Put simply, Linthwaite House is the benchmark against which we will judge any boutique hotel in the UK. We have yet to find one better. It isn't cheap but despite the prices the place is always full, (but never seems crowded).
We have just had our wedding there, (which was perfect) so it might be easy for us to be dewy eyed about the hotel, but this was our third trip to Linthwaite and every occasion compels us to return. It was the obvious choice for our wedding.
The location sells itself, set in beautiful grounds overlooking Lake Windermere's southern end (Bowness is mercifully out of sight).
The rooms are all fantastic - we have stayed in the new loft suite (31) which is awesome, but also in what the hotel think is their least attractive room, which was itself entirely satisfactory.
The food is as spectacular as the view. Full of little touches of genius, but with quality throughout, Linthwaite is not only our favourite hotel in Britain, but one of our favourite restaurants as well.
The whole ambience of the hotel is relaxed, quiet and calm. A pot of tea is never more than a polite request away. There is ample lounge and conservatory area for all guests to relax in comfort.
But the best thing about Linthwaite is the service. The staff are all amazing. Not only do they patiently cater for your every need, they genuinely seem to enjoy their work, and they all seem to have a very gentle demeanor about them, which is both reassuring as well as welcoming.
As for the wedding, we couldn't be happier with Linthwaite. The hotel has its own wedding co-ordinator. I understand the hotel hosts about 30 weddings per year, but we felt like we were the only ones throughout. The co-ordinator does a fantastic job in helping with the planning, keeping momentum and answering queries.
On our wedding day (27 March 2009) the staff were again amazing. If readers think that we are easily pleased then read our other reviews - after three visits to Linthwaite, we simply cannot fault their staff or the hotel.
For new visitors to the lake district, I regret to report that the high level of competition does not always drive up quality... but there are some places with a real passion for delivering great service. Linthwaite is one such place, and if anyone knows of a better hotel experience to be had in the UK, then I would be delighted to hear about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The latest addition to the Leeu Collection portfolio is Linthwaite House, a 36-room country house retreat overlooking Lake Windermere in England’s scenic Lake District. Breathtaking views, private gardens and woodland grounds, and an award-winning restaurant make for an idyllic stay. Linthwaite House will be closed for refurbishment from Monday the 19th of June until Spring 2018. Leeu Collection will be upgrading this popular Lake District boutique hotel in order to bring you an even better, more beautiful Linthwaite House. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Linthwaite House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Linthwaite Hotel Windermere
- Linthwaite House Hotel
- Linthwaite House Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District