Linthwaite House
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$195
  • Breakfast included
The Ryebeck(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$158
  • Breakfast included
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$264
Cranleigh Boutique(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$256
Excellent 5/5
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$277
US$108
TripAdvisor
Good 3.5/5
1,474 results
All reviewsloft suiteprivate tarnsummer houseafternoon tealake districthot tubfine diningbeautiful hotelcourse dinnerwedding anniversarylog firecountry househigh standardsconeslounge areabirthday treatfantastic views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The view over looking the lake from the hill within the hotel grounds was simply breathtaking. The hotel itself was a decent standard but I expected more given the price. No complaints though!

• Stayed: October 2011
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Many thanks for your kind review; "expensive" (we aren't cheap that's for sure) but "no complaints though". Value for money is very important and it's all relative whether you are buying a train ticket, fuel for the car, a Costa coffee, or a car! Nothing is cheap and if it is it probably isn't worth experiencing. That's why we get over 50% of our customers returning again and again.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed for 3 nights to celebrate my 30th birthday. Driving up to the hotel we both had a feeling this would be something special and we weren't disappointed.

The rooms and public areas were beautifully designed, well looked after, and spotlessly clean. All very warm and welcoming. We were there just to relax, and we certainly did that.

The staff were all friendly, professional and welcoming, with Dejan in the restaurant making a particularly positive impression throughout our stay.

We had dinner in the restaurant every night and every course throughout our stay was excellent, from canapes through to dessert. The chefs enthusiasm for locally sourced produce is a delight. Despite other reviews, well worth every penny and more, the real highlight of our stay. Thank you chef, keep up the good work.

Huge ridiculously comfy beds, big power showers, fluffy towels and robes, open fires in the lounge, conservatory with views over the lake, cracking Eggs Benedict, i could go on and on and on.

The only problem was it didn't stop raining for 3 days, but i can hardly blame them for that can I, although I'm sure some people on this website would.

Well done. You've made fans for life. Keep up the good work.

1  Thank bluebobw

Many thanks for your fabulous review of our hotel. It's great to know we are doing something right. Of course we try to get everything right all the time and are constantly reviewing what we do to make sure it stays on top. So when it all comes together it makes it all worthwhile.
Come back soon,
From all of us at Linthwaite,

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed 2 nights at Linthwaite Hse. It's a lovely older hotel situated in large gardens with their own small private lake. The staff were all very friendly and helpful & the room was comfortable. We ate here one night and found the quality of cooking to be high, but the prices maybe just a bit higher than was warranted, in particular, my wife's vegetarian meal was definitely not worth £52 for 3 courses. There are Michelin starred restaurants in the area charging less!
A small niggle was a cleaner deciding to vaccuum in the corridor at 7.30 am both mornings and a loud petrol lawnmower getting busy 10 minutes later on the first morning. Obviously not great for late risers!
Overall, a very nice place to stay - but I would probably eat dinner elseware

Reviewed 2 October 2011

After returning from our 3rd break at lovely Linthwaite I felt I should let the world know what a special hotel this is (even if we have to fight for a room next time!!) I can not believe the previous reviewer could be staying at the same hotel and, seemingly, at the same time. Our experience, much like our previous visits, was faultless. We have always received a warm welcome from the mainly local young staff and nothing is ever too much trouble. We were allocated room 22 (a preferred room) which is on the ground floor in the newly refurbished wing and it was even nicer than those we have stayed in previously. Beautiful, contemporary decor; fab bathroom with large walk-in shower and bath and a delightful outdoor patio where we sat each evening listening to the birds while sipping a glass of bubbly (well it was my hubby's 60th after all!) Dinner was exquisite on both evenings of our stay. Yes it is pricey but I think you will find other hotels in the region are charging more for a similar standard of fayre. The service is excellent and it is obvious the owners of this hotel take a pride in the place, reinvesting to ensure standards are maintained.

Being canny northern cumbrians we don't like being ripped off and I can assure you this could never be the case at Linthwaite. We will definitely return to our favourite hideway and hope it goes from strength to strength.

Room Tip: Room 22 has a small but delightful outdoor patio.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind and supportive review. It just goes to show that some guests love Linthwaite. If all our reviews were perfect all the time there would be definitely something fishy! I think it's amazing how many people from Cumbria come to stay at Linthwaite, although my wife and I often say it would be nice to travel up the road and experience the wonderful Lakes from a different aspect.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon,
Kind regards

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I found the hotel very overpriced for the 240 pounds per night on single basis. This was a discounted rate. The room was tiny, had amenities of 2 star and looked tired.
I had asked for Luxury Lake View room however the hotel booked me in a Preferred room and didnot tell me so. Even upon checking at reception she confirmed that I was in a luxury lake view.
I had requested for firm mattress at the time of booking however the same was completely forgotten until at night when I entered my room. Even the net day they put a hardboard on the bed and over it placed a sponge mattress!!! Anyone would know this isnt going to be firm. As a result I had to sleep on carpet both nights.
The service was unfriendly from staff who appeared to be doing a favor.
The polish reception staff dont understand english. I had asked for a cab to railway station and it didnot arrive for over half an hour whereas normally it took 10 minutes to arrive. The lady at reception insisted it was on the way and refused to reconfirm even after I requested her to do so. Finally I had to tell the manager that I was about to miss my train if the cab didnt arrive and then she called. As it turned out the cab had been waiting at another hotel with a similar name. The cabbie told me that she cross checked the hotel name and the receptionist( east european) at Linthwaite couldnot understand her accent. I was lucky that the train was late!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank PSA68
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2011

Well this is interesting because you posted this review after you stayed at the beginning of August and I posted a response which has now been taken down because you have re-posted the review. I cannot see how this can be useful for the readers of the review.