being measured to half full, meaning we had to go out and purchase more, due to only 1 of the spirits being something we drink. This is personal preference & not the hideout's fault, but I feel the measures were a little strict.

The toilet also began to leak from the bottom during our stay, which wasn't a massive issue as we spent the majority of our time in the bottom part of the apartment, and the receptionist was very helpful with this issue in helping us, however when the manager contacted us we were told this happened due to 'condensation due to the heat in the bathroom' I find this hard to believe as the window was ajar all day and we only used that room perhaps 4 times throughout our stay, the room definitely wasn't of a hot temperature, and the water was leaking from the bottom part that was attached to the floor.
No toothpaste was supplied due to allergy reasons, however numerous bath lotions and also a box of chocolates with no nut allergy warnings on them, so again I feel this is irrelevant and false.

Overall I enjoyed our stay and the receptionist was particularly helpful I couldn't fault her, she was fab. I just feel the above issues, the toilet and the place not being ready, should not happen when you spend £350+ a night on a hotel.

I'm sure this was a one off though, I would recommend the Hideout it is lovely overall and a nice break away.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Zara S
Reviewed 31 May 2013

After two previous stays at the Cranleigh Hotel in Room 7 we were thrilled to be the lucky winners, on facebook of a stay in Room 17 the Hideaway Suite. On the 23rd May we had a really nice evening enjoying a complimentary bottle of champagne (which wasn't expected) and making full use of the facilties. Having stayed before we new what high standards to expect. From the friendly welcome at the reception, the amazing breakfast through to departure we had really good time. The Cranleigh is just a two minute walk into Bowness with plenty of places to eat. Thank you Cranleigh, I am sure we will be back sometime in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
It’s great to hear from our Facebook winners and even more fantastic to hear that you have stayed with us previously – on a couple of occasions. It’s good to give something back to our guests! We are very happy that you have had great stays on all three occasions. We very much look forward to welcoming you again at The Cranleigh.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This is a really lovely small hotel. Our room was very comfortable (room 8), although one minus point is that it is next door to a room that has a spa bath, which is very noisy when it is running.
The breakfast was amazing and we were really happy that there was some gluten free bread available for us.
The location of the hotel is excellent - really quick to walk anywhere.
We used the gym and spa facilities at the nearby hotel - the gym is great and well equipped. The spa treatments we had were also good and very reasonably priced. The only downside there is that the changing rooms are not especially clean and were ridiculously busy (I had to wait about 10 mins once to even be able to reach my locker).
The best thing, in our opinion, about the hotel is the staff. Everyone was really friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to help us. Special mention goes to Michaela on reception who was fantastic and really helped us.
Would definitely recommend the Cranleigh.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
hudson101, Public Relations Manager at Cranleigh Boutique, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thanks very much for your review. We try to appease all of guests so we will certainly look into whether there is an option or rather a part, which may silence the spa baths further. We try where possible to cater for all dietary requirements so we are very happy that you were satisfied with the gluten free bread and agree that the location is excellent too. In relation to the Spa facilities we have noted all concerns and are advising the hotelier of the issues you faced in the hope of making improvements to this area; than you very much for this feedback. We are over the moon that the best thing about the hotel is the staff; we are very focused on delivering the best service that we can and can’t thank you enough for this feedback– well done Michaela!

Thanks once again – we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

I won a night here through Facebook and I couldn't believe my luck! We arrived on Thursday 30th may and stayed in room 9! The room was fantastic,beautifully decorated and spottlessly clean. The breakfast was one of the best breakfasts me and my husband had ever had! I can recommend the eggs benedict. Mickeala on reception was lovely and couldn't help enough, offering to help with our bags and showing us to our room! We also met the owner Stephen who was lovely and really friendly. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed May 2013
Thanks so much for your lovely review; the cupcakes you brought also as a thank you were very much appreciated!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future, well done on your win and thanks once again.

North Yorks
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My husband booked one night at this hotel for our anniversary. As it is popular we had to settle for a room in the next door house right at the very top. The fixtures and fittings were of great quality and there were some nice little touches. The attention to detail is what makes a great place and this hotel does this. One thing that I noticed was the wallpaper in the dining room was all marked and stained. The room we had, I wouldn't class as 5 star having travelled a lot in the UK and abroad. Very nice overall but £165 for breakfast and a small room at the top of a house, personally is too expensive. We visited the Thai in the town - thoroughly recommend it. We used the Spa at the Macdonald Hotel in the town the next day, which is part of the package. This was ruined by wedding party guests in the pool screaming, splashing and behaving quite disrespectfully. Other guests from our hotel using the spa left. This isn't a reflection on The Cranleigh but hotels with pools aren't Spas, they are leisure facilities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for The Cranleigh. We are very happy that you recognise we are a great quality hotelier through providing all the little touches which guests desire.

In regards to the wallpaper in the dining room I have advised the owner relating to this so that we can ensure that this is rectified as soon as possible and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We have worked hard to offer the five star experiences and we have gained our rating through achieving Gold awards ultimately through offering the overall experience which you recognise to be ‘very nice’.
Naturally as the five star standard is an award which is given to many same standard hotels there will be some that achieve better than others, so we can understand that you may of come across other hotels particularly abroad which may achieve higher as they are able to offer all facilities within one location and we are a small family run hotel. We have however worked hard to achieve and offer the 5 star experience as best as we can and due to our rating given by The AA as a highly commended guest house (five stars) and the five stars given by Enjoy/Visit England and the Gold Award also given by them, we are classed as five star establishment. We are very proud to be recognised by these reputable bodies and to have been given this standard and feel that it is a standard which reflects what we strive to achieve.

In relation to the Spa facilities provided by The Cranleigh for your full enjoyment, due to the location of the hotel we offer the facilities which are off site however within a 2-minute walk away from the hotel. We are genuinely sorry that you had guests from there disrupt the enjoyment of yourselves and other guests from The Cranleigh too. It seems you were unlucky with this experience at the Spa. The Spa facilities are on offer providing a leisure club inclusive of techno gym, expert therapists, 20-metre heated pool and sensuous Spa also so there really is other areas which you could of experienced or rather escaped from and which do define a Spa rather than sole leisure facilities however we do agree that you may of been disrupted by these guests in the same way and we can only apologise on their behalf but as you said this wasn’t a reflection on The Cranleigh.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we take all reviews seriously and we can always take from any constructive feedback so genuinely thank you for your review – we hope to see you again in the future.

The Cranleigh team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Cranleigh Boutique? Share your experiences!