“Cracking Spot”

Linthwaite House
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Cracking Spot”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a Family meal at Linthwaite for 19 of us including children, we have stayed and eaten there before and it is in a cracking spot with awsome views over Lake Windwermere. The Staff are always first class a special mention to Rob who looked after our party for the day. The food was fantastic and although not cheap well worth the money quality always stands out.

Would not hesitate in recommending Linthwaite House.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Practically Perfect in every way...

*friendly staff
*beautiful surroundings
*beautifully decorated and well laid out rooms.
*lovely menu, including local ingredients.
*great afternoon tea
*very romantic

• Stayed June 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We did not stay here as they were sold out. However we visited for Dinner. What an Evening! The hotel is in lovely setting, the food as well as service both are impeccable. Of course it is a bit expensive but we were not at all disappointed. Infact we found excellent value for money. We would definitely visit again to stay and to dine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This establishment is ideal for us!
Every aspect is wonderful and the staff from top to bottom could not be more friendly and helpful!
We have visited numerous hotels in the UK, and while a few have been more opulent none have ticked the boxes like LINTHWAITE. My wife was thrilled when I booked YET AGAIN for her recent birthday and has been looking forward ever since!
NOT disappointed!
A wonderful time was had!
The only criticism I would have are the beds are too big!
I spend all my time searching.
My wife, however thinks it's MARVELLOUS!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Lovely elegant building with distant views of Windermere and the Coniston fells. Decor and furnishings are excellent, and the ambience is warm and welcoming. Our room was fitted out to a very high standard, and we had a hot tub outside. The food was generally very good, although I was surprised that the restaurant had three and not two AA rosettes.

The downsides? Firstly drinks were highly priced, even for a country house hotel. Secondly service fell short of top rate. We arrived at 1.15pm and without establishing who we were and which room we might have, the receptionist was adamant that there were no check-ins before 2pm. At dinner on the first night, the waiter gave my wife and I menus, but mine contained the main courses twice and no starters. I returned it to him and he gave me another - in this one the starters were different from the list in my wife's menu. I returned it to him and third time I was lucky. At our first breakfast, my wife ordered smoked salmon and scrambled egg, but was served haddock and poached eggs. She sent it back, and I suspect while the correct dish was being prepared, my 'full English' sat under a lamp so it was well dried-out by the time it arrived with me. The second breakfast was as bad. We both ordered the salmon/scrambled eggs but only my wife's came. We waited, and waited, and then I told my wife to start before hers became colder. They had forgotten mine entirely. (A really good hotel would have taken my wife's away and brought two fresh-cooked plates together.)

And the price? It was high. I know we had a superior room, but this was out of season, and roughly speaking, a week at that rate would be about the same as we paid for a fantastic fourth alll-inclusive trip to the Maldives with Emirates flights the month before.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pm46
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Umm, no excuses, we obviously fell down on your stay, so humble apologies. As you can see from the many reviews on this site this is not the standard we like to operate at and I know Andy our manager will be asking some folk difficult questions. We aim for perfection but this sounded second rate.

We will endeavour to learn from this though and thanks for the honest feedback.

best wishes,

Mike Bevans
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Linthwaite empathetically combines the traditional with the modern. We have now returned 6 times. The staff are very friendly and the food outstanding. The position hosts panoramic views over Lake Windermere. Some nice short garden walks too with a delightful tarn. What we enjoy the most is the privacy and relaxed ambience. Its fairly expensive so we never stay long but it adds a little colour to black and white. Overall we always look forward to visiting the Linthwaite and will return again.

Room Tip: Room No 1 quality,
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thanks for the fine review.
No, we are not cheap, but nor are Mercedes! Like a Merc we try to provide solid reliable high quality service. And that costs money! A friend told me recently of a new hotel in London, not expensive, where he never had any contact with a human being. We believe we are in the hospitality business and that's all about people.

I love your comparison of Linthwaite/colour to black and white normality!

We hope to welcome you back again soon,

best wishes,

Mike
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Recently stayed for two nights including breakfast and dinner celebrating our wedding anniversary. We have stayed at this hotel on several previous occasions and it never fails to deliver. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a superior standard bedroom (Room 32) and have no complains about standard, cleanliness and decor.

First evening we decided to have the eight course taster menu and what a great decision. Food and accompanying wines could not be faulted and very enjoyable. Certainly would recommend the Bombay curry coated cod, it was excellent. In fact so good I ordered it as the main course the following evening! Breakfasts were just as good and great way to start the day especially when heading out for long walks.

The staff are very friendly, helpful and refer to you by name which is a nice personal touch.

Hotel is a little way outside Bowness but conveniently positioned in woodlands on the side of a hill overlooking Windermere. The hotel has been extended and modernised over the past few years and is very presentable with a homely feel. Would certainly recommend this hotel if looking for a comfortable and relaxing break. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Onleaveagain
mikebevans, Owner at Linthwaite House, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Ah, thanks very much. It is gratifying to see such a beautifully written review.

We are obviously delighted you enjoyed it all and look forward to being able to welcome you back again one day,

Kind regards

Mike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Linthwaite House? Share your experiences!