“The Linthwaite House Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Linthwaite House

Linthwaite House
Altrincham, United Kingdom
“The Linthwaite House Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a two day break at The Linthwaite House Hotel and have read a scathing review recently put on this site from a family in Macclesfield. We cannot believe that this is the same hotel that we just left this morning. From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who at all times acted in a most professional and courteous manner.

Our standard room with en suite bathroom was more than adequate and spotlessly clean and tidy.I was particularly pleased to find I could pick up Sky sports channels (if I required and had the time) something we don't have at home!!

With regard to the food, my wife and I found it to be of a very high standard and the waiter service in the restaurant was impeccable.

This was our first visit to The Linthwaite and most definitely won't be the last!!!

Stuart & Sandra Neil, Altrincham

1 Thank Sandra N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Linthwaite House Hotel rests above Windermere Lake and has exceptional views of the lake. The welcome as you arrive is informal and already you begin to relax. The rooms are very comfortable and we have now stayed in a variety of the rooms available. All are furnished to a very high standard. The staff are caring and have time to spend with the guests without being pushy. The food was excellent and the wine list was extensive.
Altogether a great break in the Lakes

Room Tip: A superior standard is very good for comfort although the standard rooms are excellent value and ver...
St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Very nice, though on the pricey side for what's on offer, no swimming pool, spa etc.They can organise treatments in your room if you wish, I presume from a mobile therapist. Our room was very small so I'm not sure how that would have worked. The food was excellent and the service was very good. It's a real treat for food lovers, but I think that's it's main charm.

Room Tip: We only saw one room, we tried for a free upgrade but were told there were none available, though th...
Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

My stay at the Linthwaite House Hotel was absolutely awful. For a start, we paid £257 a night for a "family room", and I ended up having to sleep on an ancient folded-out sofa camp bed for two nights as I would not allow my autistic daughter to sleep on it, which, for the price, is completely unacceptable. Secondly, the meal we had there on the first night with friends was dreadful: the waiters were completely incompetent. My food order was completely forgotten, and I did not get to eat until everyone else had finished their main course as a result. My friend's food was stone cold, and all they offered us by way of recompense was a cheap bottle of wine. Our breakfast orders were also continually delivered incorrectly. Thirdly, we were left under no illusions that our extremely well-behaved and quiet child was not welcome at this establishment. Both staff and clientele treated her with absolute contempt. Frankly, since all that was offered her was rudeness and a rubbish camp bed, I think the Linthwaite House Hotel should revise its policy on accepting children at all, since it clearly does not wish to accommodate them. All in all, I've had better service and accommodation at a Premier Inn, and I would never return to such a ghastly and overpriced hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT allow them to palm you off with a camp bed, or go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank mandiapple
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Firstly, please accept my profuse apologies for not having replied sooner - I have been having a thorough investigation regarding all your comments on this and the restaurant review you have kindly submitted.

Also, apologies for what seems to have become a very stressful stay for you. It's certainly our intention that the opposite should occur as a result of people staying at Linthwaite, and it seems like I'm reading a review of another hotel rather than Linthwaite. Our many other reviews in the vast majority of cases demonstrates clearly that we do get it right most of the time.

I think I now know how Sir Alex Ferguson must have felt when Manchester Utd. were thrashed 6-1 by Manchester City the other week. Like him and his team we will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and start all over again. It certainly stops us from being complacent.

We also love children. No, Linthwaite isn't the ideal children's hotel, but they are our future paying guests and I don't believe in a no kids policy for hotels. Again, many reviews recently have been highly complimentary about how well we have looked after guests with children. And to be honest, Iain our Assistant Manager thought he'd got on well with your little girl.

Frankly I have had difficulty reconciling all the problems because there seem to be such disparate opinions and don't intend to go into the detail again now. The fundamental thing is though that the managers on duty were unaware of the degree of unhappiness you were obviously feeling. They should have been able and would have liked to talk to you and perhaps to placate you in some way whilst you were still at the hotel.

However, your parents stayed on an extra night, so they couldn't have thought Linthwaite was too bad.

Once again, apologies from us all.

Mike Bevans
Owner
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

i was terribly disappointed with my stay . Everything was too ordinary for the price that we paid.Worst ever service at the table during breakfast - food finally arrived an hour later after reminding 3 different staff members. I had to leave without breakfast as my 2 year old was too irritable waiting on the poor quality high chair for an hour . It took effort of three of us to get her out of the high chair .Staff in the restaurant was rude and inefficient didn't know the mechanism of their highchair ! There was too little food variety for breakfast although i am unable to comment on the quality of food as i didn't get to eat.Despite expressing my concerns to a staff member ,there was not a word of apology. Location is good but i had expected more for the price we payed. wouldn't recommend to anyone with children - and after the above experience wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
14 Thank sapna m
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Many thanks for your eloquent review.

It would be helpful next time you stay in a hotel and have such problems if you discussed it with the management. They may be able to do something on the spot for you.

Unfortunately we couldn't get the food stains out of the carpet from the take away dinner we presume you brought from the town so we will be forwarding an invoice for the extra cleaning we will have to get done to enable us to let the room again.

Many thanks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

I've been lucky enough to stay in some amazing hotels around the world & the Linthwaite simply didn't disappoint.

In an excellent location, the hotel is romantic, stylish & very comfortable. The service was very personal and friendly; just what I expected from the Lake District.

Our room was faultless. Great trendy decor with true comfort & a lovely bathroom.

Breakfast was superb and, due to the weather we ate in the restaurant one evening where the quality of the food was very good.

In summary, an excellent, high quality modern hotel in a stunning part of the country, which I have recommended to many friends since our stay. We will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2010
Sanur, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

We come for special occasions, and love it, the food is excellent and the staff attentive. It is pricey, but for a special occasion it's well worth it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maxbax63
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to write and for your kind review. We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon,
Best wishes
Mike Bevans & the Whole Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,330 reviews
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,777 reviews

Been to Linthwaite House? Share your experiences!