We stayed in February for two nights on a half price offer.
With the offer we paid for a preferred room £107.50 per person per night which included full english breakfast and four course dinner . (dinner normally approx £52.00 per person) inc vat and service .
On arrival we parked up and walked into the reception which was deathly quiet . There was a small table with a bell on it saying 'ring me' . Once rung we were greeted by a lady who's welcome was underwelming but dutifully done and shown to our room . We started off in room 34 very nice with a lovely large bathroom with ensuite with double bath and double shower . The Molton Brown accessories for the bathroom had only been laid out for one person and probably just an oversight but we did call down for extra which did not arrive until after a second call . The temperature in the room could only be controlled by reception and as I had already called twice , I felt I was being a bit annoying . Back through reception for dinner and again no one around to meet and greet you . The hotel was very busy so I wonder if it was down to that .
Canapes served before dinner were not great , olives, bread sticks and two dips . We had champagne with canapes which was lovely and ordered wine with our main course. Unfortunately the waiter brought the unfinished champagne into the restaurant and put it on a side board away from us so every time we wanted to top up our glasses we had to walk passed another table to get it . Again not many staff as we had to do this every time ourselves not a big problem but not what you would expect in this type of rated hotel . Also the wine was not shown to us or offered for tasting but placed at the table and left also not poured .
The food itself was lovely we enjoyed all the choices we were given and it was hot when served. We were offered coffee in the restaurant or in the lounge and took the lounge option . However after waiting half an hour we decided to head to bed and forget the coffee. Again not many staff and they were rushing .
Fog prevented us seeing Windermere at all during the two night stay so i'm sure it would have a different feel if you could see the location the hotel prides itself on .
Breakfast was very nice although service was too slow for some guests who made it known to the staff.
We changed to room 16 something we knew about in advance and this was done easily as we packed everything and the housekeep took the bags to the new room . Although in the same price banding it was not in our opinion the same standard . The bathroom although large needed updating and the furniture in the room was dark and dated. The very small balcony was out of use as unsafe due to being weather beaten.
The following evenings dinner experience had much better service due largely to a new staff member (James I think ) came round to meet guests and have a chat and a smile . It made such a difference .
Maybe with the winter offer it was good value but had I have paid the full £860 for the two nights I'd have not gone away feeling it was money well spent .
This is our third stay at a 'pride of britain hotel' and for us it came in third
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The latest addition to the Leeu Collection portfolio is Linthwaite House, a 30-room country house retreat overlooking Lake Windermere in England’s scenic Lake District. Breathtaking views, private gardens and woodland grounds, and an award-winning restaurant make for an idyllic stay. Linthwaite House will be closed for refurbishment from Monday the 19th of June until Wednesday the 1st of November. Leeu Collection will be upgrading this popular Lake District boutique hotel in order to bring you an even better, more beautiful Linthwaite House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Linthwaite House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Linthwaite Hotel Windermere
- Linthwaite House Hotel
- Linthwaite House Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District