“Fab food and service”
Review of Village Inn

Village Inn
Price range: US$7 - US$34
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Village Inn is one of Bowness-on-Windermere's most popular bars, situated just seconds from the shores of Lake Windermere and is open daily from 10am until late, serving fresh, locally sourced produce, with homemade pasta dishes and creations from the grill, a speciality. The bar offers a wide range of real ales and an excellent selection of vodkas, beers, brandies, and an extensive wine list with 50 wines from around the globe. In the summer, the Village Inn also launched a new range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, which have proved especially popular, in addition to new outside furniture and heaters. The Village Inn Bar and Grill is in the heart of Bowness-on-Windermere, its busy restaurant and bar make it a great place for locals and tourists a like. Come and see for yourself!
Reviewed 25 November 2013

WE had a meal here on Friday 22nd November....cannot complain about anyhting. The bar staff were exstremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Mum only wanted a small plate of food so had a ham sandwich and chips but the rest of us girls had main meals . All different but all excellent.Was hoping to be able to fit a dessert in but too full. Thank you for a most enjoyeble meal and will definetly come again.

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thanks for your great review of the Village Inn. It is great to hear that everyone's appetites were catered for! We hope to see you again soon - and hopefully have some space for one of our homemade desserts!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,809)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was out with family and friends and we called at the Village Inn without booking a table. We were seated at a very large wooden table near the bar area by a helpful waitress. The menu is very good; lots to choose from and it's not expensive! Four members of our group ordered the gammon; it was really nice. Luckily we didn't order starters; the size of the main meals are huge! The beer is also good because they serve Peroni on draught. You could happily spend all day in the Village the service and atmosphere are great. Outside there is a large seating area with umbrella's and heat lamps; perfect for winter warmth outside.

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thanks tmpswooner for sharing your recent experience at the Village Inn. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the gammon, the large portion sizes, the friendly service and of course, the Peroni!

We look forward to seeing you again soon for a cosy winter's night under the heated lamps!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Everything great about this place......We were a walk in couple and only waited 30 minutes for a table for two...and the place at 6.30pm was already busy. The bar area is very relaxed and casual. Funky table games while we waited ... The best steak I have eaten this year .... and I eat at plenty of good restaraunts in and around Manchester. My other half had Tandoori chicken breast on chiabatta bread and it was succulent and savoury and the presentation and service is clever, different and very efficient and pleasant. The menu is varied but not oversized so what they do they take time to do very well indeed. We will re-visit this eatery when we return to Bowness in the spring. Excellent........

Thanks for your great review. I will pass your comments on to the chefs and I know they will be delighted to hear that the steak was the best you've had all year - and with just over a month until the end of the year, we hope to stay in your top spot!

I am glad you enjoyed the games in the bar whilst waiting for your table.

We look forward to seeing you in the Spring.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Ive tried to be as honest as possible in this review, enjoyed the food and atmosphere, enjoyed my time here until.... My wife and I paid by card as we had no cash, we decided we would pay then go get money and back with a tip. We always make a point of tipping as ive worked in the industry myself, as has my wife. My negative experience came after paying with the card and due to explain we were going to get money for a tip, we were told to [--] by a tall foreign barman, I asked him to repeat himself, so he did, I was disgusted and angry, will never return to this establishment or the town. My advice avoid, unfortunate that there are staff that have no meaning of true service and a manager that tolerates this

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

We are made up to hear that you enjoyed your meal and were happy with the service.

As you know, we contacted you by phone immediately after receiving a call from you stating that a supervisor used obscene language to you. The scenario was witnessed by several people, who all said quite clearly that the supervisor in question did not say what you thought he said. This was explained to you on the phone at the time.

It is so far out of belief that he, or any other member of staff, would comment to any customer what you thought he said to you, and we tried to explain this to you on 2 occasions. Any reasonably thinking human being would have questioned what they thought they had heard, and been willing to accept after investigation that they had simply misheard. Realistically, there is absolutely no reason for him to make such a remark to you, however, you were unwilling to accept that you had misheard him which I can only put down to arrogance.

However, it is great to hear how much you enjoyed the food.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Thought we give this place a go , we've tried several restaurants in bowness so it was our first visit , really enjoyed it very modern inside ,nice atmosphere , the service was good , the food was tasty would recommend the hanging chicken kebab , my wife had the mussels as a starter and was so full she struggled to eat all of her main course , to sum it up well worth a visit

Thanks for your great comments. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to the Village Inn. We look forward to seeing you again for Round 2!