“just sublime”
Review of Bodega Tapas Bar

Bodega Tapas Bar
Cuisines: Bar, Mediterranean, Spanish, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
North East
“just sublime”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We were staying at Laurel Cottage on our Spring visit to Bowness ( fabbest guest house) and had called in the tapas bar for a swift one when the heavens opened. The food looked good, and we decided to eat there on our next visit. Back at Laurel Cottage again in July, that's exactly what we did. THREE TIMES! Ok so it is right next door to our fave B&B, but even so with all the choice available in this lovely town, we really should be ashamed of coming back here time and again. But we're not.

Our first visit was early evening, where we were shown straight upstairs to the restaurant. The menu suggests that if you want a meal ( rather than a light snack) you should choose 3/4 tapas. I pressumed they meant EACH, and went about picking the tastiest looking. We had garlicy prawns, which were still sizzling in their little dish and gorgeous, asparagus wrapped in parma ham ( yum) monkfish, also wrapped in parma ham - which looked a bit anaemic, but tasted delicious, there were olives to share, some garlic bread, vegetable tempura ( which Trev said he could live without, but I adored) we tried mixed kebabs and tortilla. It took us about 3 hours to wash it all down with a carafe of house wine. The atmosphere is fun and friendly, the service prompt and attentive without doing your head in ( I hate to be contantly hassled) - and we were under no pressure to leave the table, despite taking such a long time.
We retired downstairs to sample a couple of cocktails, I am now addicted to cosmopolitans, thanks to the lovely polish girl who recommended I try one. We got chatting to some youngsters who worked in nearby hotels, and they said they all loved the place too. We were pleasantly chuffed with our bill upstairs( a lot less than 50 quid inc wine and tip) but I blew everything we felt we'd "saved" on the cocktails!

We were back the following day for lunch, and more of the same, and then again in the evening for cocktails! ridiculous, I know, but such good fun.

We will be back in November, and I just know where we'll be heading as soon as we unpack our bags.