“Menu promised much and delivered very little - Disappointing !!”

Fat Olives Brasserie
Price range: US$10 - US$45
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A friendly English and Mediterranean brasserie style restaurant, open from 4pm serving freshly prepared, home cooked food. A varied menu offering light snacks, sharing plates, grills and regularly changing specials. Excellent children's menu available. Also offering a Cinema and Meal deal in cooperation with the Royalty Cinema which is just across the road.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Menu promised much and delivered very little - Disappointing !!”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

After arriving in Bowness, we walked most of the length of Lake Road checking the menus on offer for our first meal of our holiday. We were hungry after a long day travelling and were looking forward to a long leisurely meal and something memorable to start of our tour. My partner was tempted by the Whitebait and the 'day's special' of Morrocan Spiced Lamb. I adore Mussels and chose those as my starter. The menu stated they were cooked in white wine, cream and garlic. The mussels were perfectly cooked but they certainly lacked any of the flavours I was expecting. My partner said the Whitebait was OK !! I had chosen another 'special' of Duck served on a bed of spiced red cabbage, a timbale of rice and lardons and a raspberry and cranberry coulis. I wasn't asked how I would like my duck cooked. It was neither pink (my preference) or fall apart and melt in the mouth (my other choice). The Lardons in the rice overwhelmed it with saltiness. The spiced red cabbage had no more flavour than the plain school dinner variety and the coulis was neither sweet or sour. As for my partners' Spiced Morrocan Lamb, well the decorative parsley was the only ingredient to have any flavour. On expressing our disappointment, we were offered a complimentary dessert. BIG DEAL !!! With Wine our bill was nearly £70.00

2 Thank Morag63

England
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“fabulous evening ,attentive service,excellent food”
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We walked past the restaurant-8pm Saturday evening in august .The wait for a table was 45 minutes.We walked around town and came back-would probably have stayed in the first place had we realised that there was a bar where we could have waited with a drink.An alfresco 30 minutes with a bottle of red wine (perfect temperature) and a ' bucketful' of olives passed in a jiffy .We were served by three different people during the evening all attentive and very pleasant indeed.Our five year old was made to feel so at home that she volunteered that we should come here again.By the way the food was excellent too and good value.If I really want to be picky then as the evening progressed the lighting could have been softened (nothing that a custom made dimmer for GU10 lighting couldn't sort out !)

Colchester, United Kingdom
“GREAT FOR FAMILIES”
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Decided to try this brasserie after visiting the Priest Hole in Ambleside. You get a 10% discount if you take your receipt with you. The attitude to kids was just the same, friendly and happy to accommodate. The food was really good, nice portions and beautifully cooked. Similar to The Priest Hole, but slightly different, with a more modern atmosphere. Would highly recommend to anyone with or without kids.
I was astonished to read the previous reviews as we found the service brilliant, and as to the anchovy people, they really need to get a life!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Don't know about food, didn't get any............................”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Arrived at the very nice looking restaurant and was given our menu's. The waitress never came back to take our order. We sat for ages whilst the waitress walked back and forward doing stupid tasks. The restuarant was not even half full. When we got up to leave, she had a very arrupt manner and couldn't care less attitude. Very poor service.

3 Thank reviewer1236
Durham, United Kingdom
“anchovies??????”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

When we ordered our starter we were pleased with the selection of tapas that was stated on the menu for our sharing plate not when it was put in front of us yuk anchovies we hate them made everything on the plate taste and reek of fish spoilt a meal we were actually looikng forward to. Think the sharing plates should actually match up with what is listed on the menu.