Linthwaite House
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$189
US$184
Windermere Hydro Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$238
US$231
  • Pool
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$411
US$179
The Ryebeck(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Storrs Hall(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Stags Head(Bowness-on-Windermere)
1,474 results
All reviewsloft suiteprivate tarnsummer houseafternoon tealake districthot tubfine diningbeautiful hotelcourse dinnerwedding anniversarylog firecountry househigh standardsconeslounge areabirthday treatfantastic views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We have been going to the Linthwaite hotel for about 30years the staff are always helpful and cheerful nothing is to much trouble the rooms are beautiful and the food well what can we say a mmmm with every mouthful Again an unforgettable stay will be back soon

Room Tip: I can't they are all special
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ukmumsy
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Ah! What more can I say? Thanks very much indeed for the wonderful review!
Very best wishes
Mike, Andy and the whole team

Reviewed 9 November 2012

We booked a last minute 3 day break on what purported to be a deeply discounted deal of £290 per room DBB apparently only available by phoning. At rack rate it would have been overpriced for what you get, While we were there we were offered a fourth night at £190 so suspect we missed out on a saving we could have made had we pushed harder when booking.

I agree with everything the previous reviewer says about the food. It is very prettily art directed on the plate but portions are on the small side, there is a tendency to over-salt and the menu is short on fresh vegetables or salads. Breakfast would benefit from some proper bread. The toast and Viennoiserie are a bit disappointing. The breakfast buffet and choice of hot dishes is fine, The canapes referred to by the previous reviewer are indeed average and the impression is that their real purpose is to encourage a pre-dinner bar sale. The jazz piano music in the dining room is well chosen and not too loud or intrusive. An extensive wine list is fully priced and there is only one size of wine by the glass .

Our bedroom had a good view, a very comfortable bed and well equipped bathroom though my husband would have liked a shaving mirror and a grab rail for the bath/shower. I would have expected, as this is a four star hotel, that the two little bottles of bath bubbly would be replaced automatically each day. I was surprised to be told that this was not hotel policy.The tea and coffee making facility in the room was excellent with good quality ground coffee bags rather than the usual instant.

The lounge area is furnished comfortably with open fires and the public areas decor is generally subdued and relaxing. All the staff were helpful and courteous; reception staff have to be summoned with a tea bell from the adjacent office. A bit of spontaneous warmth on departure such as offering to help with bags to the car, shaking hands or wishing one a safe journey home would not come amiss.

Location-wise the hotel is peaceful and well away from the noise of the main road,in an elevated position with good views and well tended grounds. If you are walking and without a car be prepared for a twenty minute uphill walk from the ferry.

All in all this is a well run country house hotel but a bit lacking in the personal touch and maybe,just maybe, it should review the way it manages some of its cost control and revenue generation.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Many thanks for your kind and objective review.
The rates do of course vary according to supply and demand.
We offer people staying the chance to stay on longer for less when we can if there is availability.
Lead times for bookings used to be 40 days and now are more like 40 hours, so it is difficult to manage the sales.

I can't disagree with you regarding the nibbles before dinner, but I wouldn't describe them as canapés as such.

Portions are on the small side, and Chef is getting a copy of every review that says so. Sometimes Chefs cook for Michelin stars but can forget about the customer! As Chef is new (April) he is still learning, and he is in his first Head Chef's job. It's certainly not an exercise in cost cutting because this sort of food is very expensive to source and handle.

We hope you will be able to return again one day,

Many thanks again,

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I'm talking about the food here,more of that later.
I have waited 3 weeks before writing this review to be fair, to see if I got a response to my Most Liked and Least Liked comments card,so far no reply.
Firstly ,the hotel is in a lovely setting,it is well maintained and tastefully decorated.The bedroom was comfortable and well furnished with complementary water and Molton Brown smellies in the bathroom .Had quite a good nights sleep with the windows ajar,not too hot.
There are plenty of tourist information leaflets in the hotel and the staff are pleasant and friendly without being over familiar,so far so good.
The "problem" came with the evening meals.
Canapes, which they make a big deal of, are really bar nibbles,nuts olives and a small dip.
The quality of the food cannot be disputed,however the portions are way too small. A teaspoon
of mackerel for the Starter and a 50 pence piece size of Lamb for the main, and very little in the way of vegetables,so we had to fill up with bread.
The coffee was 3.95 pp extra brought in a small cafetiere which in most restaurants would be for one person.
Breakfast was the same rationing, 1 glass of juice poured out for you,1 slice of toast 1 croissant
A small cooked breakfast 1 piece of bacon 1 tomato etc etc all very strictly controlled,not what I expect in a four star hotel.
The homemade muesli and poached plums however were delicious and you could help yourself to those.
The dining room is well done out with starched white cloths, interesting background jazz and a hushed atmosphere, but again on the 2nd night we had ordered a half bottle of wine,when we got to the table it had already been decanted.I prefer to see the bottle of wine I am to drink,first.
On departure,on checking the bill I found we had been charged an extra £40 for 2 bottles of wine we had' nt had,the amount was taken off the bill without quibble,but we felt a system of signing for what we had at the time would make for a more efficient system both for the customer and the hotel especially as the receptionist said"Thank you for checking the bill,most people ring up after they get home to query the bill" Hmm.
I realise this review goes against the majority here, but I can only report on what I found on my stay and we left feeling a little disappointed ,especially for the price we had paid,we expected better.

1  Thank italytraveller099
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

This is a copy of the email I have sent directly:

I have searched in vain for your comment sheet but have not been able to find it.
There were over a hundred waiting for me after my holiday and we have been back though them all to double check.

So anyway, I was sorry to see your comments on Trip Advisor and thanks for your patience.

I'm not going to try to make excuses but would make a couple of comments:
Canapés: We agree, if our team are describing them as canapés and not nibbles then it's wrong. It creates the wrong expectation.
Portions: Re coffee and orange juice, toast croissants or anything; we obviously failed to get the message across.
We should always say "if you need more just ask". We frequently do top ups of these things and do not charge for seconds! It also means what you get is (i.e. toast) freshly done.

I had dinner with a guest last night and certainly walked away from the table feeling like I'd had enough. After nibbles, the small amuse soup, homemade bread, a starter, main course and dessert, I was full, and I'm a big bloke. If you just judge it on the size of the main course then fair enough, it does look small, and wouldn't do if you were just having one course. However, you will see in other responses on Trip Advisor that I do agree some dishes do look too small and Chef has been told!

Wine: We do have a policy, which is my personal thing, that we open the wine when it's been ordered so that it is ready to drink by the time you get to the table. If when you do get to the table you find it's the wrong one we would of course just change it. We take the risk. We try to unfuss the service to make it better. I find it irritating in similar places to order the wine and to find that when I get to the table half an hour later it hasn't been opened so hasn't breathed and is thus not yet ready to drink. The tasting procedure one finds in smart restaurants is mostly nonsense. We smell the wine when we open it. That's all anyone needs to do to know whether it's corked or not. Many wines are stelvins (screw top) and this has eliminated corked wine of course.

Regarding the bill I have no idea what happened. It doesn't happen often though thankfully. Again, rather than asking people to sign like you have to when you are staying in a big chain hotel, we prefer to just know the guests' names and leave them to enjoy their conversation. I recently stayed at a superb hotel in India, much larger than Linthwaite, and they did the same thing, no signatures but they didn't make a mistake.

Sorry!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This was a quick weekend away. Chose Linthwaite as we have stayed before, (twice) once over the New Year. As it was a last minute event only had choice of Room 22, still cost us £250 per night with DBB and we stayed 2 nights on a saturday/sunday night (and thats with my partner barting to bring the price down). This is a standard room with shower over the bath. Room was good, but for the price expected mod cons of seperate shower. (Never stayed in this standard room before).

What I did not realise was this room does not have aircon therefore had to have windows open all night. Big Mistake as our room over looked staff quarters, who tended to sit outside eating after service, as you can imagine it became noisy.

Brought to the attention of Manager, after day 1 but no alternative was offered, although people were departing on the sunday. On our departure we completed a comments slip that had been given us, stating easy rectified with the instulation of Air Con. Since our return Mike Bevan (Owner) has replied we a couple of e-mails. Following the second e-mail received it is apparent that there has been issues before withthe lack of aircon and certain rooms being hot.

Like I've said Fab Place but do ask the question about the rooms as Mr Beven has informed me that Aircon has been installed in some possibly the new extension.

Wolfie

Room Tip: Not Room 22
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thanks very much for your kind review, and as you state we have already corresponded.

It is quite unusual for our rooms to spark off an air conditioning request. Building regulations now make new build rooms so well sealed we have to install a/c, which somehow defeats the government's aims of 'more green'. I know that many guests like to sleep with the windows open, and we rarely get a complaint about staff making noise which disturbs our guests' sleep.

With that particular room it wouldn't have been a problem if our staff hadn't made the noise. Eight rooms overlook the courtyard and 99% of the time we don't get any problems with people who do sleep with the windows open. That night someone on our team forgot how important it is to keep quiet at night when leaving the building.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 November 2012

This was a birthday treat for my wife, we stayed one night on a Saturday in the Luxury Lake View Room. The room has a private hot tub with views out on to the Lake, very romantic.
When we arrived we couldn't have felt more welcome and relaxed more quickly. The hotel has wonderful roaring fires and is set out in a way which makes you feel you have your own space in communal areas. The afternoon tea is delicious, and was enjoyed by sitting on a sofa that looked out onto Lake Windermere. Later in the afternoon I'd booked my my wife a massage treatment in the room, according to her it was divine and so relaxing she fell to sleep. The quality of the food in the evening was very good and the breakfast the next morning probably one of the best ever. Thank you Linthwaite House for a lovely night, afraid it will be a long time before we come back, we managed to spend lots (I haven't told my wife how much 'lot's' is!)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your romantic review.
I'm sorry it cost a lot but I think you thought it was worth it.
You do pay for what you get in this world. Buying cheap is often false economy.

We hope to see you back again one day,

Kind regards