“Nowhere nice in Bowness”
Review of Postilion Restaurant - CLOSED

Postilion Restaurant
Price range: US$9 - US$34
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Nowhere nice in Bowness”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Nice town, but very average restaurants. Too touristy is suppose. This place boasted 20 odd tears of srvice, but they only offered a set meal and it was ghastly.
My wife's soused mackerel was truly awful - there was nothing of the sea left in this poor unfortunate fish, and the dressing - yuk!
My starter of scotch egg was ok.
OUr main - three little pigs was a joke. A sausage wrapped in a peice of tesco's chorizo slice on what I think was a mixture of potato, cheese, mushy peas and bits of bacon. This woiuld have been better employed to shore up the walls down at the dock.
A very sdisappointing meal.
Staff were nice, but we arrived early and the chef/owner was already having abit of meltdown over something and he wasn't very polite when the staff asked him where we should be seated.

1 Thank Russell M

Milton Keynes
“Food tasty, service average, price average for area”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently visited this restaurant for a meal on our mini moon break. On arrival we were shown into the back part of the restaurant which was quite dark and rather warm due to a large table occupying most of the space. It also had little natural light due to boxes and crates being piled up against the outside of the building, against the window. I would recommend moving them as it doesn't create a romantic atmosphere.

Due to my hearing being bad and not being able to hear my husband we asked to move and we were shown into a lighter part of the restaurant. This was done quickly in fairness to the serving staff.

We were offered some bread from the bread basket (1 piece), I thought this was a tad stingy as bread is relatively cheap, but then in most restaurants you don't always get any for free, so shouldn't complain really.

I ordered the duck leg and my husband ordered the lamb and I asked for a glass of wine with my meal. Food arrived fairly promptly but we had to ask for my wine as the waiter had forgotten to bring it. I didn't mind that he forgot, but I did mind the surly waiter. The younger waiter who seated us was very helpful but the two others were not so great.

We were given dessert menus and less than 5 minutes later the surly waiter was back asking if we were ready. Again, not so much as a smile.

All in all I thought the service was average. Surly waiters who seemed put out when asked for the missing wine, but one really nice waiter to make it a not altogether dreadful experience. Food was meagre in size, with only 6 pieces of lamb on my husbands plate. I had to share some of my duck as his portion was rather small. We thought the price was a tad pricey for the portion size, but this is average priced for the area.

In regards to the food itself I could not find fault, it was very tasty and nicely cooked. This side of the experience was amazing and I can recommend the food.

Pros - food is very nice, one waiter very polite, booking system straightforward

Cons - other service staff not great, ambience wasn't amazing for a romantic meal (the candles were those fake battery operated ones, I think a real candle is much nicer). Tables a bit too close to the other tables, not much room for an intimate meal when you are practically sat on the lap of the person on the table next to you.

• Visited June 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The food was amazing. Service excellent and three course meal was great value for money. Would highly recommend

Visited June 2014
“Excellent Restaurant in Windermere”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I visited this Restaurant in early June 2014. The meal I had was excellent and the service was superb. We didn't have a table booked but were given a really nice table even though the restaurant was busy. I had Mackerel to start and then lamb shoulder for main followed by home made sorbet ice cream. The Lamb was cooked to perfection BTW. Superb restaurant and I would visit again. I'd encourage anyone who visits Bowness or the surrounding area to visit as well.

• Visited June 2014
“Great food”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is a great little restaurant tucked away in Ash Street, offering great food at a very reasonable price. We arrived at 1845hrs to benefit from the £17.95 a head menu; it goes up at 1900hrs to £23.95 I think. Excellent choice of food; I had the cheese and caramelised onion tart to start followed by the beef stroganoff (at a supplement to the normal cost - but well worth it) and then a chocolate thingy which I can't remember now! (Didn't have a decent phone signal for almost a week so now can't remember the names!) really really lovely food. The service was also very good; very efficient and friendly and a special mention to George who was our waiter. If you get chance, you really should visit, it's well worth it.